gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Thorsten Kukuk

Hi,

today I updated and rebuild my maps with mkgmap r2164.
Adress search works without going through MapSource, but the
problem with Friedrichstr. in Berlin is even worse: Now only
one incarnation of the street is found in Berlin, even in
MapSource.

Looks like there is still a big problem if there are several streets
with the same name in a city. The data source and tiles were unchanged,
so now even if the street is in different tiles, only one version will
be found.

  Thorsten

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi

> today I updated and rebuild my maps with mkgmap r2164.
> Adress search works without going through MapSource, but the
> problem with Friedrichstr. in Berlin is even worse: Now only
> one incarnation of the street is found in Berlin, even in
> MapSource.

In mapsource too? I am going to need to see an example. In my map I see
the same number of Friedrichstrasse streets in either version. The
mapsource index changed very little between the versions.

As far as I know the only differences are in:

  - cities and how they are allocated to regions.
  - streets with highway shields may now be marked as having the same
name if they differ only in the shield.

..Steve

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Marko Mäkelä
On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 11:08:24PM +0000, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
>In mapsource too? I am going to need to see an example. In my map I see
>the same number of Friedrichstrasse streets in either version. The
>mapsource index changed very little between the versions.

I am not sure if this is related. I do not seem to find any streets that
I tried, in the map tile of the current location. For example, if I
search for Kisatie, I get several occurrences in Finland, but not the
nearest one (3km away). I would also say that the one in Rääkkylä was
not found, although it is in a different tile.

The situation has definitely changed by the --index option. Before the
option, I would only seem to find streets in the current tile or
otherwise rather close.

        Marko

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Martin-2

I done some tests. You can find the results here:
http://snailrun.de/all_tests.zip

First I downloaded a tile which contain only the Friedrichstraße in Berlin:
http://overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/xapi?way[name=Friedrichstraße][bbox=13.227,52.163,13.580,53.042][@meta]
Then I build mkgmap from trunk and build a map using the
--gmapsupp-option (only_fs.zip). When I search for the Friedrichstraße,
I didn't fine any Friedrichstraße.
So I added a further street (Rheinhardtstraße) to the osm-file. And now
I can find every Friedrichstraße on the tile (with_other_only_fs.zip).
So I downloaded a further tile:
overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/xapi?way[name=Friedrichstraße][bbox=6.506,48.991,7.628,49.743][@meta]
When I now build the map with the first tile (w/o Reinhardtstraße) I
also couldn't find the Friedrichstraße, but the other Friedrichstraße in
the other cities. (two_only_fs.zip)
If I use the tile with Rheinhardtstraße I can find the Friedrichstraße
also in Berlin. (with_other_with_other.zip)

For all tests I used my Oregon, I don't have Mapsource or Basecamp here
(I'm using Ubuntu).
For the streetsearch I entered the City. If I leave it out, I can find
the Friedrichstraße every time in Berlin.
Also if I find the Friedrichstraße now, if I build more tiles it's not
possible to find the Friedrichstraße (I forgot to mention that the
Friedrichstraße is just an example, there are more streets, which
couldn't be found).

On 09/01/12 11:19, Martin wrote:
> I done some tests. You can find the results here:
> http://snailrun.de/all_tests.zip

OK thanks very much. I will investigate.

..Steve

On Mon, Jan 09, Martin wrote:

> For all tests I used my Oregon, I don't have Mapsource or Basecamp here
> (I'm using Ubuntu).
> For the streetsearch I entered the City. If I leave it out, I can find
> the Friedrichstraße every time in Berlin.
> Also if I find the Friedrichstraße now, if I build more tiles it's not
> possible to find the Friedrichstraße (I forgot to mention that the
> Friedrichstraße is just an example, there are more streets, which
> couldn't be found).

>From my tests today I got some surprising results:

MapSource is able to find all Friedrichstr. in Berlin. Putting the
mkgmap created map on my 62s: I can only find one Friedrichstr. in
Berlin.
Exporting the map from MapSource (where I can find all streets)
to my 62s: I still can only find one Friedrichstr. in Berlin.
If I search for Friedrichstr. without City, I cannot find any
Friedrichstr. in Berlin.

It's very surprising to me that MapSource can find Streets while
the 62s cannot find them on the MapSource exported map.

On 09/01/12 11:19, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I done some tests. You can find the results here:
> http://snailrun.de/all_tests.zip

Thanks again for the excellent test cases. There is so much data in a
normal tile is is very useful to trim it down like this.

As a result I quickly saw a problem in the 'only_fs' files.
I'm not sure if it is the same problem you were seeing earlier though --
as I think it will only happen if a city has just the one street, which
is why it is found again in 'with_other_only_fs'.

