feature panel update

Jody Garnett-2
Evening:

I promised moovida I would communicate a bit more ;-)

I have been making progress on showing feature panels in a tabbed view; I ended up porting the tabbed property view to work against a feature site - and the design is holding up to the change.  And I learned a lot.

So much so I am now debugging visible errors which is very much more rewarding then debugging invisible ones.

Myles was also able pass a code review and has committed an EditFeature implementation (something that wraps up the current edit manager feature and sends "SetAttribute" commands away each time the setAttrtibute method is called).

The svn commit access came a bit late for the Legend View / Table of Contents view to be contributed as a community plugin (sad). Hopefully that can happen another time (before it is implemented again by another group). We have also looked at creating a map from a template (basically adding a list to the new map wizard so you can choose a ready-to-go map; new templates are added via an extension point; and hopefully someone can add an adapter to populate the list from a saved project on disk?).  This answers the common question of how do I create a map with my organisations base layers; if others like the idea we could discuss it on the email list and see about folding it into udig proper as....

Jody

Re: feature panel update

Andrea Antonello
Hi Jody,

> I promised moovida I would communicate a bit more ;-)

Cool, I will try to do the same :)

> I have been making progress on showing feature panels in a tabbed view; I ended up porting the tabbed property view to work
> against a feature site - and the design is holding up to the change.  And I learned a lot.
>
> So much so I am now debugging visible errors which is very much more rewarding then debugging invisible ones.

So what is the status now? Can one try to use the extention point to
create an own implementation of teh feature edit view? Is it usable
also in dialog mode?

> Myles was also able pass a code review and has committed an EditFeature implementation (something that wraps up the
> current edit manager feature and sends "SetAttribute" commands away each time the setAttrtibute method is called).

Nice, any example available?

> The svn commit access came a bit late for the Legend View / Table of Contents view to be contributed as a community
> plugin (sad). Hopefully that can happen another time (before it is implemented again by another group).

What does that mean? If it is there why not commit it now? A decent
legend view would be really necessary. I do not know what a tabel of
content is instead.

> We have also looked at creating a map from a template (basically adding a list to the new map wizard so you can choose a
> ready-to-go map; new templates are added via an extension point; and hopefully someone can add an adapter to populate
> the list from a saved project on disk?).  This answers the common question of how do I create a map with my organisations
> base layers; if others like the idea we could discuss it on the email list and see about folding it into udig proper as....

Don't understand that. A more robust implementation of the project
concept? Being able to create a self contained project and start udig
on it?

Andrea

> Jody

Re: feature panel update

Jody Garnett-2

On 30/04/2010, at 3:06 PM, andrea antonello wrote:

> Hi Jody,
>
>> I promised moovida I would communicate a bit more ;-)
>
> Cool, I will try to do the same :)
>
>> I have been making progress on showing feature panels in a tabbed view; I ended up porting the tabbed property view to work
>> against a feature site - and the design is holding up to the change.  And I learned a lot.
>>
>> So much so I am now debugging visible errors which is very much more rewarding then debugging invisible ones.
>
> So what is the status now?

My view is shown; it is correctly showing a tabbed page; the pages are empty as I need to look into processing the feature panel extension point
now that we have that class in there for you.

> Can one try to use the extention point to create an own implementation of teh feature edit view?

Yes.

> Is it usable also in dialog mode?

Have not done dialog mode.

>> Myles was also able pass a code review and has committed an EditFeature implementation (something that wraps up the
>> current edit manager feature and sends "SetAttribute" commands away each time the setAttrtibute method is called).
>
> Nice, any example available?

He has been hacking on the country edit view implementation just to ensure it works; he has not committed since since it is not something
we want to keep.

To use simply construct it and pass in the original feature; presumably you get this feature from the edit manager; any change to the EditFeature will be sent as a command off to the EditManager.

>> The svn commit access came a bit late for the Legend View / Table of Contents view to be contributed as a community
>> plugin (sad). Hopefully that can happen another time (before it is implemented again by another group).
>
> What does that mean?

It means we asked for commit access while refractions was busy at year end; the developers working on Legend/TOC view ended up doing the work in their own svn.

> If it is there why not commit it now?

Time; we can ask them to commit - perhaps they would be willing to talk about their work on the devel list here.

> A decent legend view would be really necessary. I do not know what a tabel of content is instead.

It is the same thing; it is just the name they used. It is grouping layers by "tag" since layers already had the concept of keywords (which is close enough to tags).

>> We have also looked at creating a map from a template (basically adding a list to the new map wizard so you can choose a
>> ready-to-go map; new templates are added via an extension point; and hopefully someone can add an adapter to populate
>> the list from a saved project on disk?).  This answers the common question of how do I create a map with my organisations
>> base layers; if others like the idea we could discuss it on the email list and see about folding it into udig proper as....
>
> Don't understand that. A more robust implementation of the project concept? Being able to create a self contained project and start udig on it?

Let me try and explain better.
We often get a request on the devel list for someone who wants to create a map with some "default layers" added. Jesse usually instructs them to use a map interceptor and add the layers at that time.

That is fine if your application only has one "default".

To support multiple "defaults" we need a way to choose. Since we are only choosing when creating a new map; it makes sense to have a "New Map" wizard that presents a list - depending on what they choose from the list a different "template" will be used to create the new map.

The template (I presume) defines the layers that are added; map decorators; probably layer keywords so they show up in the correct "folders" in the table of contents view etc....

This is a common enough request I think I would like to contribute it back on my own time later next month? Perhaps I can ask the developers to share a screen snap with the devel list here.

Jody