YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

Vincent Privat-2
Hello,
We receive more and more tickets about performance problems when
zooming/panning the map.
The subject is complex and to help analyzing it I asked to YourKit a free
license for JOSM, as neither VisualVM nor Java Mission Control match my
need to find hotspots:
https://www.yourkit.com/java/profiler/features/

They agreed so we can receive personal licenses for every JOSM core
developer interested in using this tool.

In return they require that we place a small free-form text
acknowledgment/testimonial at the project web site. The acknowledgment
should contain:

1) The YourKit logo and a text that JOSM uses YourKit profiler. The
following logo must be used:
https://www.yourkit.com/images/yklogo.png

2) Acknowledgment should contain a hyperlink reference to YourKit web site.
For example:
"YourKit supports open source projects with its full-featured Java Profiler.
YourKit, LLC is the creator of <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, innovative and intelligent tools
for profiling Java and .NET applications."

I tried the tool with a trial license and it is really great so it will
help to fix performance bottlenecks.

@Dirk: no objection to add this to the JOSM website?
@team: for those interested, please send me in private your name, surname
and e-mail information you would like to share with YourKit to obtain the
personal license. I'll send the list by Friday.

Cheers,
Vincent

Re: YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

Dirk Stöcker
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Vincent Privat wrote:

> In return they require that we place a small free-form text
> acknowledgment/testimonial at the project web site. The acknowledgment
> should contain:
>
> 1) The YourKit logo and a text that JOSM uses YourKit profiler. The
> following logo must be used:
> https://www.yourkit.com/images/yklogo.png
>
> 2) Acknowledgment should contain a hyperlink reference to YourKit web site.
> For example:
> "YourKit supports open source projects with its full-featured Java Profiler.
> YourKit, LLC is the creator of <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
> java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, innovative and intelligent tools
> for profiling Java and .NET applications."

Can we choose that text? I'd prefer an honest text instead of Marketing
BlaBla.

Like

JOSM core developers are uing the <a
href="https://www.yourkit.com/java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>,
as we found other tools lacking required functionality for profiling.
YourKit supports open source projects by granting developers free
licenses.

> @Dirk: no objection to add this to the JOSM website?

Would it be ok on one (or more) of the development related pages like

https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide

That's one click away from the start page.

Ciao
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

Vincent Privat
I guess we can chose our own text, that was only the marketing example they
gave me :)
For the page, any page is OK. If you look at the list of supported projects:
https://www.yourkit.com/customers/

The page linked there is not always the front page. For example ActiveMQ
has defined a "thanks" page:
http://activemq.apache.org/thanks.html

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Vincent Privat wrote:
>
> In return they require that we place a small free-form text
>> acknowledgment/testimonial at the project web site. The acknowledgment
>> should contain:
>>
>> 1) The YourKit logo and a text that JOSM uses YourKit profiler. The
>> following logo must be used:
>> https://www.yourkit.com/images/yklogo.png
>>
>> 2) Acknowledgment should contain a hyperlink reference to YourKit web
>> site.
>> For example:
>> "YourKit supports open source projects with its full-featured Java
>> Profiler.
>> YourKit, LLC is the creator of <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
>> java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, innovative and intelligent
>> tools
>> for profiling Java and .NET applications."
>>

> Can we choose that text? I'd prefer an honest text instead of Marketing
> BlaBla.
>
> Like
>
> JOSM core developers are uing the <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
> java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, as we found other tools
> lacking required functionality for profiling. YourKit supports open source
> projects by granting developers free licenses.
>
> @Dirk: no objection to add this to the JOSM website?
>>

> Would it be ok on one (or more) of the development related pages like
>
> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide
>
> That's one click away from the start page.
>
> Ciao
> --
> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

Vincent Privat
I only got answer from Dirk. Nobody else interested? Paul, Wiktor, Michael?

