amenity=taxi vehicle type

Tom Pfeifer
Following a discussion on osm-carto [1], I am looking for a suitable tagging of taxi services that
are not passenger cars.

Examples are motorcycle taxis and rickshaws.

While the original approval for amenity=taxi (32k) [2] does not specify the vehicle type, some
additions were introduced in 2013 [3], apparently from the Philippines community [4], to add the
following tags:

+ motorcar=yes|no (usage 289, mostly Philippines)
+ motorcycle=yes|no (usage 290, mostly Philippines)

The problem I see here that this method hijacks access-tags, while the intention is to specify the
type of the taxi. The next best candidates for the type are also already occupied with access tagging:

taxi=yes|no (18k)
vehicle=* (203k)

Thus I propose to discourage the use of those access tags, and to use a new subtag for the type of
the taxi with an unambiguous key, e.g.:

taxi_type = car|motorcycle|rickshaw, etc,
while car is considered the implicit default.

tom

[1] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3621

[2] archived Approved features/Tag:amenity=taxi :
     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?oldid=62088

[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3Dtaxi&diff=next&oldid=763230

[4]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines/Mapping_conventions#Commuter_Transportation_.2F_Auto_Shops_.26_Services

Re: amenity=taxi vehicle type

Joseph Eisenberg
Alternately, we could use amenity=motorcycle_taxi and amenity=pedicab(? is this the British terminology?)

Here in Indonesia there are separate, unrelated words for each type of hired vehicle, and they serve different markets. In a way they are all related, just like buses, streetcars and subways are all forms of urban public transit, but I think most people do not expect a motorcycle when they look for a “taxi”?

But I would be happy with either option

On 05/01/19 10:34, Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Following a discussion on osm-carto [1], I am looking for a suitable
> tagging of taxi services that are not passenger cars.
>
> Examples are motorcycle taxis and rickshaws.
>
> While the original approval for amenity=taxi (32k) [2] does not
> specify the vehicle type, some additions were introduced in 2013 [3],
> apparently from the Philippines community [4], to add the following tags:
>
> + motorcar=yes|no (usage 289, mostly Philippines)
> + motorcycle=yes|no (usage 290, mostly Philippines)
>
> The problem I see here that this method hijacks access-tags, while the
> intention is to specify the type of the taxi. The next best candidates
> for the type are also already occupied with access tagging:
>
> taxi=yes|no (18k)
> vehicle=* (203k)
>
> Thus I propose to discourage the use of those access tags, and to use
> a new subtag for the type of the taxi with an unambiguous key, e.g.:
>
> taxi_type = car|motorcycle|rickshaw, etc,

What does 'type' add to the above? For me;

taxi=car/motorcycle/rickshaw/maxicab/coco/bicitaxi/*

does the same.
Note maxicabs allow more people, or larger objects to be carried, as
well as possibly wheelchairs with a disabled person.

Re: amenity=taxi vehicle type

Tordanik
On 05.01.19 02:19, Warin wrote:
> On 05/01/19 10:34, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>> taxi_type = car|motorcycle|rickshaw, etc,
>
> What does 'type' add to the above?

The key taxi=* is already in use to tag access permission for taxi
vehicles, with values such as yes|no|designated|destination|permissive.

So adding a "_type" here avoids clashing with an existing key that has a
different meaning and a different set of values.

Re: amenity=taxi vehicle type

Dolly Andriatsiferana
In a way they are all related, just like buses, streetcars and subways are all forms of urban public transit, but I think most people do not expect a motorcycle when they look for a “taxi”?
+1
I wouldn't be comfortable to tag a station for rickshaws as amenity=taxi. And then it renders on the map with a car icon. Unless there are stations with mixed vehicle types (in Madagascar they always have separate dedicated stations), wouldn't it be preferable using a different value of amenity=* or something else and leave amenity=taxi for "taxis"?

On 05/01/19 21:27, Tobias Knerr wrote:

> On 05.01.19 02:19, Warin wrote:
>> On 05/01/19 10:34, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>>> taxi_type = car|motorcycle|rickshaw, etc,
>> What does 'type' add to the above?
> The key taxi=* is already in use to tag access permission for taxi
> vehicles, with values such as yes|no|designated|destination|permissive.

Good point!

> So adding a "_type" here avoids clashing with an existing key that has a
> different meaning and a different set of values.

But 'type' does not say much. Better to specify what type of 'type' is to be used :)

In this case it is the type of vehicle.. so taxi_vehicle= car/motorcycle/rickshaw/* ?

On 05.01.2019 23:55, Warin wrote:
> But 'type' does not say much. Better to specify what type of 'type' is to be used :)
>
> In this case it is the type of vehicle.. so taxi_vehicle= car/motorcycle/rickshaw/* ?

Thanks, I consider that the best idea so far!

On 05.01.2019 16:13, Dolly Andriatsiferana wrote:
 > wouldn't it be preferable using a different value of amenity=* or
 > something else and leave amenity=taxi for "taxis"?

Using a new amenity value for a feature that we currently have about 300x in the database
leads to further tag fragmentation. According to previous discussion the alternative vehicles
are indeed called motorcycle taxi etc.

So, amenity=taxi lets the data consumer evaluate individual transportation for hire, and
taxi_vehicle specifies it in more detail.

tom

Re: amenity=taxi vehicle type

Warin
On 06/01/19 10:25, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> On 05.01.2019 23:55, Warin wrote:
>> But 'type' does not say much. Better to specify what type of 'type'
>> is to be used :)
>>
>> In this case it is the type of vehicle.. so taxi_vehicle=
>> car/motorcycle/rickshaw/* ?
>
> Thanks, I consider that the best idea so far!

I just don't like 'type' .. glad you like the suggested change. If it is
the 'best suggestion' then your doing very well.

On 5. Jan 2019, at 01:58, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alternately, we could use amenity=motorcycle_taxi and amenity=pedicab(? is this the British terminology?)

there are also water taxis (with boats),  Venice comes to mind, but there are also others.

Cheers, Martin

Re: amenity=taxi vehicle type

AlaskaDave
In Alaska, which is largely roadless, there are countless air-taxis and many water-taxis.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 7:45 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sent from a phone

On 5. Jan 2019, at 01:58, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alternately, we could use amenity=motorcycle_taxi and amenity=pedicab(? is this the British terminology?)

there are also water taxis (with boats),  Venice comes to mind, but there are also others.

Cheers, Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Re: amenity=taxi vehicle type

Paul Allen

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 at 08:29, Phake Nick <[hidden email]> wrote:
And there are also Tuk Tuk (Auto-Ricksaw?) in SE Asia, the use of golf cart to offer for-hire service at some specific enclosed locality like theme parks

Peach Tree City, Georgia (population 35,000) has 94 miles of golf cart tracks reaching almost
every destination.  Over 9,000 households own a golf cart.  I don't know if any company there
runs golf cart taxis, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.  Golf cart hire for tourists is more
likely, but there may be a golf cart taxi or two.  So golf cart taxis probably ought to be
taggable, because sooner or later somebody will need to map one.

--
Paul