correct mapping of overtaking lanes

Ian Steer

Can someone point me to some examples of the correct method of mapping overtaking lanes on country highways?

I need examples for where it is both permissible and not permissible for the contrary direction to use the overtaking lane.

Thanks

Ian

Re: correct mapping of overtaking lanes

Andrew Harvey-3
Have you seen https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:overtaking?

PS this is for overtaking by entering the lane used by traffic going in the opposite direction, not for when a 1 lane opens up to 2 lanes to allow overtaking.

On 24 January 2018 at 18:11, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can someone point me to some examples of the correct method of mapping overtaking lanes on country highways?

I need examples for where it is both permissible and not permissible for the contrary direction to use the overtaking lane.

Thanks

Ian

Re: correct mapping of overtaking lanes

Marc Gemis
possible tags:

lanes, lanes:forward, lanes:backward, change:lanes:forward,
change:lanes:backward

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/change

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:11 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone point me to some examples of the correct method of mapping
> overtaking lanes on country highways?
>

> I need examples for where it is both permissible and not permissible for the
> contrary direction to use the overtaking lane.
>

> Thanks
>

> Ian

Re: correct mapping of overtaking lanes

Ian Steer
I've had a go at one overtaking lane, and thought I'd put it out there for comment before tackling more.

Refer way 555706763

In this case, there is no overtaking (as in you can't use the lane in the opposing direction), but there are a couple (yet to be tackled) where it is permissable for the non-overtaking lane direction to use the overtaking lane (if not in use obviously).

Ian

lanes, lanes:forward, lanes:backward, change:lanes:forward, change:lanes:backward

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/change

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:11 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone point me to some examples of the correct method of mapping
> overtaking lanes on country highways?
>

> I need examples for where it is both permissible and not permissible
> for the contrary direction to use the overtaking lane.
>

> Thanks
>

> Ian

Re: correct mapping of overtaking lanes

Ian Steer
Thanks to Phil & Marc (whose replies are below).  I finally got back to having a look at this after gathering some more data of lanes to be mapped.

The "overtaking" key seems only applicable to 2 lane roads (one each direction) - is that correct ?

The "change" key looks very promising, but the example only shows a one-directional, 3-lane road, and I'm not sure how to apply it to my situation - which is:

- An extra lane has been periodically added to create a short length (eg 1km) of 3-lane road (2 lanes one direction, and 1 in the other).
- in most cases, the 1 lane direction is NOT permitted to use the extra lane (only for use by the 2 lane direction)
- in a few cases, the 1 lane direction IS permitted to use the added lane (if it is clear of oncoming traffic) - at least for part of the 3 lane section.

--- Do you think I can use the example from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/change if the 3rd lane is in the other direction ? (by using the "lanes" key to define the forwards and backwards lane quantities)

Ian

click on the overpass turbo link in the right hand side bar of this page