(forw) [steve@asklater.com: Notes from Sheffield]

Steve Coast
This didnt make it to talk@ for some reason, but more appropriate here
anyway.

----- Forwarded message from SteveC <steve at asklater.com> -----

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:28:15 +0000
To: talk at openstreetmap.org
From: SteveC <steve at asklater.com>
Subject: Notes from Sheffield

A stretch of the M1 runs directly on top of a local carriageway near
Sheffield for a couple of miles. I'm not brave enough to tag it up even
if I had a car to go get more traces of it.

Sheffield is the first urban place I've mapped where it seems that a car
would be quicker to map it as there arn't many cul-de-sacs. There are
lots of grids, and going up and down the hills is a killer.

Lots of street signs are missing here, or only at one end. Many roads
change names half way down and you have to be keen to spot the rusty
signs on buildings.

The cold here seems to make the GPS batteries run out more quickly. Also
the LCD display can take multiple seconds to change from one screen to
another, presumably because of the cold effect on the crystals.

Like liverpool, every block has a church. Only been tagging those which
arn't coverted in to lecture halls/pubs/houses/theatres (yet).

have fun,

----- End forwarded message -----

have fun,

(forw) [steve@asklater.com: Notes from Sheffield]

ANDY ROBINSON-2
On a map you might perhaps consider drawing the lower local road which runs
below the M1 over the Tinsley Viaduct as if it's alongside each carriageway
of the M1. Then it will show up and be discernable as a navigable route when
viewing the map. If the location is placed in its physical position it would
need to use an offset tag of some sort to allow it to be rendered that way,
otherwise it will be necessary to cheat and move the physical location
outside of the M1 envelope.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson