applet developments - interface prototype

applet developments - interface prototype

Tom Carden
I've uploaded another test editing applet.  It's still not working on
OSM data, but it's cute.  This time you can type directly onto lines.
(You can guess where this is headed).

http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/p5/osm_lines_text/applet/

The buttons will definitely change, but for the moment you can use them
to switch modes between adding nodes, adding lines and adding text.

It might not stay as three separate modes (would one mode work?), but
for the moment it makes testing easier.

In my next OSM coding session, I'll combine this with a connection to
the OSM server so that people can use it to add/edit real data.

Comments welcome,

Tom.

Re: applet developments - interface prototype

Lars Aronsson
Tom Carden wrote:
> I've uploaded another test editing applet.  It's still not working on OSM
> data, but it's cute.  This time you can type directly onto lines. (You can
> guess where this is headed).
>
> http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/p5/osm_lines_text/applet/

Super! But what about non-ASCII letters like åäö?  (Needless to
say, you should use Unicode for this, to include Chinese etc.)
Is it a charset problem or a font problem?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: applet developments - interface prototype

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Lars Aronsson]
> Super! But what about non-ASCII letters like ????  (Needless to say,
> you should use Unicode for this, to include Chinese etc.)  Is it a
> charset problem or a font problem?

Or not unicode, but ISO-10646 with 32 bit encoding.  (I believe
Unicode specifies 16 bit encoding - not sure, might be a rumor.)

Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Tom Carden wrote:
>
>>I've uploaded another test editing applet.  It's still not working on OSM
>>data, but it's cute.  This time you can type directly onto lines. (You can
>>guess where this is headed).
>>
>>http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/p5/osm_lines_text/applet/
>

> Super! But what about non-ASCII letters like ���?

Good point.

> (Needless to
> say, you should use Unicode for this, to include Chinese etc.)

Sure.  It's just Java Strings internally, and I think they're UTF-8 by
default.

> Is it a charset problem or a font problem?

Almost certainly a font problem. Processing handles fonts in a funny way
(as little bitmaps - fast but clumsy).

I'm probably planning on implementing this in Java2d when I'm done
experimenting, so the font rendering should be a bit sharper (and
exporting to vector formats like SVG will be free).

Thanks for trying it.

Tom.