feature request: g.setmapset

iomeneandrei
Dear JGrass developers,
I find it useful to add automatically to uDig catalog the mapset choosen using JGrass>Mapset Settings.

What do you think about?

ciao,

Andrea Borruso

email: aborruso@tin.it
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it
my 2.0 life: http://aborruso.spaziogis.it
feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Tanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: feature request: g.setmapset

Andrea Antonello
> Dear JGrass developers,
> I find it useful to add automatically to uDig catalog the mapset choosen
> using JGrass>Mapset Settings.
>
> What do you think about?

That is interesting, since I have always seen it the way round.
What I usually do is to import the mapset into the catalog by
dragging. Then I do the g.setmapset, where I have a button to get the
mapset directly from the catalog, without having to browse the
filesystem.

You instead prefer to search for the mapset with the g.setmapset tool
and add it to the catalog.

I always have the feeling that the catalog should be somehow the starting point.
What do you think?

Andrea

> ciao,

> -----
> Andrea Borruso

Re: feature request: g.setmapset

iomeneandrei
Hi Andrea,
Andrea Antonello wrote
That is interesting, since I have always seen it the way round.
What I usually do is to import the mapset into the catalog by
dragging.
there is probably something that I did not understand. Is it possible to make drag & drop without create .jgrass file?

If it's necessary you first must create this file, then make drag & drop, and the you must use JGrass menu.

If my idea had a sense, you should only use the JGrass menu. I'm talking only about working mapset.

38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: feature request: g.setmapset

Andrea Antonello
Hi Andrea,

>> That is interesting, since I have always seen it the way round.
>> What I usually do is to import the mapset into the catalog by
>> dragging.
>>
> there is probably something that I did not understand. Is it possible to
> make drag & drop without create .jgrass file?

No, not possible.

> If it's necessary you first must create this file, then make drag & drop,
> and the you must use JGrass menu.
>
> If my idea had a sense, you should only use the JGrass menu. I'm talking
> only about working mapset.

Your numbers only work if you consider to use that mapset once :)

The create *.jgrass file is a one time per mapset thing.
After that first time you always drag&drop (which implies browsing in
your file browser, but it is assumed you have that opened in your
favorite location anyway) and then in one second you add it with the
catalog button to the g.setmapset. :)

what you say about having to use the JGrass menu only once could be
ok, but I think having that logic there could be misleading.

What I am planning to do as soon as I have some time, is to add a
right button click to the mapset, through which you can "set mapset as
working". If I remember correctly it was you to suggest that?

Ciao
Andrea

> Ciao,

> -----
> Andrea Borruso

Re: feature request: g.setmapset

iomeneandrei
Hi Andrea
Andrea Antonello wrote
Your numbers only work if you consider to use that mapset once :)
I know, but my idea is simple:  if you choose a mapset, it is certain that sooner or later you will use it. For this reason I see this process as something that should be automatic.

Andrea Antonello wrote
What I am planning to do as soon as I have some time, is to add a
right button click to the mapset, through which you can "set mapset as
working". If I remember correctly it was you to suggest that?
It would be fantastic.

Thank you,