Working with lat and long simply

Re: Working with lat and long simply

john whelan-2

If you use OSMand find the POI then menu, search by location it displays both the latitude and longitude of the POI these can be cut and pasted in the normal way.  This works if you're offline by the way.

Barcode addresses can be created in qr4 format http://blog.qr4.nl/QR-Code-Navigation.aspx which apparently when scanned can invoke OSMand centred on the location.

Cheerio John

On 10 Sep 2016 11:50 pm, "Oleksiy Muzalyev" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/09/16 23:02, john whelan wrote:

So essentially we're saying it's just a matter of documentation.  OSMand has the capability to display the lat and long of a poi as well and this can be cut and pasted so it looks as if we can use lat and long as an address system.

Thanks John

I would not agree. It is not the case. Certainly, one can find coordinates of a node, or find them in a link produced in the Share section.

But there is no way to make a single click on a house and get two figures of latitude and longitude to the clipboard, or in a popup message box for copying. Not of a middle of the screen, not as part of an URL, but just of the place of the one click.

I encountered exactly this problem when I was trying to explain a person how to find coordinates for the Upload photo page of Wikimedia. I've made screen shots, where I showed the link from the Share of the OSM and how to cut latitude and longitude of a marker from this URL. It seems relatively simple for me, but this person said, - no it is too complicated and added the photo without coordinates.

Reverse Query: https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=51.5171393,-0.094835 does work, but it does not produce a marker pointing to the house. It requires formatting, - coma between, and if there is say semicolon between it does not work.

If latitude and longitude are to be used as an address system in the regions just getting online, extracting lat and long from the OSM should be in one click on a house while a marker appears on it after the click, and getting a marker back on this house via search on two real numbers separated by coma, semicolon, space, etc.

Best regards,
Oleksiy

Re: Working with lat and long simply

Oleksiy Muzalyev

Il giorno 11 set 2016, alle ore 05:50, Oleksiy Muzalyev [hidden email] ha scritto:

I encountered exactly this problem when I was trying to explain a person how to find coordinates for the Upload photo page of Wikimedia

btw, the coordinates of a photo should be the location from where it was taken, not where it points to/what is on it

cheers,
Martin
Dear Martin,

You are right. For photos it is clear. Some photo-cameras are even capable to add coordinates to photos, and then Camera location lat and lon fields at the Wikipedia upload page are filled in automatically.

However, it is not so clear for videos. Wikimedia allows now to upload HD videos. For example, last weekend I filmed a documentary video of Fort des Rousses and added it to the Wikipedia page [1]. It is the second by territory military fort of France, 21 ha, constructed in the 19th century. I filmed it from the ground walking around its walls and from the air flying around.

The nearby lake Lac des Rousses [2] is even larger, 0.9 km2. My aerial and ground cameras moved around it while filming quite long distances.

In such cases I select the middle of the area which was filmed at the OSM map Share section, copy & paste the link to a text editor, remove parts of the URL leaving only two real numbers of lat and lon, and then I add these coordinates manually to the Camera location lat and lon fields at the Wikimedia upload page. It requires some additional manual work, a text editor, but it is doable and even kind of simple. But I could not explain this process to a non-IT colleague via e-mails even with screen shots.

With best regards,
Oleksiy

[1] https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_des_Rousses
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac_des_Rousses

(switch to resolution 1080P from default 480P at Wikipedia video-player if viewing videos)