click2try press release

Jody Garnett-2
Morning all:

Here is the press release for this click2try thing that was giving us
a bug report. I have tried it out and it worked okay for me; so I am a
bit confused what they are up to.

But give it a go; and if you can see the segmentation fault for uDig
we do have a chance to talk to [hidden email] to patch things up.
Jody
----
OSGeo Project Leaders,

I'm very excited about our next press release about viewing the OSGeo
Virtual Machine in a browser, as it is a major achievement toward
making it easy for people to try Geospatial Open Source Software. I
think it will likely become our most used marketing tools.

As before, could you please forward this release onto your
communities, along with a personal introduction from yourself. Maybe
something like "Here is an excellent, easy way to show <insert
project> to your friends. Just ... I look forward to hearing your
feedback."

Press release is at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35

Sydney, Australia. 16 October 2009. http://2009.foss4g.org

The Arramagong/GISVM GeoSpatial Live DVD and Virtual Machine, which
includes a stack of popular GeoSpatial Open Source Applications and is
being handed out to delegates at the FOSS4G conference, can now be
viewed from http://click2try.com from within your web browser!

All you need to do is:

  * Open this webpage:
    http://www.click2try.com/catalog/Web-Development/Geospatial/Arramagong-GISVM/details

  * Follow these steps:

 1. Click the big *Try this application now* button.
 2. Review the connection test results and fix, if necessary.
 3. Either wait for the application to launch or click the *Launch
    App* button.

  * Login to the Arramagong desktop using the login credentials in the
    Quick Start guide in the left pane of the window.
  * You should see the icons for the Geospatial applications on the
    desktop. You can start and try any application.
  * To save data, you'll need to apply for a free click2try account at
    http://www.click2try.com/component/user/?task=register.

  About Arramagong

Arramagong is a self-contained live DVD and Virtual Machine, based on
XUbuntu and GISVM, that allows you to try a wide variety of open
source geospatial software without installing anything. It is composed
entirely of free software, allowing it to be freely distributed,
duplicated and passed around. A full list of installed packages is at:
http://www.arramagong.com/Arramagong/contents.html

As explained by Cameron Shorter, coordinator of Arramagong and
Geospatial Solutions Manager at LISAsoft <http://lisasoft.com>,

"Arramagong allows users to easily try out the robust, feature rich
stack of applications offered by Geospatial Open Source. It is a
compelling marketing tool for us organisations who support Open
Source."

  About FOSS4G

http://2009.foss4g.org

FOSS4G is the international Free and Open Source Software for
Geospatial conference, which comes to Sydney, Australia, 20-23 October
2009. FOSS4G offers presentations, workshops, demos, an install-fest,
and a code sprint. It is presented by the world's best Developers,
Policy Makers, Sponsors and Geospatial Professionals and includes the
latest geospatial applications, standards, government programs,
business processes and case studies. Topics include mobile platforms,
location based applications, crowd sourcing, cloud computing,
development, spatial standards, integration of cross-agency data,
Spatial Data Infrastructures, Sensor Webs, Web Processing Services,
Integration of Open Source and Proprietary Software and more.

  About Click2Try

http://click2try.com/

click2try is an online Open Source application showroom that helps
visitors easily evaluate and use Open Source Software from within
their web browser. click2try employs a unique, advanced technology
framework, built completely on Open Source software, to provide
on-demand, multiuser, concurrent access to enterprise-level Open
Source software applications.

  Upcoming milestones

  * 20 Oct 2009, FOSS4G Workshop
  * 21-23 Oct 2009, FOSS4G Presentations and Tutorials
  * 24 Oct 2009, FOSS4G Code Sprint

  Media Sponsors

  * Position Magazine: http://www.positionmag.com.au/
  * Asian Surveying and Mapping Newsletter: http://www.asmmag.com