But in any case a patch that fixes this is attached and pre-built
mkgmap.jar can be found at:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/47/mkgmap.jar

With this patch I could find all 4 Friedrichstrasse streets in Berlin on
my Legend.

..Steve

friedrichstrasse.patch (964 bytes) Download Attachment

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 09:09:25AM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
>I am not sure if this is related. I do not seem to find any streets
>that I tried, in the map tile of the current location. For example, if
>I search for Kisatie, I get several occurrences in Finland, but not the
>nearest one (3km away).

I tried again with Steve's friedrichstrasse.patch. This time, I tried
both "Finland" and "Suomi". There was exactly one street in Vantaa,
Finland and all the rest seem to be in Vantaa, Suomi. Shouldn't these
two names be mapped together, like resources/LocatorConfig.xml says?

I extracted all place=* nodes from my map extract, but did not see
anything obviously wrong. Apparently, the country information of
location-autofill=nearest must be coming from is_in:country and
addr:country.

        Marko

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Martin-2
Hello Steve,

thanks for the fast patch. I will give it a try. Another bug(?): When I build a map with --gmapsupp and --index I couldn't search for addresses. When I add --route I can search for addresses.

Am 2012-01-09 19:33, schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:
On 09/01/12 11:19, Martin wrote:
Hi,

I done some tests. You can find the results here:
http://snailrun.de/all_tests.zip

Thanks again for the excellent test cases. There is so much data in a normal tile is is very useful to trim it down like this.

As a result I quickly saw a problem in the 'only_fs' files.
I'm not sure if it is the same problem you were seeing earlier though -- as I think it will only happen if a city has just the one street, which is why it is found again in 'with_other_only_fs'.

But in any case a patch that fixes this is attached and pre-built mkgmap.jar can be found at: http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/47/mkgmap.jar

With this patch I could find all 4 Friedrichstrasse streets in Berlin on my Legend.

..Steve

Suomi/Finland --index problem

Marko Mäkelä
On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 10:13:33PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
>I tried again with Steve's friedrichstrasse.patch. This time, I tried
>both "Finland" and "Suomi". There was exactly one street in Vantaa,
>Finland and all the rest seem to be in Vantaa, Suomi. Shouldn't these
>two names be mapped together, like resources/LocatorConfig.xml says?

It seems that places in southern Finland belong to Suomi and places in
the north belong to Finland. The place=country node (id 432424981),
which is located in the south of the country, carries name=Suomi among
other tags. Could location-autofill=nearest be picking this name? Or
would it be taking the Suomi from some is_in strings? Or would it fail
to convert some is_in=Finland keys or the --country-name option to
Suomi?

Here is how I am compiling the map:

java -Xmx1024m -jar mkgmap.jar --max-jobs --product-id=1 --code-page=1252 \
        --adjust-turn-headings --remove-short-arcs \
        --country-abbr=FIN --country-name=Finland \
        --location-autofill=nearest \
        --description='xxx1'
        --mapname=63240001 --input-file=63240001.osm.pbf \
        --description='xxx2' \
        --mapname=63240002 --input-file=63240002.osm.pbf \
        --mapname=63240011 --input-file=63240011.osm.pbf

java -Xmx1024m -jar mkgmap.jar --index --gmapsupp --code-page=1252 \
--product-id=1 --family-id=1 --family-name=OsmIdx 632400*img

Best regards,

        Marko

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Martin Simon
2012/1/10 Martin <[hidden email]>:
> Hello Steve,

I'd like to throw in another question regarding the totally cool new
search index feature:

I build a map for my vista hcx that contains several layers with
different product-id: 2 different background layers (landuse/terrain
visualization), 1 main layer (routable ways, pois and minor polygons)
and layers for maxspeed, hiking routes, lighting etc.

Now I started using the index on the main layer and it works great -
as long as I don't try to combine all layers to a single gmapsupp.img,
which I always do by calling mkgmap with all sublayer gmapsupps as
input files:

java -jar mkgmap/mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --nsis
--description="OSM-Topo-DE" --overview-mapname=topo-gesamt
deutschland/gelaende/gmapsupp.img deutschland/landuse/gmapsupp.img
deutschland/topo/gmapsupp.img deutschland/maxspeed/gmapsupp.img
deutschland/isohypsen/gmapsupp.img deutschland/isohypsen2/gmapsupp.img
deutschland/wanderwege/gmapsupp.img deutschland/lit/gmapsupp.img

When doing so now, the resulting gmapsupp.img is lacking the complete
main layer, but no error message is given.

