deagging interface

Steve Coast
Hello

For that 'Google Maps' feel, dig:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/view-map2.html

With much thanks to Tom Carden and Mikel Maron for help, and Anselm Hook
for the base implementation.

Known bugs:

* doesn't know if you're logged in or not
* tile server can sometimes throw tiles back which have less than 2
  layers (should be 2: landsat and streets)
* mouse release outside the div doesn't forget to drag
* Safari just falls over for some reason

Please try and break/fix it and if nothing major comes up this will be
the new front page to the site.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

RE: deagging interface

ANDY ROBINSON-2
wow!

Andy Robinson
[hidden email]

Re: deagging interface

Jonathan McDowell
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:08:24PM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005, at 16:48, SteveC wrote:
> > For that 'Google Maps' feel, dig:
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/view-map2.html
>
> wow!

Seconded! This is *really* nice.

The "link to this map" doesn't seem to actually return the same map
however - always something shifted a little up in my experience.

J.

--
] http://www.earth.li/~noodles/ []     "Adding manpower to a late      [
]  PGP/GPG Key @ the.earth.li   []  software project makes it later."  [

Re: deagging interface

Steve Coast

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:08:24PM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2005, at 16:48, SteveC wrote:
> > > For that 'Google Maps' feel, dig:
> > >
> > > http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/view-map2.html
> >
> > wow!
>
> Seconded! This is *really* nice.
>
> The "link to this map" doesn't seem to actually return the same map
> however - always something shifted a little up in my experience.

Yeah. I _think_ this is because it goes to the nearest tile, or
it might be the accuracy of converting from a plane to mercator and
back...

Showstopper?

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

RE: deagging interface

ANDY ROBINSON-2
Spotted that when getting closer in some of the line segments are getting
sliced with a gap missing (does not look like a whole segment as end of line
is sliced like a runner bean)

Looked at IE too and left margin (the box below the OSM logo) is overlapping
the view/edit window.

Also noted that in Firefox I get tile frame borders showing before they
load. In IE just a blue screen.

Nice to be able to look at the whole of the UK easily but it too "yawn" too
long to load the times to zoom in from there.

Just some initial comments.

Andy Robinson

Re: deagging interface

Nick Whitelegg-2
Is it ok if I "borrow" this code for freemap? Take it it's GPLed or
something similar?

Nick

Re: deagging interface

Steve Coast
> Is it ok if I "borrow" this code for freemap? Take it it's GPLed or
> something similar?

The original was PD, I'm happy to GPL. I'd wait for the kinks to be
worked out first...

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 04:20:50PM +0000, SteveC wrote:

> * @ 17/10/05 04:25:43 PM [hidden email] wrote:

> > > wow!
> >
> > Seconded! This is *really* nice.
> >
> > The "link to this map" doesn't seem to actually return the same map
> > however - always something shifted a little up in my experience.
>
> Yeah. I _think_ this is because it goes to the nearest tile, or
> it might be the accuracy of converting from a plane to mercator and
> back...
>
> Showstopper?

No, definitely not. I think the extra ease of use of this (and shiny
value) outweighs this minor issue.

Any chance of a bigger map display though (and also in the editing
applet) as an option?

J.

--
                                            jid: [hidden email]
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Re: deagging interface

Daniel Smith-3

On 17 Oct 2005, at 16:48, SteveC wrote:

> Hello
>
> For that 'Google Maps' feel, dig:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/view-map2.html
>
> With much thanks to Tom Carden and Mikel Maron for help, and Anselm
> Hook
> for the base implementation.

For me, the next stage is an API so I can use it, a la Google Maps,
for my own
latitude and longitude specified points, with specifiable zoom level.

Such as on: http://southampton.openguides.org/?The_Stile

Getting it to the stage it is right now is very applaudable however,
and I
congratulate all of the developers on this great product.

Well done - it's very cool!

Daniel Smith

Re: deagging interface

Nick Whitelegg-2

>For me, the next stage is an API so I can use it, a la Google Maps,
>for my own
>latitude and longitude specified points, with specifiable zoom level.

