first upload and edit

Sean Burlington
Hi,
  I've just uploaded my first set of GPS data and edited some streets
using the java applet :-)

It all went quite smoothly and it seems there is already so much GPS
data in the system for central London that it was hard to pick out my
route - and the roads that I know from everything else.

Seems like a satisfying kind of problem to have as it just shows how
fast the project is moving :-)

Would it be possible to pick out "my GPX uploads" in a different colour?

That way it becomes much easier to make sense of the tracks and put
names to raods without needing to refer to an existing map.

It's also apparent that routes are being collected by people using a
great variety of transport choices.

This has great benefits - but only if it is possible to see from the map
 what kind of route is being displayed.

Would it be possible to mark GPS tracks by transport type when they are
uploaded?

- and maybe later - display only certain types ...

When editing I found a few local errors - a crossroads that didn't cross
- I couldn't seem to drag the nodes together and could only correct it
by deleting parts of it and recreating it with a new, central, node.

Not sure if I'm missing something there....

There was also a route shown to cross a canal where there is no bridge!

--

Sean

RE: first upload and edit

ANDY ROBINSON-2

Great, keep it up! Should carry a warning though, connecting little lines to
little dots can get very addictive :)

> It all went quite smoothly and it seems there is already so much GPS
> data in the system for central London that it was hard to pick out my
> route - and the roads that I know from everything else.
>
> Seems like a satisfying kind of problem to have as it just shows how
> fast the project is moving :-)
>
> Would it be possible to pick out "my GPX uploads" in a different colour?

Colouring your own tracks with a different colour would be very helpful I
agree. Something for the wish list I think.

> That way it becomes much easier to make sense of the tracks and put
> names to raods without needing to refer to an existing map.
>
> It's also apparent that routes are being collected by people using a
> great variety of transport choices.
>
> This has great benefits - but only if it is possible to see from the map
>  what kind of route is being displayed.
>
> Would it be possible to mark GPS tracks by transport type when they are
> uploaded?

This will be achievable in the future for node and line segments once Steve
has the key values system implemented. Unlikely I guess for the base
trackpoints unless it becomes a big issue as the volume of gps data
increases. There have already I understand been a few false trails from air
flights. I think a segment of the Dover to Calais run is also still visible.

> - and maybe later - display only certain types ...

Certainly displaying certain types (of node and line segment data) should be
straightforward in the future.

> When editing I found a few local errors - a crossroads that didn't cross
> - I couldn't seem to drag the nodes together and could only correct it
> by deleting parts of it and recreating it with a new, central, node.
>
> Not sure if I'm missing something there....

No you are not missing anything. If you know it's wrong go ahead and fix it
as you see it. Deleting the offending line segment and then placing a new
node is the way to go. I do it all the time when I'm improving curved
sections of highway or adding a new side junction. Sometimes you can simply
drag a node to the new location, but many times not. There is no way
currently to combine nodes. Anyway, the whole idea of OSM is that anyone can
edit it. It's a map for everyone.

> There was also a route shown to cross a canal where there is no bridge!
>

> --
>
> Sean

Andy