When I add --index to the command line, I get the following error
message immediadely:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.Mdr29.preWriteImpl(Mdr29.java:62)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MdrSection.preWrite(MdrSection.java:138)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MDRFile.writeSection(MDRFile.java:379)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MDRFile.writeSections(MDRFile.java:353)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MDRFile.write(MDRFile.java:247)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.MdrBuilder.onFinishForDevice(MdrBuilder.java:382)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.GmapsuppBuilder.onFinish(GmapsuppBuilder.java:116)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.endOptions(Main.java:417)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.CommandArgsReader.readArgs(CommandArgsReader.java:126)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.main(Main.java:112)

Has anyone else tried to combine a layer containing an index with other yet?

I also observed (sorry if this is already known) that many streets
with highway shields generated from ref=* tags only appear as the
ref=* value in the street search, even though both ref _and_ name are
displayed by the device. Other parts of the same street appear only
with name=*.
(Example: ref=B 56, name=Euskirchener Straße in Bonn, Germany)
(using the latest patched version)

Thanks for answering (and all the great development work, of course)!

-Martin

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

ligfietser
My observation is maybe related to Martins post, I can find only streetnames if those lines are routable (which make sense).
If a road is not routable in my cyclemap (highways that are forbidden for bicycles) I give them a non routable line and as a consquence those roads are not findable in the search index.

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

railrun
Bad&good news.

Good news: If I build a map which just contain different Friedrichstraßen in the same city I can find now all.
But when building a map with surrounding tiles I still find one Friedrichstraße. And I confirm, that it depends on the splitted area. When I tried it in the office with a other max-node-size I found the Friedrichstraße for 3 times in Berlin...
Any ideas?

Am 09.01.2012 um 19:33 schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:

> On 09/01/12 11:19, Martin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I done some tests. You can find the results here:
>> http://snailrun.de/all_tests.zip
>
> Thanks again for the excellent test cases. There is so much data in a normal tile is is very useful to trim it down like this.
>
> As a result I quickly saw a problem in the 'only_fs' files.
> I'm not sure if it is the same problem you were seeing earlier though -- as I think it will only happen if a city has just the one street, which is why it is found again in 'with_other_only_fs'.
>
> But in any case a patch that fixes this is attached and pre-built mkgmap.jar can be found at: http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/47/mkgmap.jar
>
> With this patch I could find all 4 Friedrichstrasse streets in Berlin on my Legend.
>
> ..Steve
> <friedrichstrasse.patch>_______________________________________________
> mkgmap-dev mailing list

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi

> I tried again with Steve's friedrichstrasse.patch. This time, I tried
> both "Finland" and "Suomi". There was exactly one street in Vantaa,
> Finland and all the rest seem to be in Vantaa, Suomi. Shouldn't these

Ah, that is a very good observation.  It may be much more common than
you would expect that there is just one street in a city because of this
kind of data problem.

..Steve

On 10/01/12 10:16, Martin wrote:
> ...           Another bug(?): When I build a map with --gmapsupp and --index I
> couldn't search for addresses. When I add --route I can search for
> addresses.

The --index option uses whatever information is in the .img tiles.

If the tiles are created without --route then there is no road
information in there to be used. POI information will still be there.

..Steve

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Steve Ratcliffe

Hi

> Now I started using the index on the main layer and it works great -
> as long as I don't try to combine all layers to a single gmapsupp.img,
> which I always do by calling mkgmap with all sublayer gmapsupps as
> input files:
>
> java -jar mkgmap/mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --nsis
> --description="OSM-Topo-DE" --overview-mapname=topo-gesamt
> deutschland/gelaende/gmapsupp.img deutschland/landuse/gmapsupp.img
> deutschland/topo/gmapsupp.img deutschland/maxspeed/gmapsupp.img
> deutschland/isohypsen/gmapsupp.img deutschland/isohypsen2/gmapsupp.img
> deutschland/wanderwege/gmapsupp.img deutschland/lit/gmapsupp.img
>
> When doing so now, the resulting gmapsupp.img is lacking the complete
> main layer, but no error message is given.

Is that something that worked in earlier versions? There is nothing
that I can think of that might have altered that.

> When I add --index to the command line, I get the following error
> message immediadely:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
>          at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:324)
>          at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.Mdr29.preWriteImpl(Mdr29.java:62)

OK, it is a bug that an error is thrown like that, but in any case the
indexing code will not work if given gmapsupp files rather than
individual tiles. It would be possible to make it work, but it is not
a simple change.

