foss4g 2010 workshop submissions by Jan 30

foss4g 2010 workshop submissions by Jan 30

Jody Garnett-2
I noticed (on the live DVD list) the call for workshops going out seems to close by Jan 30. The super early bird (ie worm?) pricing ended just now at 360; early bird pricing is 400 and lasts for a bit.

I would *really* like to go; and getting a workshop would help me feel the expense was justified. Would anyone been keen on offering a uDig workshop with me? We may need to have an IRC session and look of the workshop requirements - in previous years we got a bit burnt because all the cool stuff we would like to talk about is not especially suitable for "intro material at a conference".

In anycase the train is starting up ... http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2010_Press_Release_3
"All workshop submissions will be considered, but particular interest will be shown in:
  • Practical Introduction to FOSS4G software
  • Integrating Open Source
  • Spatial Data Infrastructure"

I have been talking to many people who attended foss4g 2009 and the workshops (and tutorials) were often the highlight for those that attended.

Jody

Re: foss4g 2010 workshop submissions by Jan 30

Andrea Antonello
Hi Jody,
I was thinking about a workshop lately.

What about:
"From 0 to GIS in 3 hours: building your GIS from scratch with the
uDig development kit"

That would be simply following the application tutorial. I think that
would be of great interest.

If we coordinate, I will be glad to assist you in this.

Ciao
Andrea

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed (on the live DVD list) the call for workshops going out seems to
> close by Jan 30. The super early bird (ie worm?) pricing ended just now at
> 360; early bird pricing is 400 and lasts for a bit.
> I would *really* like to go; and getting a workshop would help me feel the
> expense was justified. Would anyone been keen on offering a uDig workshop
> with me? We may need to have an IRC session and look of the workshop
> requirements - in previous years we got a bit burnt because all the cool
> stuff we would like to talk about is not especially suitable for "intro
> material at a conference".
> In anycase the train is starting up
> ... http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2010_Press_Release_3
> "All workshop submissions will be considered, but particular interest will
> be shown in:
>
> Practical Introduction to FOSS4G software
> Integrating Open Source
> Spatial Data Infrastructure"
>
> I have been talking to many people who attended foss4g 2009 and the
> workshops (and tutorials) were often the highlight for those that attended.
>
> Jody

Re: foss4g 2010 workshop submissions by Jan 30

Riccardo Rigon
For me is a great idea, Andrea.

ric

On Jan 16, 2010, at 9:13 AM, andrea antonello wrote:

[...]

Universita` di Trento         Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile  e  Ambientale/CUDAM
Via Mesiano, 77, 38050  Trento      (ITALIA)
E-mail[hidden email]
Ph: +390461882614-10    Fax:+390461882672
Publications according to ISI: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-5395-2008
JGrass (Open Source GIS): http://www.jgrass.org/
GEOtop (Open Source distributed hydrological model):  http://www.geotop.org/

Re: foss4g 2010 workshop submissions by Jan 30

Jody Garnett-2
Yeah I can submit that - on previous years experience programming workshops are not accepted so much. That said I do not really find FOSS4G credible if there is no "open source" in the proceedings...

I am also rather grumpy to see the same tutorials situation rolled out again this year (tutorial providers completely taking on the cost of any materials).

Jody

On 16/01/2010, at 7:13 PM, andrea antonello wrote:

> Hi Jody,
> I was thinking about a workshop lately.
>
> What about:
> "From 0 to GIS in 3 hours: building your GIS from scratch with the
> uDig development kit"
>
> That would be simply following the application tutorial. I think that
> would be of great interest.
>
> If we coordinate, I will be glad to assist you in this.
>
> Ciao
> Andrea
>

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I noticed (on the live DVD list) the call for workshops going out seems to
>> close by Jan 30. The super early bird (ie worm?) pricing ended just now at
>> 360; early bird pricing is 400 and lasts for a bit.
>> I would *really* like to go; and getting a workshop would help me feel the
>> expense was justified. Would anyone been keen on offering a uDig workshop
>> with me? We may need to have an IRC session and look of the workshop
>> requirements - in previous years we got a bit burnt because all the cool
>> stuff we would like to talk about is not especially suitable for "intro
>> material at a conference".
>> In anycase the train is starting up
>> ... http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2010_Press_Release_3
>> "All workshop submissions will be considered, but particular interest will
>> be shown in:
>>
>> Practical Introduction to FOSS4G software
>> Integrating Open Source
>> Spatial Data Infrastructure"
>>
>> I have been talking to many people who attended foss4g 2009 and the
>> workshops (and tutorials) were often the highlight for those that attended.
>>
>> Jody

Re: foss4g 2010 workshop submissions by Jan 30

Jody Garnett-2
We can also do straight up advocacy guys; hold a "web session" and go through the plugin and application tutorial online - and answer any questions people have. Indeed I was going to propose something like this in order to grow the devel list this year.

Other ideas in the back of my mind:
- update walkthrough 1 for uDig 1.2 (doing that now!)
- make a video of walkthrough 1 (cause we have one on the website that is very out of date)
- do a round of "style editors" accepting input from the community with the goal of making one a week. Thinking of getting very specific like "style editor for road styles" or "everything you want to do with labels".

I actually feel we are in position to release 1.2 shortly; I am down to one bit of work (mac release plist hacking) and two unanswered questions 1) imageio-ext mac 2) imageio-ext linux64

Jody