XAPI

Fredy Yanez
Good afternoon,

I'm working for a no profit and our goal is to measure internet connectivity for every school in the world. It would be very beneficial is we had access to every school within the database. To do this I've been trying to use XAPI and I'm having a few errors.

For example when I try to use XAPI URLs:
 wget --timeout=0 http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.6/node[amenity=schools] -O data.osm

I get this link as a response:

http://www.informationfreeway.org/noapi.html

and in data.osm I get :

/////////////////////////

<!-- Avoid logging 404 errors when /api requests received -->

No API

////////////////////////

I was wondering what I'm doing wrong?

My guess is that I'm not authenticating or something along those lines.

What is the best way to solve this problem ?

Thanks !

Fredy

Re: XAPI

SimonPoole

There are multiple reasons why this is not going to work, not the least that there have been no public native XAPI servers available for a very long time.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi

But in any case extracting anything for the whole world from any API is not a good idea, I would suggest downloading a planet dump and filtering the objects out of it, or asking a friendly operator of a osm2pgsql server with the whole planet imported to generate a list of schools for you.

The other thing to take in to account, that while we undoubtedly have a lot of schools in OSM and in some areas will have 100% coverage this is definitely not universal.

Simon

Am 07.08.2017 um 17:43 schrieb Fredy Yanez:
[...]

Thanks!

I understand that i might not get 100% coverage. That is okay. Any data that I can get is useful.

How would one go about contacting a friendly operator of a osm2pgsql server?

Fredy

Re: XAPI

Fredy Yanez

JSON would be great!

It would be nice to get all schools (k-12) and all the information that is available in regards to the school ( i.e name of school, lat & long, if possible country, state/providence etc).

Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks so much!!!

Fredy

Re: XAPI

Dave F

On 07/08/2017 17:08, Simon Poole wrote:

There are multiple reasons why this is not going to work,

One of them is it's amenity=school not schools

DaveF

Re: XAPI

Fredy Yanez
I tried both.

It seems like I pasted the wrong line of code here.

Sorry about that,

Fredy

There are multiple reasons why this is not going to work,

One of them is it's amenity=school not schools

DaveF

Re: XAPI

Paul Hartmann-2
On 07.08.2017 18:08, Simon Poole wrote:
> There are multiple reasons why this is not going to work, not the least
> that there have been no public native XAPI servers available for a very
> long time.
>
> See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi

The new query system is Overpass API, which has basically superseded
XAPI. It is a fairly simple task to extract the data for a limited
region. However, overall there are about 800,000 objects tagged
amanity=school in the database, so this is too much to handle for
Overpass API in a single request.

If you are determined, you can split the world into several regions and
download the list of schools for each separately. (Make sure to increase
the timeout parameter, the default is somewhat low.)

Paul