Yet another free (GPL) .img generating application...

Yet another free (GPL) .img generating application...

Nick Whitelegg-2

Re: Yet another free (GPL) .img generating application...

Nick Whitelegg-2
>http://www.geocities.com/garminmaploader

Oops... should have read it a bit more carefully, it's actually for
*uploading* .img files...

Still, with all these bits of software there's probably enough there to
develop something to go straight from the live OSM database to your GPS
unit...

Nick

Re: Yet another free (GPL) .img generating application...

Steve Ratcliffe-2
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 06:02:28PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Oops... should have read it a bit more carefully, it's actually for
> *uploading* .img files...

Thats true, but it also does an important part of writing out the file
too.  The .img format is like a filesystem that contains several different
files.  If you have several maps they need to be combined into
one with the name gmapsupp.img by copying all the contained files from
each map into the one file along with some kind of index file.

Thats what GPSexplorer does, I believe, as well as the reverse
transformation to extract maps.  I wasn't able to get it to work, only
because of issues with the garmin_gps kernel module not working for me, but
I'd be interested if anyone has success with it though.

..Steve