..Steve

On 10/01/12 19:26, Martin wrote:
> But when building a map with surrounding tiles I still find one
> Friedrichstraße. And I confirm, that it depends on the splitted
> area. When I tried it in the office with a other max-node-size I

Is this problem seen on any of the files that you previously provided?
If not could you provide a set of files that doesn't work, including
.osm files.

Thanks.
Steve

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

railrun
No, in the previous given files I've tested if it depend on just the name of the street (Thats why I downloaded only the way with the name Friedrichstraße) . Now I used complete tiles which surround the Berlin-tile.
Here are the tiles where I can still find on Friedrichstraße:

63240348: 2430976,546816 to 2471936,616448
#       : 52.163086,11.733398 to 53.041992,13.227539

63240364: 2471936,546816 to 2504704,681984
#       : 53.041992,11.733398 to 53.745117,14.633789

63240376: 2385920,624640 to 2430976,702464
#       : 51.196289,13.403320 to 52.163086,15.073242

63240380: 2430976,632832 to 2471936,702464
#       : 52.163086,13.579102 to 53.041992,15.073242

63240412: 2430976,616448 to 2471936,632832
#       : 52.163086,13.227539 to 53.041992,13.579102 Berlin-Tile

63240416: 2381824,571392 to 2430976,624640
#       : 51.108398,12.260742 to 52.163086,13.403320

After this I made a new map, with tile with a maximum 500000 nodes. So Berlin is now divided in more parts and I can find the Friedrichstraße for 3 times.

63240364: 2435072,579584 to 2471936,612352
#       : 52.250977,12.436523 to 53.041992,13.139648

63240396: 2435072,612352 to 2443264,628736
#       : 52.250977,13.139648 to 52.426758,13.491211

63240460: 2435072,628736 to 2443264,686080
#       : 52.250977,13.491211 to 52.426758,14.721680

63240492: 2447360,612352 to 2451456,628736
#       : 52.514648,13.139648 to 52.602539,13.491211

63240556: 2451456,612352 to 2471936,628736
#       : 52.602539,13.139648 to 53.041992,13.491211

63240588: 2443264,628736 to 2471936,641024
#       : 52.426758,13.491211 to 53.041992,13.754883

63240604: 2443264,612352 to 2447360,628736
#       : 52.426758,13.139648 to 52.514648,13.491211

You can download the splitted tiles here:
http://snailrun.de/Found_one.zip
http://snailrun.de/Find_three.zip

Maybe somebody can go deeper into detail, but I have to go to bed now...

2012/1/10 Steve Ratcliffe <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
>> Now I started using the index on the main layer and it works great -
>> as long as I don't try to combine all layers to a single gmapsupp.img,
>> which I always do by calling mkgmap with all sublayer gmapsupps as
>> input files:
>>
>> java -jar mkgmap/mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --nsis
>> --description="OSM-Topo-DE" --overview-mapname=topo-gesamt
>> deutschland/gelaende/gmapsupp.img deutschland/landuse/gmapsupp.img
>> deutschland/topo/gmapsupp.img deutschland/maxspeed/gmapsupp.img
>> deutschland/isohypsen/gmapsupp.img deutschland/isohypsen2/gmapsupp.img
>> deutschland/wanderwege/gmapsupp.img deutschland/lit/gmapsupp.img
>>
>> When doing so now, the resulting gmapsupp.img is lacking the complete
>> main layer, but no error message is given.
>
> Is that something that worked in earlier versions? There is nothing
> that I can think of that might have altered that.

Yes, this worked, but without the --index option - I only began using
it recently, when the index branch was merged back to trunk. (it still
works without --index in recent versions)

>> When I add --index to the command line, I get the following error
>> message immediadely:
>>
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
>>          at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:324)
>>          at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.Mdr29.preWriteImpl(Mdr29.java:62)
>
> OK, it is a bug that an error is thrown like that, but in any case the
> indexing code will not work if given gmapsupp files rather than
> individual tiles. It would be possible to make it work, but it is not
> a simple change.

OK, I now also tried to modify the command line, feeding mkgmap
individual tiles, plus the overview-map.img of each layer, too.
Now all layers are present in the gmapsupp.img, but I lost all layer
names, .TYP files and the search index.

Or should I include the *.mdx file? I think I'll try that tomorrow.

Re: gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

Steve Ratcliffe
> OK, I now also tried to modify the command line, feeding mkgmap
> individual tiles, plus the overview-map.img of each layer, too.
> Now all layers are present in the gmapsupp.img, but I lost all layer
> names, .TYP files and the search index.

You should include just the individual tiles and the typ files, but not the
overview files or the mdx,mdr files.

The --index option will create the index.

..Steve