error in uDig view

randa.alharbi
I am a student and I have an assignment to do using uDig, I am a new user, I installed uDig version 1.4.0 and when I open the program I recieve this error in the project area and layer area:
Could not create the view: Plug-in "net.refractions.udig.project.ui.editor" was unable to instantiate class "net.refractions.udig.project.ui.internal.ProjectExplorer".
Details:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:184)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:905)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:243)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:55)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPlugin$1.run(WorkbenchPlugin.java:268)
        at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPlugin.createExtension(WorkbenchPlugin.java:264)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.registry.ViewDescriptor.createView(ViewDescriptor.java:63)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewReference.java:327)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReference.java:229)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:595)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$ActivationList.setActive(WorkbenchPage.java:4317)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$18.runWithException(WorkbenchPage.java:3359)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:135)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4140)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3757)
        at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchAdvisor.openWindows(WorkbenchAdvisor.java:803)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$33.runWithException(Workbench.java:1600)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:135)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4140)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3757)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2609)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2499)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:679)
        at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:668)
        at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
        at net.refractions.udig.internal.ui.UDIGApplication.start(UDIGApplication.java:132)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1386)
        at net.refractions.udig.project.internal.impl.ProjectRegistryImpl.getProjectRegistry(ProjectRegistryImpl.java:555)
        at net.refractions.udig.project.internal.ProjectPlugin$Implementation.getProjectRegistry(ProjectPlugin.java:222)
        at net.refractions.udig.project.ui.internal.ProjectExplorer.<init>(ProjectExplorer.java:139)
        at net.refractions.udig.project.ui.internal.ProjectExplorer.<clinit>(ProjectExplorer.java:119)
        ... 51 more

I tried other versions and I still recieve the same error
Please help me solve this problem

Randa

Re: error in uDig view

Jody Garnett-2
uDig tries to load a "project" folder with your configuration each time it starts. This is located in your home directory by default. Please delete this folder, and try launching again (especially if you want to try an earlier copy of the application).

If I can also ask what platform you are working on - I have not tested uDig on the latest Windows 8.1 for example :D

Jody Garnett

<http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/file/n5781062/Capture.jpg>

I tried other versions and I still recieve the same error
Please help me solve this problem

Randa

Re: error in uDig view

randa.alharbi
I am using windows 7 service Pack 1 64-bit operating system

and I downloaded and installed the uDig 1.4.0 release > x86_64 Installer for windows

from where could I solve the problem

thank you

Randa

Re: error in uDig view

Jody Garnett-2
Nice,

I have a VM set up in that configuration. Let me try installing and see if I can reproduce your problem. With a fresh install I can display the sample data, as shown below:

The uDig project folder mentioned in the previous email is located in your home folder.

You can remove this folder (shown above) switching between versions for that "fresh install" feeling!

C:\User\Randa\uDig <-- this folder

--
Jody Garnett

Jody Garnett

Re: error in uDig view

randa.alharbi
Thank you I was stuck in that error for a couple of days, trying to uninstall and install other versions everytime I get the same error.

 Now the error is gone thanks to you :)

--
 Randa