Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

Developer Discussion mailing list
Hi Team,

I have got a few thousand cleaned GPX files of motorbikes. These trace files majorly represent missing roads in OSM (which I have derived by using months of bikers data and identifying tracepoints which are not near any of the road segments in OSM).
I want to contribute to OSM on a regular basis and want to take an opinion on my workflow for submission of these trace files to OSM.

Workflow:
 2. Pass some GPS-tags, e.g. name, id, status, etc. So, that I can query data that I have uploaded.
 3. Have a team of 2-3 people who can then use JOSM or other editors to make ways/roads from this GPX data to OSM

Questions:
 1. Is this a correct workflow for uploading and making ways/roads from GPX files?
 2. Can I use GPS-tags to track of how many gpx files have been converted into ways/roads?

Also, Is there any alternative to have this capability?

Awaiting a quick response.

Ajay Singh

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

Joseph Eisenberg
Ajay,

It's great that you are adding more GPS traces for mappers to use.
These are really helpful for checking the offset of aerial imagery and
finding roads and paths to map.

I think you first 2 steps look fine. As far as tags for GPS traces,
you can look at some other traces in your area to see what mappers
usually add. It's common to mention that the trace was obtained by
motorcycle, for example

For the 3rd step, make sure you follow the best practice for adding
highways to OSM. Don't import the GPS traces directly.

A single GPS trace along a road will be offset from the centerline,
since the motorcyclist has to travel on one side of the road. Also,
GPS traces may have errors due to problems with poor signal or
reflections in some areas. And GPS traces have too many nodes on
strait sections, but sometimes too few around curves.

If possible, the mappers should look at more than one GPS trace on the
road: at least one from each direction, so that the center of the road
is clear. If possible, also check aerial imagery and compare to the
GPS trace. The mappers can use the GPS traces and the aerial imagery
together to find the centerline of the highway and map that, using the
right number of nodes for straight sections and curves.

Because of this, it's not possible to find out exactly how many of
your GPX files have become roads. But if you are adding GPS traces on
roads that are currently missing in OSM, it's very likely that your
work will be a main reason that new roads are added, and it will also
make them more accurate.

On 5/17/19, Ajay Singh1 via dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I have got a few thousand cleaned GPX files of motorbikes. These trace
> files majorly represent missing roads in OSM (which I have derived by using
> months of bikers data and identifying tracepoints which are not near any of
> the road segments in OSM).
> I want to contribute to OSM on a regular basis and want to take an opinion
> on my workflow for submission of these trace files to OSM.
>
> Workflow:
>  1. Upload all GPX files in bulk using OSM UI(
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Upload_GPS_tracks) or using API(
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6).
>  2. Pass some GPS-tags, e.g. name, id, status, etc. So, that I can query
> data that I have uploaded.
>  3. Have a team of 2-3 people who can then use JOSM or other editors to
> make ways/roads from this GPX data to OSM
>
> Questions:
>  1. Is this a correct workflow for uploading and making ways/roads from GPX
> files?
>  2. Can I use GPS-tags to track of how many gpx files have been converted
> into ways/roads?
>
> Also, Is there any alternative to have this capability?
>
> Awaiting a quick response.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ajay Singh

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

Developer Discussion mailing list
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your response. I've extensively cleaned the GPX data and I'm marking only those roads as 'missing' ones where I'm getting trace more than a threshold number of times, say 5 times.

Few questions -
1. Should I use something like https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager to manage the entire process?
2. As you mentioned - "If possible, the mappers should look at more than one GPS trace on the
road: ", do the mapper has to look at GPS in one tab and then make the corresponding change in openstreetmap.org? I've checked various ways to upload GPX data on OSM but I'm not getting it right.

Is there any documentation/tutorial for this process?

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 5:56 PM Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Upload_GPS_tracks) or using API(
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6).
>  2. Pass some GPS-tags, e.g. name, id, status, etc. So, that I can query
> data that I have uploaded.
>  3. Have a team of 2-3 people who can then use JOSM or other editors to
> make ways/roads from this GPX data to OSM
>
> Questions:
>  1. Is this a correct workflow for uploading and making ways/roads from GPX
> files?
>  2. Can I use GPS-tags to track of how many gpx files have been converted
> into ways/roads?
>
> Also, Is there any alternative to have this capability?
>
> Awaiting a quick response.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ajay Singh

Ajay Singh

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

I don't think this is necessary for what you are doing, unless you
have a whole team of people who are going to be working together?

"do the mapper has to look at GPS in one tab and then make the
corresponding change in openstreetmap.org?

No, if you use the iD editor on openstreetmap.org there is an option
for seeing the GPS traces in the area which have already been
uploaded: "In iD open the editor and press B (or select icon
"Background settings") then check "OpenStreetMap GPS traces"

I think it takes a few hours for them to show up after they are imported.

