class=bicycle usage

Rodrigo Rodríguez
Hello,

I'm trying to map bicycle-friendly ways in my city [Managua], which
doesn't have any cycleways or lanes. I'm wondering whether I should use
the "class=bicycle" to map those ways where I usually ride on my bike
sharing with the whole traffic (cars, buses, etc.)

Is this the case where I can use this tag? I'm expecting some comments
based on your cyclist mapping experience.

Re: class=bicycle usage

Warin
On 16-Jul-17 08:45 AM, Rodrigo Rodríguez wrote:
>   I'm wondering whether I should use
> the "class=bicycle" to map those ways where I usually ride on my bike

If other cyclists use these ways too ... then it is a 'route' and should be mapped as such.
Not a question of cycle lanes .. but of use by cyclists to form a route.
These appear on the waymarked trails web site, OSMand when bicycle route option is selected.
So is of use to others, I'd think the routing engines will also pay attention them too.

Re: class=bicycle usage

Dave F
This is primarily subjective rubbish which, IMO, has no place in OSM.

"Lovely scenery." indeed <shakes head>

DaveF

On 15/07/2017 23:45, Rodrigo Rodríguez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to map bicycle-friendly ways in my city [Managua], which
> doesn't have any cycleways or lanes. I'm wondering whether I should use
> the "class=bicycle" to map those ways where I usually ride on my bike
> sharing with the whole traffic (cars, buses, etc.)
>
> Is this the case where I can use this tag? I'm expecting some comments
> based on your cyclist mapping experience.
>
> Regards,

Re: class=bicycle usage

john whelan-2
"This is primarily subjective rubbish which, IMO, has no place in OSM.

"Lovely scenery." indeed <shakes head>"

OSM has many of its roots in cycling.  A cyclist with a GPS could cover a much greater distance than a pedestrian in the days before we had the imagery we enjoy today.  If you look at the web sites that provide cycling routes many actually use OSM and provide different types of routing according to the needs of the cyclist.

Locally in Ottawa we have these things called City parks where you may cycle over many of the paths, the NCC has what are called multiuse paths that many consider to be cycle paths. These stretch for many kilometres and a few run alongside the river Ottawa, you're quite right many commuters enjoy the scenery as they cycle.  We even have a few tourists who hire a bike or bring their own to travel them.  We have highways that cyclists may use but with a 60 km/hr speed limit and high traffic volumes the more timid cyclists prefer not to use them but a number of of the "spandex" cyclists seem to relish the close contact with fast moving cars.

We have room in OSM for tagging to say this highway is lower speed limit and low volume traffic and suitable for more timid cyclists or this one is higher speed limit and volume of traffic but how we would tag I'm not sure.
We do of course have tourism=viewpoint but that isn't quite the same as a safer route for cyclists.

Cheerio John

On 15 July 2017 at 19:34, Dave F <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is primarily subjective rubbish which, IMO, has no place in OSM.

"Lovely scenery." indeed <shakes head>

DaveF

On 15/07/2017 23:45, Rodrigo Rodríguez wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to map bicycle-friendly ways in my city [Managua], which
doesn't have any cycleways or lanes. I'm wondering whether I should use
the "class=bicycle" to map those ways where I usually ride on my bike
sharing with the whole traffic (cars, buses, etc.)

Is this the case where I can use this tag? I'm expecting some comments
based on your cyclist mapping experience.

Re: class=bicycle usage

Richard Z.
On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 04:45:46PM -0600, Rodrigo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to map bicycle-friendly ways in my city [Managua], which
> doesn't have any cycleways or lanes. I'm wondering whether I should use
> the "class=bicycle" to map those ways where I usually ride on my bike
> sharing with the whole traffic (cars, buses, etc.)

assuming you mean class:bicycle=*, this is a possibility. It has been
critisized as not verifiable but realistically nobody has a better or
to be modest at least a not much worse solution.

Richard

Re: class=bicycle usage

Yves
" this highway is lower speed limit" is enough to tag, let the data consumers do the rest.
Saw this in the latest OSM Weekly:
http://k1z.blog.uni-heidelberg.de/2017/07/10/reducing-stress-by-avoiding-noise-with-quiet-routing-in-openrouteservice/
Yves

Le 16 juillet 2017 02:51:03 GMT+02:00, john whelan <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

voschix

If other cyclists use these ways too ... then it is a 'route' and should be mapped as such.
No.
Routes of type=bicycle (the ones that are visible on OpencycleMap, Waymarked Trails, and others) are waymarked routes. Other terms used are "signposted" or "trailblazed". See Cycle routes wiki page [1].

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycle_routes