google summer of code

Davide-41
Hi to all,

I'm Davide Savazzi, I'm an Italian developer and student.
I've been accepted in the Google Summer of Code program, thanks to
Craig's proposal on 'adding support for Neo4j graph database in
Geotools and uDig'.

Few months ago I've started working in my spare time on the Neo4j
Spatial project (http://github.com/neo4j/neo4j-spatial), I've created
a service for storing layers of geometries, indexed by an rtree, and a
shapefile importer.

The simplified roadmap for this project is:
- adding a network / routing service (needed for GSOC)
- adding a topology storage service (not needed right now)

In the Community Bonding Period I've read all the uDig training
materials, tried the examples and I've read also some other
documentation on Eclipse and SWT.
I've also completed a prototype of a read-only DataStore (tested with
GeoTools JMapFrame).

I've just downloaded uDig 1.2-RC3 SDK and this week I'll try to insert
this DataStore in uDig, maybe using the new Generic DataStore support.
Then the next steps could be:
- optimize this DataStore, adding Query support
- add Write operations support

I'll write a report on my activity every Monday.

Best regards,
--
Davide Savazzi

Re: google summer of code

Jody Garnett-2
Welcome Davide:

I had intended to answer your questions as you went through training material; but yeah perhaps the generic datastore wizard will work enough to get you going in the short term :)

We have had reports on some trouble with the 1.2-RC3 SDK; check the email list for the workaround posted a couple of days ago.
(you need to fiddle with the udig.product after importing it into your workspace)

Jody

On 27/05/2010, at 9:22 AM, Davide wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I'm Davide Savazzi, I'm an Italian developer and student.
> I've been accepted in the Google Summer of Code program, thanks to
> Craig's proposal on 'adding support for Neo4j graph database in
> Geotools and uDig'.
>
> Few months ago I've started working in my spare time on the Neo4j
> Spatial project (http://github.com/neo4j/neo4j-spatial), I've created
> a service for storing layers of geometries, indexed by an rtree, and a
> shapefile importer.
>
> The simplified roadmap for this project is:
> - adding a network / routing service (needed for GSOC)
> - adding a topology storage service (not needed right now)
>
> In the Community Bonding Period I've read all the uDig training
> materials, tried the examples and I've read also some other
> documentation on Eclipse and SWT.
> I've also completed a prototype of a read-only DataStore (tested with
> GeoTools JMapFrame).
>
> I've just downloaded uDig 1.2-RC3 SDK and this week I'll try to insert
> this DataStore in uDig, maybe using the new Generic DataStore support.
> Then the next steps could be:
> - optimize this DataStore, adding Query support
> - add Write operations support
>
> I'll write a report on my activity every Monday.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Davide Savazzi

Re: google summer of code

Craig Taverner-2
Great start Davide,

One place to start adding information about your project is the udig Wiki. A possible starting point is the original gsoc page I put up in March: http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/Neo4j+Spatial+Support

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 02:38, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have had reports on some trouble with the 1.2-RC3 SDK; check the email list for the workaround posted a couple of days
> ago.
> (you need to fiddle with the udig.product after importing it into your workspace)

In the Eclipse I've used for the training examples I've created a new
target platform with the RC3 and I fixed it with the workaround.
If I run it the About dialog still say 'Version: 1.2-RC2'. But I can
see the option for generic GeoTools data stores in the Import dialog,
so I guess it's the RC3... right?

Davide Savazzi

Re: google summer of code

Andrea Antonello
Hi Davide,
nice start really. Welcome to the uDig community!

> In the Eclipse I've used for the training examples I've created a new
> target platform with the RC3 and I fixed it with the workaround.
> If I run it the About dialog still say 'Version: 1.2-RC2'. But I can
> see the option for generic GeoTools data stores in the Import dialog,
> so I guess it's the RC3... right?

Definitely should be.
You're good to go it seems. Let us know how you progress.

Ciao
Andrea