building=bank

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

building=bank

Gerd Petermann
Hi!
I see nearly 1500 ways in OSM with the tag building=bank. Most of them are
also tagged amenity=bank
or have a node with amenity=bank inside.
The wiki doesn't mention building=bank, and the validator in JOSM assumes a
typo and complains
"Unknown property value - Value 'bank' for key 'building' is unknown, maybe
'barn' is meant?"

Since a bank is a rather special kind of building the tag seems quite okay
to me.
I wonder if JOSM should print no warning or maybe suggest to use
building=yes instead?




--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

dieterdreist


Am So., 26. Mai 2019 um 10:58 Uhr schrieb Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]>:
Hi!
I see nearly 1500 ways in OSM with the tag building=bank. Most of them are
also tagged amenity=bank
or have a node with amenity=bank inside.
The wiki doesn't mention building=bank, and the validator in JOSM assumes a
typo and complains
"Unknown property value - Value 'bank' for key 'building' is unknown, maybe
'barn' is meant?"

Since a bank is a rather special kind of building the tag seems quite okay
to me.
I wonder if JOSM should print no warning or maybe suggest to use
building=yes instead?


building=bank seems ok for me. A bank will often be a specific buiding (e.g. contain safe storage, be built according to high security standards, be built in a representative style, etc.).
I agree JOSM should not issue a warning for it, did you try to open an issue at josm.openstreetmap.de and see what they say?

The JOSM validator warnings about unknown tags are helpful to spot typos, but an unknown tag (unknown to the validator) otherwise does not imply the tag is problematic, these are just hints.

Cheers,
Martin

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

dieterdreist

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

voschix
My personal experience is that banks typically occupy part of a building only.
I could not describe any specific features that distinguishes a bank building from other office or commercial buildings. 


On Sun, 26 May 2019, 11:09 Martin Koppenhoefer, <[hidden email]> wrote:
_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

Andy Townsend
On 26/05/2019 13:42, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> My personal experience is that banks typically occupy part of a
> building only.
> I could not describe any specific features that distinguishes a bank
> building from other office or commercial buildings.
>
That's one of those things that is going to vary hugely worldwide. 
Certainly in the UK, buildings built as banks in the 19th and 20th
centuries tend to be pretty characteristic.

Best Regards,

Andy



_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

voschix
I agree with you, that there are these "churches of capitalism" that undeniably look like banks. But the problem is that this is small fraction only of all banks. 
The risk is that many typical office buildings will become bank buildings because there is a bank business inside, but not because they are "capitalist temple" buildings.
We do have already a similar confusion with church buildings and christian places of worship.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sun, 26 May 2019 at 15:09, Andy Townsend <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26/05/2019 13:42, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> My personal experience is that banks typically occupy part of a
> building only.
> I could not describe any specific features that distinguishes a bank
> building from other office or commercial buildings.
>
That's one of those things that is going to vary hugely worldwide. 
Certainly in the UK, buildings built as banks in the 19th and 20th
centuries tend to be pretty characteristic.

Best Regards,

Andy



_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

Virus-free. www.avast.com

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

Philip Barnes
On Sun, 2019-05-26 at 15:21 +0200, Volker Schmidt wrote:
I agree with you, that there are these "churches of capitalism" that undeniably look like banks. But the problem is that this is small fraction only of all banks. 
The risk is that many typical office buildings will become bank buildings because there is a bank business inside, but not because they are "capitalist temple" buildings.
We do have already a similar confusion with church buildings and christian places of worship.


Banks were often built in a corporate style, for example this http://trigpoint.myzen.co.uk/photodump/Old_Bank_in_Llanfyllin.png is an example of what I remember as a Midland Bank Corporate building.

Obviously we would only use such tags if they are obviously a bank, or had been a bank before the damaging mass closure of such important amenities.

The presence of a bank doesn't make it a building=bank.

One of the great things about mapping is that it encourages going out and looking at things, learning and piecing things together.

Phil (trigpoint)




_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

Gerd Petermann
In reply to this post by dieterdreist
dieterdreist wrote
> I agree JOSM should not issue a warning for it, did you try to open an
> issue at josm.openstreetmap.de and see what they say?
>
> The JOSM validator warnings about unknown tags are helpful to spot typos,
> but an unknown tag (unknown to the validator) otherwise does not imply the
> tag is problematic, these are just hints.

Well, I have implemented this test and I try to keep the list of false
positives small ;)

Gerd



--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building=bank

Shawn K. Quinn
In reply to this post by voschix
On 5/26/19 07:42, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> My personal experience is that banks typically occupy part of a building
> only.
> I could not describe any specific features that distinguishes a bank
> building from other office or commercial buildings. 

In a lot of US cities, particularly smaller towns and older parts of
larger cities, banks were built as separate buildings and many still are
(this local branch of my bank --
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/672138199 -- comes to mind, and it's
relatively new construction).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[hidden email]>
http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging