enabled tilecaching results into rendering problems if labels for features are enabled

enabled tilecaching results into rendering problems if labels for features are enabled

fgdrf
hello again,

I've tested udig 1.2 M9 with the enabled option for tiled rendering. I've added the UTM-Zones shapefiles taken from http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/coordsys/gislayers/zips/10k_utm.zip (shapefile mgrs6x8_east.shp).

After I enabled the labeling for features (just used the default preferences for position and font) and panning and/or zooming in the map the resulting map looks quite strange. The labels are wrong placed and sometimes doubled. Please see the attached screenshot.

And BTW : It seems to be required to restart udig after a change of the tiled rendering option in the preferences (e.g. tiled rendering is still active after disabled the option).

Could this probably be (a) bug(s) in the caching behavior? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Frank

map-tilecache-enabled.PNG (67K) Download Attachment
map-tilecache-disabled.PNG (64K) Download Attachment

Re: enabled tilecaching results into rendering problems if labels for features are enabled

fgdrf
Hello again,

I'm interested in whether anybody else has this effect with enabled tiled rendering and enabled labeling. In the meanwhile I checked udig RC1 and the behavior is the same. It seems to me that only the labels are affected.

Cheers,
Frank

2010/3/17 Frank Gasdorf <[hidden email]>
[...]

aaime
Jody Garnett ha scritto:
> I think Emily and Jesse will need to answer you. Emily did put in some
> time to sort out labeling issues for tiled rendering; currently tiled
> renderer is fatal on the mac (crashes the JVM) so I have not been
> testing it myself. I will try again now that we have switch to Eclipse
> 3.5.2...

Generally speaking, you cannot have tiling and good label rendering
at the same time.
The general trick to reduce labeling artifacts while tiling is to
"meta tile", that is, generate a 3x3 image and slice it up.
Of course the label issues will keep on appearing at the "meta tile"
borders, just makes the artifacts less frequent.

An approach to get good labels that I've used in OpenLayers is
to take the style, slice it up and make two, one for labels and
one for everything else, then render the labels un-tiled and
the rest tiled. That gives most of the tiling advantages
without sacrificing decent labeling. Of course it comes with
some performance overhead as labeled features need to be
read twice.

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: enabled tilecaching results into rendering problems if labels for features are enabled

Jody Garnett-2
I wonder if we could "cheat" .... if we saved each tile with its label cache; we could do some kind of label cache merge between on the tiles and then render the labels at the end. In cases where two label caches entries have the same featureid we could get a list; and then take the average of their centroids? (Basically putting the pieces back together that were split across several tiles).

We have not tried meta tiling at this point in time in udig.

Jody

Jody Garnett ha scritto:
> I wonder if we could "cheat" .... if we saved each tile with its
> label cache; we could do some kind of label cache merge between on
> the tiles and then render the labels at the end. In cases where two
> label caches entries have the same featureid we could get a list; and
> then take the average of their centroids? (Basically putting the
> pieces back together that were split across several tiles).

The tile cache at that point has already sliced all the polygons
and lines to get a centroid that sits within the tile (since the tile is
the whole rendering request from the renderer point of view).
It's going to get ugly.

Better use your time to slice the styles instead and generate a
label layer on top that has labels rendered un-tiled

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: enabled tilecaching results into rendering problems if labels for features are enabled

Jody Garnett-2
Based on the screen snap I though we were walking about the tiled renderer (ie uDig managing many small renderers one for each "tile" of content).
Jody

2010/3/28 Andrea Aime <[hidden email]>
Jody Garnett ha scritto:
I wonder if we could "cheat" .... if we saved each tile with its

label cache; we could do some kind of label cache merge between on
the tiles and then render the labels at the end. In cases where two
label caches entries have the same featureid we could get a list; and
then take the average of their centroids? (Basically putting the
pieces back together that were split across several tiles).

The tile cache at that point has already sliced all the polygons
and lines to get a centroid that sits within the tile (since the tile is
the whole rendering request from the renderer point of view).
It's going to get ugly.
Better use your time to slice the styles instead and generate a
label layer on top that has labels rendered un-tiled

I agree. Would you confirm that the renderer has to read the features twice? Or does the renderer in combination with the feature reader caches the features till the map extend is rendered? But the filters for labels and features could be different ... Hmm? Any suggestions? If not cached the rendering process could slow down the application, doesn't it?

Cheers
Frank

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

On 18/05/2010, at 4:54 AM, Frank Gasdorf wrote:

> I agree. Would you confirm that the renderer has to read the features twice? Or does the renderer in combination with the feature reader caches the features till the map extend is rendered? But the filters for labels and features could be different ... Hmm? Any suggestions? If not cached the rendering process could slow down the application, doesn't it?

I seem to recall it does cache the information needed to display the label; usually that is just the attribute and geometry. But I agree it is a hit. We should really check on the geotools-devel list on this one as I did not pay attention to the details.

Jody

2010/5/18 Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
I seem to recall it does cache the information needed to display the label; usually that is just the attribute and geometry. But I agree it is a hit. We should really check on the geotools-devel list on this one as I did not pay attention to the details.

I registered as geotools-devel list ([hidden email]) but it seems to me there is no acativity anymore. Or am I on an old list? I also miss the JIRA CREATED, REOPENDED and so  messages. What's wrong?

Sorry, maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I thougth many of you would registered at both, like me ...

Thanks
Frank

Re: enabled tilecaching results into rendering problems if labels for features are enabled

Jody Garnett-2
Thanks Frank.

The correct list is Geotools-Devel list <[hidden email]>; and it has been very very busy today. Did you accidentally ask for a digest subscription or something?

Jody

On 18/05/2010, at 7:03 PM, Frank Gasdorf wrote:

2010/5/18 Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
I seem to recall it does cache the information needed to display the label; usually that is just the attribute and geometry. But I agree it is a hit. We should really check on the geotools-devel list on this one as I did not pay attention to the details.

I registered as geotools-devel list ([hidden email]) but it seems to me there is no acativity anymore. Or am I on an old list? I also miss the JIRA CREATED, REOPENDED and so  messages. What's wrong?

Sorry, maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I thougth many of you would registered at both, like me ...

Thanks
Frank

Re: enabled tilecaching results into rendering problems if labels for features are enabled

fgdrf
Thanks Jody,

I re-subscribed to the mailing list and I guess I haven't chosen digest mode in the past. However, thanks!

Frank