I would add my vote to that. Would probably be the easiest way of using the
scrolling on Freemap, though guess I would need to implement a tiling
mechanism back-end independently.

>Such as on: http://southampton.openguides.org/?The_Stile

The Stile? Was there last night funnily enough.... :-)

Nick

Re: deagging interface

Lars Aronsson

This new viewer is very nice, but there are some issues.

1. When I recenter the map by double-clicking, the next zoom moves
to a different center point.

2. It is very slow.  Aren't tiles cached on the server?  The
zooming in and out seems to result in fixed levels of scale, e.g.
0.703125, 0.17578125, 0.0439453125, 0.010986328125,
0.00274658203125, 0.0006866455078125.  But I can also set (in the
URL) any arbitrary level of scale (e.g. 0.01000, 0.01001) and zoom
in and out from there, resulting in larger or smaller rounding
errors.  If tiles are cached at every arbitrary scaling level,
there would be no end to the storage need.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: deagging interface

Steve Coast

> This new viewer is very nice, but there are some issues.

It's still beta, thanks for the bug reports :-)

> 1. When I recenter the map by double-clicking, the next zoom moves
> to a different center point.

Double clicking is a known bug. It doesn't work in IE at the moment.

> 2. It is very slow.  Aren't tiles cached on the server?  The
> zooming in and out seems to result in fixed levels of scale, e.g.
> 0.703125, 0.17578125, 0.0439453125, 0.010986328125,
> 0.00274658203125, 0.0006866455078125.  But I can also set (in the
> URL) any arbitrary level of scale (e.g. 0.01000, 0.01001) and zoom
> in and out from there, resulting in larger or smaller rounding
> errors.  If tiles are cached at every arbitrary scaling level,
> there would be no end to the storage need.

scale maps to a integer zoom level that (should) round off errors but it
might be mapping to a non-integer zoom level which would be bad.

Any WMS image requested is cached, simply.

As for speed, you should only see tiles taking time when they're being
rendered for the first time. Why is this slow? Because of three things,
in order of my estimate:

1) the NASA Landsat server can be very, very, very slow when the
americans wake up and start using it. And we backend to that for sat
imagery.

2) MapServer is a piece of junk which I've almost replaced.

3) SQL calls for loading some of the street data isn't totally optimised

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: deagging interface

Graham Wall
What is the lifetime of the cached tiles by the way?

On 19/10/05, SteveC <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > This new viewer is very nice, but there are some issues.
>
> It's still beta, thanks for the bug reports :-)
>
> > 1. When I recenter the map by double-clicking, the next zoom moves
> > to a different center point.
>
> Double clicking is a known bug. It doesn't work in IE at the moment.
>
> > 2. It is very slow.  Aren't tiles cached on the server?  The
> > zooming in and out seems to result in fixed levels of scale, e.g.
> > 0.703125, 0.17578125, 0.0439453125, 0.010986328125,
> > 0.00274658203125, 0.0006866455078125.  But I can also set (in the
> > URL) any arbitrary level of scale (e.g. 0.01000, 0.01001) and zoom
> > in and out from there, resulting in larger or smaller rounding
> > errors.  If tiles are cached at every arbitrary scaling level,
> > there would be no end to the storage need.
>
> scale maps to a integer zoom level that (should) round off errors but it
> might be mapping to a non-integer zoom level which would be bad.
>
> Any WMS image requested is cached, simply.
>
> As for speed, you should only see tiles taking time when they're being
> rendered for the first time. Why is this slow? Because of three things,
> in order of my estimate:
>
> 1) the NASA Landsat server can be very, very, very slow when the
> americans wake up and start using it. And we backend to that for sat
> imagery.
>
> 2) MapServer is a piece of junk which I've almost replaced.
>
> 3) SQL calls for loading some of the street data isn't totally optimised
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: deagging interface

Steve Coast
> What is the lifetime of the cached tiles by the way?

It was 24 hours, I upped it to 48 yesterday.

You can force regeneration with a reload in your browser (or at least
firefox does, can't confirm other browser behviour)