finding distances in osm editor

One Hwang
Hi all,

I am trying to add parking data to the streets of Newton, MA. Specifically, I am attempting to show that the Newton regulations say that on Adams Street, parking is prohibited on the east side from Washington Street northerly 75 feet.

I want to figure out which point along Adams Street would be 75 feet north of the intersection between Adams Street and Washington Street. How do I use iD, Potlatch, or JOSM to measure distances and identify this point?

Thanks!

Re: finding distances in osm editor

Andrew Errington
Hi there,

I use JOSM almost exclusively.  When you draw a line, or select an
existing line, there is an indicator in the status bar at the bottom
of the screen which tells you the length.  For your purpose you might
want to draw a temporary line to see where the 75 ft. point is, or you
might want to add a node and split the way at about 75 ft. and move
the new node closer to the 75 ft. point.  Perhaps splitting the way is
best, since you can add different tags for parking on each side of the
split.

My 2 cents,

Andrew