basic use of osm2pgsql to import a small .osm file into a postGIS database

basic use of osm2pgsql to import a small .osm file into a postGIS database

Andrew Salzberg
Hi,

i have a small .osm file extracted from the overpass api, and I was hoping to load it into a postGIS database using osm2pgsql.

I have the .osm file, and i have osm2pgsql on my mac, and i have postgres running on my machine (and pgadmin to poke around). But - I can't seem to find a good newbie description of loading an .osm file (not necessarily planet.osm) into a postgis database - maybe someone on the list can point me in the right direction? Or maybe give me some quick pointers?

thanks in advance!

Andrew

Re: basic use of osm2pgsql to import a small .osm file into a postGIS database

Sajjad Anwar

Hello,

On May 19, 2013 5:55 AM, "Andrew Salzberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have a small .osm file extracted from the overpass api, and I was hoping to load it into a postGIS database using osm2pgsql.
>
> I have the .osm file, and i have osm2pgsql on my mac, and i have postgres running on my machine (and pgadmin to poke around). But - I can't seem to find a good newbie description of loading an .osm file (not necessarily planet.osm) into a postgis database - maybe someone on the list can point me in the right direction? Or maybe give me some quick pointers?

This is from an old blog post that I wrote:

Next, we need to setup a database to load the OSM data. This could be done in the following steps.

$ sudo -u postgres createuser <username>
$ sudo -u postgres createdb -E UTF8 -O <username> <dbname>
$ sudo -u postgres createlang plpgsql <dbname>

Now add the postgis extensions. Note the location of the lwpostgis.sql file may vary.

$ sudo -u postgres psql -d <dbname> -f /usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql

(later versions of postgresql, the lwpostgis.sql file has been renamed to postgis.sql)

Next give access to the user to update the postgis metatables.

$ sudo -u postgres psql -d <dbname> -c “ALTER TABLE geometry_columns OWNER TO <username>”

$ sudo -u postgres psql -d <dbname> -c “ALTER TABLE spatial_ref_sys  OWNER TO <username>”

Apply  900913 diff which is not normally included with postgis, you can get it from the source of osm2pgsql. To add it you should run:

$ sudo -u postgres psql -d <dbname> -f 900913.sql

Run, osm2pgsql, this should load the OSM data into the database we just created.

$ osm2pgsql <osm_file> -d <database_name> -U <user_name>

The complete post is here http://sajjad.in/2010/04/bridging-the-gap/

It uses PostgreSQL 8.3. I hope you are using 9.1.

Also, see the OSM wiki for more details: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/PostGIS_Setup

Cheers,
Sajjad.