Also note that the GPS trace needs to be uploaded as a public trace to
show up in the iD editor GPS layer:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Visibility_of_GPS_traces

In JOSM it's possible to either download all of the GPS traces in a
certain area from the servers, or also to directly open an individual
GPX file (or several at one time) and view them along with the
existing OSM data and aerial imagery layers: "In JOSM on the download
dialogue window, tick the box to fetch 'Raw GPS data'."

"I've checked various ways to upload GPX data on OSM but I'm not
getting it right."

I've always uploaded my GPS traces one at a time via
https://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/new - but I believe you can also
make a zip archive of a number of traces and upload them all as one
large GPS trace:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Web_front_end/How_to_upload_a_GPS_trace

On 5/20/19, Ajay Singh1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > query
>> > data that I have uploaded.
>> >  3. Have a team of 2-3 people who can then use JOSM or other editors to
>> > make ways/roads from this GPX data to OSM
>> >
>> > Questions:
>> >  1. Is this a correct workflow for uploading and making ways/roads from
>> GPX
>> > files?
>> >  2. Can I use GPS-tags to track of how many gpx files have been
>> > converted
>> > into ways/roads?
>> >
>> > Also, Is there any alternative to have this capability?
>> >
>> > Awaiting a quick response.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Ajay Singh
>> >

> --
> Regards,
> Ajay Singh

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

marc marc
if you want to add yourself all these missing ways in osm,
a simpler workflow :
give a part to each one
load the gpx trace with the editor of your choice
simplify and connect it to the concerned ways, add tags
upload the new ways into osm.
some will say you may send the trace too.
once finished, delete the trace of your computer
or move it to a "done" directory

and so on with the next trace until you finish your part :)

Le 20.05.19 à 15:12, Ajay Singh1 via dev a écrit :

> [...]
>      >
>      > Questions:
>      >  1. Is this a correct workflow for uploading and making
>     ways/roads from GPX
>      > files?
>      >  2. Can I use GPS-tags to track of how many gpx files have been
>     converted
>      > into ways/roads?
>      >
>      > Also, Is there any alternative to have this capability?
>      >
>      > Awaiting a quick response.
>      >
>      > --
>      > Regards,
>      > Ajay Singh
>      >
>

> --
> Regards,
> Ajay Singh

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

Thanks for the detailed information. I'll try these options.

For leveraging the tasking-manager, I was assuming that I'll need a team of mappers who will manually create the ways by looking at the trace I've uploaded. Is there any alternative way? e.g. I can just upload and someone else will make roads by looking at that trace.

Le 20.05.19 à 19:03, Ajay Singh1 a écrit :
> I can just upload and someone else will make roads by looking at that trace.

of course.
but since there is no toolsosm.org api for a contributor to download
the unprocessed traces, it is like hoping that someone else will do
all the work again that you have done of detecting that these traces are
missing ways in osm

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

Developer Discussion mailing list
Hi Marc,

Sorry for the late reply but I meant that are there any mappers whom I can hire to get the mapping done as there are thousand of roads to be mapped?

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM marc marc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 20.05.19 à 19:03, Ajay Singh1 a écrit :
> I can just upload and someone else will make roads by looking at that trace.

of course.
but since there is no toolsosm.org api for a contributor to download
the unprocessed traces, it is like hoping that someone else will do
all the work again that you have done of detecting that these traces are
missing ways in osm

Ajay Singh

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

joost
You might have a decent shot of getting volunteers to map this if you create a Maproulette challenge. I imagine the roads are sparse, and spread out of a larger area. So turn them into individual objects, which can be mapped in little time. For example, from a few dozen to a few kilometer long sections of a single road. Or perhaps a few adjecent roads. These become individual microtasks in Maproulette. You might split them up per country and get in touch with several local communities. These tasks are rather fun to do (especially if your pre-processing is good) so you might actually get some work done.

As for "how to recrute paid mappers", I'm not sure. I know Kaart and Telenav do similar work, so they might be interested. Here's some activities that follow the "organized editing guideliness", and hence have a record in "activities". Note that many of these are not commercial.

Op ma 27 mei 2019 om 11:53 schreef Ajay Singh1 via dev <[hidden email]>:
Hi Marc,

Sorry for the late reply but I meant that are there any mappers whom I can hire to get the mapping done as there are thousand of roads to be mapped?

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM marc marc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 20.05.19 à 19:03, Ajay Singh1 a écrit :
> I can just upload and someone else will make roads by looking at that trace.

of course.
but since there is no toolsosm.org api for a contributor to download
the unprocessed traces, it is like hoping that someone else will do
all the work again that you have done of detecting that these traces are
missing ways in osm

Ajay Singh

Joost Schouppe

Re: Workflow for bulk upload of GPX files

Developer Discussion mailing list
Hi Joost,

Thanks for your help. I'm exploring HOTOSM's tasking-manager for this task. Here also, we get to break down our task into smaller tasks and can be better tracked. Also, I'm trying to get in touch with other mappers to get some help here.

Is there anybody you know of who has prior experience with this process?