bicycle "sharrows"

Bill Leddy
Hi all,

I'm working on a project to document the bike sparrows (shared_lane) markers panted on the streets in Sacramento CA. I doubt this is a detail that many people would be interested in seeing on a map, be would like to have it available for our planning.

Is there an existing tag structure for this?

Do you know of any projects that have a renderer that would display them?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Bill Leddy

Re: bicycle "sharrows"

john whelan-2
​cycleway lane?  bicycle=yes?  Have a dig in wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features
​ and remember that to be viewable in things such as OSMAND cycle routing and the cycle maps the renderer has to be able to understand the tags.

Cheerio John​

On 13 October 2014 17:13, Bill Leddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm working on a project to document the bike sparrows (shared_lane) markers panted on the streets in Sacramento CA. I doubt this is a detail that many people would be interested in seeing on a map, be would like to have it available for our planning.

Is there an existing tag structure for this?

Do you know of any projects that have a renderer that would display them?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Bill Leddy

Re: bicycle "sharrows"

Dave Mansfield

Looking at this link it looks like cycleway=shared_lane is the correct tag for a lane with sharrows.

Re: bicycle "sharrows"

Bill Leddy
Thanks John.

I think I understand the basics of tagging the way as cycleway=shared_lane but what we want to do is place a point on the map to indicate the location of the sharrow markers on the road way. I think that should be distinct from the way itself.

I'm hoping that there is a public renderer out there that is doing something like this so we could find an appropriate key and value and have it show up. (we can always dream, can't we?)

Bill

On Oct 13, 2014, at 3:49 PM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks again, John.

Maperitive sounds like it will do what we need to do. A live map would be handy, but It sounds like Maperitive will give me plenty of control over the display.

As to why we want to record the positions; there are a lot of bike routes with markings and signage that don't meet the current standards. The city says they will fix them over time but they want us to give them a list.

Bill

On Oct 13, 2014, at 5:06 PM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

William Leddy
John,

I found a key road_marker in the OSM wiki that seems to fit my need with a value of sharrow.

Do you (or anyone else on the list) have any experience with uMap? Comments?

Thanks for all your help.

Bill

On Oct 13, 2014, at 5:54 PM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stewart C. Russell
On 14-10-14 01:44 AM, William Leddy wrote:

> Do you (or anyone else on the list) have any experience with uMap? Comments?

Yes. It's good. If you want to share map detail you've drawn, it's about
the simplest way to do so. I haven't used it for group collaborative
mapping, and I don't think you can have it render on top of custom tiles.

Mapping individual road markings in OSM may not be ideal. Road features
are typically within about 5 m of true, if GPS surveyed, and who knows
where if they're from old TIGER data. If you're arguing with the city
down to legal placement of markings, your GPS might not even plot these
markings as being on a road. Ways (roads) are usually marked as
centrelines, and the ROW width only hinted at in the rendering.

cheers,
 Stewart

Re: bicycle "sharrows"

Bill Leddy
Thanks Stewart. I'll spend some time with uMap. Overpass Turbo also looks interesting but maybe more complex.

We are actually doing a physical survey to measure the sharrow placements. The mapping is really more my thing cuz it would be nice to sit back and see the work of all the measuring. Keep the troops motivated, etc.

We're fortunate here in that the city staff is very supportive of alternate trans. We've had bike routes and lanes for years but not always well implemented -- At least by current standards. Like most cities in US they have to more with less money so they'll take the help when offered if they can.

Regards,
    Bill Leddy