> I guess we can chose our own text, that was only the marketing example
> they gave me :)
> For the page, any page is OK. If you look at the list of supported
> projects:
> https://www.yourkit.com/customers/
>
> The page linked there is not always the front page. For example ActiveMQ
> has defined a "thanks" page:
> http://activemq.apache.org/thanks.html

>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Vincent Privat wrote:
>>
>> In return they require that we place a small free-form text
>>> acknowledgment/testimonial at the project web site. The acknowledgment
>>> should contain:
>>>
>>> 1) The YourKit logo and a text that JOSM uses YourKit profiler. The
>>> following logo must be used:
>>> https://www.yourkit.com/images/yklogo.png
>>>
>>> 2) Acknowledgment should contain a hyperlink reference to YourKit web
>>> site.
>>> For example:
>>> "YourKit supports open source projects with its full-featured Java
>>> Profiler.
>>> YourKit, LLC is the creator of <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
>>> java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, innovative and intelligent
>>> tools
>>> for profiling Java and .NET applications."
>>>

>> Can we choose that text? I'd prefer an honest text instead of Marketing
>> BlaBla.
>>
>> Like
>>
>> JOSM core developers are uing the <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
>> java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, as we found other tools
>> lacking required functionality for profiling. YourKit supports open source
>> projects by granting developers free licenses.
>>
>> @Dirk: no objection to add this to the JOSM website?
>>>

>> Would it be ok on one (or more) of the development related pages like
>>
>> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide
>>
>> That's one click away from the start page.
>>
>> Ciao
>> --
>> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

Jo-2
Hi Vincent,

Do you think it makes sense Biswesh learns how this works?

Jo

Op vr 22 jun. 2018 om 19:46 schreef Vincent Privat <[hidden email]
>:

> I only got answer from Dirk. Nobody else interested? Paul, Wiktor, Michael?

> > I guess we can chose our own text, that was only the marketing example
> > they gave me :)
> > For the page, any page is OK. If you look at the list of supported
> > projects:
> > https://www.yourkit.com/customers/
> >
> > The page linked there is not always the front page. For example ActiveMQ
> > has defined a "thanks" page:
> > http://activemq.apache.org/thanks.html

> >> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Vincent Privat wrote:
> >>
> >> In return they require that we place a small free-form text

> >> Can we choose that text? I'd prefer an honest text instead of Marketing
> >> BlaBla.
> >>
> >> Like
> >>
> >> JOSM core developers are uing the <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
> >> java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, as we found other tools
> >> lacking required functionality for profiling. YourKit supports open
> source
> >> projects by granting developers free licenses.
> >>
> >> @Dirk: no objection to add this to the JOSM website?
> >>>

> >> Would it be ok on one (or more) of the development related pages like
> >>
> >> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide
> >>
> >> That's one click away from the start page.
> >>
> >> Ciao
> >> --
> >> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

Michael Zangl-3

I'm interested (since I already did quite some profiling on the
rendering stuff).

But to be honest, I probably won't have the time to do anything useful
in that direction this year.

Michael

On 22.06.2018 19:46, Vincent Privat wrote:

> I only got answer from Dirk. Nobody else interested? Paul, Wiktor, Michael?

>> I guess we can chose our own text, that was only the marketing example
>> they gave me :)
>> For the page, any page is OK. If you look at the list of supported
>> projects:
>> https://www.yourkit.com/customers/
>>
>> The page linked there is not always the front page. For example ActiveMQ
>> has defined a "thanks" page:
>> http://activemq.apache.org/thanks.html

>>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Vincent Privat wrote:
>>>
>>> In return they require that we place a small free-form text

>>> Can we choose that text? I'd prefer an honest text instead of Marketing
>>> BlaBla.
>>>
>>> Like
>>>
>>> JOSM core developers are uing the <a href="https://www.yourkit.com/
>>> java/profiler/">YourKit Java Profiler</a>, as we found other tools
>>> lacking required functionality for profiling. YourKit supports open source
>>> projects by granting developers free licenses.
>>>
>>> @Dirk: no objection to add this to the JOSM website?
>>>>

>>> Would it be ok on one (or more) of the development related pages like
>>>
>>> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide
>>>
>>> That's one click away from the start page.
>>>
>>> Ciao
>>> --
>>> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: YourKit free license for JOSM core developers

Vincent Privat
Wiki updated: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide#YourKit
We should receive the licenses tomorrow.
Cheers,
Vincent