coastline boundaries

ligfietser
Hi,
How can I filter out all lines wich are part of boundaries that have a natural=coastline tag?
For instance this way: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/39862450

On my map I dont want to see the boundary lines along the coastlines, but in the style files I can't filter boundary=administrative & natural!=coastline. Somehow administrative boundaries are processed without the coastline tags.

Or can I use osmfilter to delete all ways that are tagged with natural=coastline AND are part of a boundary relation?

Re: coastline boundaries

ligfietser
Anyone who can explain this behaviour?
Are the tags on ways copied to boundary lines or are the boundaries treated independently?

I wrote:

> Hi,
> How can I filter out all lines wich are part of boundaries that have a
> natural=coastline tag?
> For instance this way: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/39862450
>
> On my map I dont want to see the boundary lines along the coastlines,
> but in the style files I can't filter boundary=administrative &
> natural!=coastline. Somehow administrative boundaries are processed
> without the coastline tags.
>
> Or can I use osmfilter to delete all ways that are tagged with
> natural=coastline AND are part of a boundary relation?

Re: coastline boundaries

Gerd Petermann
Hi Minko,

I am not sure if I can help here.
You use the precomp-sea option, that means that ways with natural=coastline are filtered in
this way:
a)  the tag natural=coastline is removed from the original way
b) a copy of the way with the same points is created.
This new way has a Fake-Id like 4611686018427387908 and the tags
natural=coastline,mkgmap:stylefilter=polyline
This happens before style processing. Iam not sure why this is done.

Gerd

> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 09:59:05 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] coastline boundaries
>
> Anyone who can explain this behaviour?
> Are the tags on ways copied to boundary lines or are the boundaries treated independently?
>

> I wrote:
> > Hi,
> > How can I filter out all lines wich are part of boundaries that have a
> > natural=coastline tag?
> > For instance this way: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/39862450
> >
> > On my map I dont want to see the boundary lines along the coastlines,
> > but in the style files I can't filter boundary=administrative &
> > natural!=coastline. Somehow administrative boundaries are processed
> > without the coastline tags.
> >
> > Or can I use osmfilter to delete all ways that are tagged with
> > natural=coastline AND are part of a boundary relation?

Re: coastline boundaries

ligfietser
Thanks Gerd, that explains it.

> I am not sure if I can help here.
> You use the precomp-sea option, that means that ways with
> natural=coastline are filtered in
> this way:
> a) the tag natural=coastline is removed from the original way

A better option would be to rename this tag into mkgmap:coastline=yes
(or some other tag) instead of deleting natural=coastline
so I can filter all boundaries from those ways

> b) a copy of the way with the same points is created.
> This new way has a Fake-Id like 4611686018427387908 and the tags
> natural=coastline,mkgmap:stylefilter=polyline

Thats ok with me, I dont render natural=coastline

> This happens before style processing. Iam not sure why this is done.
>
> Gerd

Re: coastline boundaries

ligfietser
Developers,
Is it possible to give a mkgmap:coastline=yes (or some other) tag to those boundaries where the coastline has been (re)moved?

Gerd wrote:
> > I am not sure if I can help here.
> > You use the precomp-sea option, that means that ways with
> > natural=coastline are filtered in
> > this way:
> > a) the tag natural=coastline is removed from the original way

Re: coastline boundaries

Gerd Petermann
Hi Minko,

I discussed that with WanMil in a pm. I'll post a patch today.

Gerd

> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:02:25 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] coastline boundaries
>
> Developers,
> Is it possible to give a mkgmap:coastline=yes (or some other) tag to those boundaries where the coastline has been (re)moved?
>
> Gerd wrote:
> > > I am not sure if I can help here.
> > > You use the precomp-sea option, that means that ways with
> > > natural=coastline are filtered in
> > > this way:
> > > a) the tag natural=coastline is removed from the original way

Re: coastline boundaries

ligfietser
Thanks Gerd!

> I discussed that with WanMil in a pm. I'll post a patch today.
>
> Gerd
>
> > Developers,
> > Is it possible to give a mkgmap:coastline=yes (or some other) tag to
> > those boundaries where the coastline has been (re)moved?

Re: coastline boundaries

Gerd Petermann
Hi Minko,

attached is a patch (works with trunk and high-prec-coord branch).
In combination with precomp-sea option
ways with natural=coastline
are kept as is, but they are only processed by  the lines rules.

A compiled binary (branch version) is here:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/177/mkgmap.jar

Please note that this contains many changes regarding routing, so
please use with care.

Gerd

> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:16:10 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] coastline boundaries
>
> Thanks Gerd!
>

> > I discussed that with WanMil in a pm. I'll post a patch today.
> >
> > Gerd
> >
> > > Developers,
> > > Is it possible to give a mkgmap:coastline=yes (or some other) tag to
> > > those boundaries where the coastline has been (re)moved?

coastline-v1.patch (3K) Download Attachment

Re: coastline boundaries

ligfietser
Hi Gerd,
Patch works as expected, I am able to clean-up the boundary coastlines now, thanks!

Regarding routing, it solves a much bigger issue:
this patch seems to solve the broken routing at the tile borders too
(pedestrians, other vehicles with motorways avoidance selected).
So this is a very promising improvement!

> attached is a patch (works with trunk and high-prec-coord branch).
> In combination with precomp-sea option
> ways with natural=coastline
> are kept as is, but they are only processed by the lines rules.
>
> A compiled binary (branch version) is here:
> http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/177/mkgmap.jar
>
> Please note that this contains many changes regarding routing, so
> please use with care.

Re: coastline boundaries

Gerd Petermann
Hi Minko,

great!
Just to make that clear:
the patch is not related to routing, the routing changes were
done from r3026 to r3036, and there is still more to do as
NodCheck still reports thousands of (similar) errors...

Gerd

> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:07:18 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] coastline boundaries
>
> Hi Gerd,
> Patch works as expected, I am able to clean-up the boundary coastlines now, thanks!
>
> Regarding routing, it solves a much bigger issue:
> this patch seems to solve the broken routing at the tile borders too
> (pedestrians, other vehicles with motorways avoidance selected).
> So this is a very promising improvement!
>

> > attached is a patch (works with trunk and high-prec-coord branch).
> > In combination with precomp-sea option
> > ways with natural=coastline
> > are kept as is, but they are only processed by the lines rules.
> >
> > A compiled binary (branch version) is here:
> > http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/177/mkgmap.jar
> >
> > Please note that this contains many changes regarding routing, so
> > please use with care.

Re: coastline boundaries

osm-8
Hi Gerd,
I don't know what you discussed with WanMil, but I think it would be
better to use mkgmap:coastline=yes in combination with precompiled sea
polygons and keep the original way completly untouched (as you did
already). In this case no special handling for natural=coastline is
necessary. Such a special handling isn't easy to understand.

While processing mkgmap has to decide, if precompliled data should be
used or original data. If precompiled data is used, mkgmap is using
mkgmap:coastline=yes for generation, otherwise natural=coastline is used.

Henning

Re: coastline boundaries

Gerd Petermann
Hi Henning,

I am not sure what you mean. Where would the tag
mkgmap:coastline be used? Do you mean that
the precompiled sea data should be passed to the style
with this tag?

Gerd

> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 19:28:01 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] coastline boundaries
>
> Hi Gerd,
> I don't know what you discussed with WanMil, but I think it would be
> better to use mkgmap:coastline=yes in combination with precompiled sea
> polygons and keep the original way completly untouched (as you did
> already). In this case no special handling for natural=coastline is
> necessary. Such a special handling isn't easy to understand.
>
> While processing mkgmap has to decide, if precompliled data should be
> used or original data. If precompiled data is used, mkgmap is using
> mkgmap:coastline=yes for generation, otherwise natural=coastline is used.
>
> Henning

Re: coastline boundaries

osm-8
Hi Gerd,

processing the precompiled data through style isn't necessary. But I
would leave it to the style-dev to take care about rendering
natural=coastline also in polygon-file or not. After thinking some
minutes more, my approach isn't that better then yours, if you remove
the ignore function for polygon-file.

Henning

Re: coastline boundaries

Gerd Petermann
Hi Henning,

okay,
first a correction : precompiled data is passed to the style (polygons),
tags are natural=sea or natural=land (or the tag configured with --land-tag)
If we also pass the osm data, we will have duplicate or heavily
overlapping shapes, so I think it is a good idea
to pass them only through the lines rules so
that you can add coastlines, as this would not work with
precompiled sea data.
Another question is if that should also be done when
option --coastlinefile is used, I don't know the content of
such a file.

Gerd