highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Felix Hartmann-2
Just cannot find the topic on the merge-roads-branch.

Is it known that the highway count error is not fully fixed yet? I still
get loads of them.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

WanMil
Ok, but I need some food (style, data etc.) to reproduce it...

> Just cannot find the topic on the merge-roads-branch.
>
> Is it known that the highway count error is not fully fixed yet? I still
> get loads of them.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
Hi WanMil,

reg. the highway count:
I guess you already noticed, but just to make sure:
In trunk the absolute value of the counter does not really matter
as long as it is > 1 for each point that should be converted to a
node. I think a lot of routines are calling
incHighwayCount() "just to make sure", so a node where two
arcs meet might have a counter > 2.
You have introduced decHighwayCount(), so now
each place where this counter is incremented has
to be double checked.

Gerd

WanMil wrote
Ok, but I need some food (style, data etc.) to reproduce it...

> Just cannot find the topic on the merge-roads-branch.
>
> Is it known that the highway count error is not fully fixed yet? I still
> get loads of them.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

WanMil
Hi Gerd,

decHighwayCount() is called only on the node where two roads are merged.
So assuming that the highway count gives the number of connected roads
calling this method in such a case should be ok.

WanMil

> Hi WanMil,
>
> reg. the highway count:
> I guess you already noticed, but just to make sure:
> In trunk the absolute value of the counter does not really matter
> as long as it is > 1 for each point that should be converted to a
> node. I think a lot of routines are calling
> incHighwayCount() "just to make sure", so a node where two
> arcs meet might have a counter > 2.
> You have introduced decHighwayCount(), so now
> each place where this counter is incremented has
> to be double checked.
>
> Gerd
>

> WanMil wrote
>> Ok, but I need some food (style, data etc.) to reproduce it...
>>
>>> Just cannot find the topic on the merge-roads-branch.
>>>
>>> Is it known that the highway count error is not fully fixed yet? I still
>>> get loads of them.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
Hi WanMil,

yes, it will not cause problems. On the other hand, if you do it to
reduce the number of CoordNodes, we should try to have a correct
counter. I think the short-arc-removal is not always correctly
maintaining it. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Gerd

WanMil wrote
Hi Gerd,

decHighwayCount() is called only on the node where two roads are merged.
So assuming that the highway count gives the number of connected roads
calling this method in such a case should be ok.

WanMil

> Hi WanMil,
>
> reg. the highway count:
> I guess you already noticed, but just to make sure:
> In trunk the absolute value of the counter does not really matter
> as long as it is > 1 for each point that should be converted to a
> node. I think a lot of routines are calling
> incHighwayCount() "just to make sure", so a node where two
> arcs meet might have a counter > 2.
> You have introduced decHighwayCount(), so now
> each place where this counter is incremented has
> to be double checked.
>
> Gerd
>

> WanMil wrote
>> Ok, but I need some food (style, data etc.) to reproduce it...
>>
>>> Just cannot find the topic on the merge-roads-branch.
>>>
>>> Is it known that the highway count error is not fully fixed yet? I still
>>> get loads of them.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

WanMil
Yes, it is meant to reduce the number of CoordNodes because that should
reduce the size of the routing network and might have a positive impact.

The assertion reported by Felix seems to be a problem of the highway
count. The assertion checks if the first node of a MapRoad is a
CoordNode. I think this is required, isn't is?
While writing I am thinking of no exit roads. What about these roads? I
think the first and the last point should also be a CoordNode?!?

WanMil

> Hi WanMil,
>
> yes, it will not cause problems. On the other hand, if you do it to
> reduce the number of CoordNodes, we should try to have a correct
> counter. I think the short-arc-removal is not always correctly
> maintaining it. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
>
> Gerd
>

> WanMil wrote
>> Hi Gerd,
>>
>> decHighwayCount() is called only on the node where two roads are merged.
>> So assuming that the highway count gives the number of connected roads
>> calling this method in such a case should be ok.
>>
>> WanMil
>>
>>> Hi WanMil,
>>>
>>> reg. the highway count:
>>> I guess you already noticed, but just to make sure:
>>> In trunk the absolute value of the counter does not really matter
>>> as long as it is > 1 for each point that should be converted to a
>>> node. I think a lot of routines are calling
>>> incHighwayCount() "just to make sure", so a node where two
>>> arcs meet might have a counter > 2.
>>> You have introduced decHighwayCount(), so now
>>> each place where this counter is incremented has
>>> to be double checked.
>>>
>>> Gerd
>>>

>>> WanMil wrote

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
Hi WanMil,

yes, first and last node should be coordNode, so the assert is ok. Unfortunately, the data flow in StyledConverter is
so complex that it is difficult to say why the assertion is triggered. I guess one of the split routines is still
missing a call of incHighwayCount().

Gerd

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:42:28 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch
>
> Yes, it is meant to reduce the number of CoordNodes because that should
> reduce the size of the routing network and might have a positive impact.
>
> The assertion reported by Felix seems to be a problem of the highway
> count. The assertion checks if the first node of a MapRoad is a
> CoordNode. I think this is required, isn't is?
> While writing I am thinking of no exit roads. What about these roads? I
> think the first and the last point should also be a CoordNode?!?
>
> WanMil
>
> > Hi WanMil,
> >
> > yes, it will not cause problems. On the other hand, if you do it to
> > reduce the number of CoordNodes, we should try to have a correct
> > counter. I think the short-arc-removal is not always correctly
> > maintaining it. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
> >
> > Gerd
> >

> > WanMil wrote
> >> Hi Gerd,
> >>
> >> decHighwayCount() is called only on the node where two roads are merged.
> >> So assuming that the highway count gives the number of connected roads
> >> calling this method in such a case should be ok.
> >>
> >> WanMil

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

WanMil
Yeah, I guess it should be possible to simplify them be
reimplementation. But that's only a rough guess....

A test case would be great to find the missing incHighwayCount()!

> [...]
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > --
> http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/highway-count-not-fixed-yet-merge-roads-branch-tp5778802p5779102.html
>  > > Sent from the Mkgmap Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>  > > _______________________________________________
>  > > mkgmap-dev mailing list
>  > > [hidden email]
>  > > http://lists.mkgmap.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/mkgmap-dev
>  > >
>  >
>  > mkgmap-dev mailing list
>  > [hidden email]
>  > http://lists.mkgmap.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/mkgmap-dev

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

at least we should know if options like frig-roundabout are used. Afaik the default style will never touch these
routines. I guess Felix uses almost all.

Gerd

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:53:20 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch
>
> Yeah, I guess it should be possible to simplify them be
> reimplementation. But that's only a rough guess....
>
> A test case would be great to find the missing incHighwayCount()!
>
> > Hi WanMil,
> >
> > yes, first and last node should be coordNode, so the assert is ok.
> > Unfortunately, the data flow in StyledConverter is
> > so complex that it is difficult to say why the assertion is triggered. I
> > guess one of the split routines is still
> > missing a call of incHighwayCount().
> >
> > Gerd
> >

> > > Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:42:28 +0200
> > > From: [hidden email]
> > > To: [hidden email]
> > > Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] highway count not fixed yet... -
> > merge-roads-branch
> > >
> > > Yes, it is meant to reduce the number of CoordNodes because that should
> > > reduce the size of the routing network and might have a positive impact.
> > >
> > > The assertion reported by Felix seems to be a problem of the highway
> > > count. The assertion checks if the first node of a MapRoad is a
> > > CoordNode. I think this is required, isn't is?
> > > While writing I am thinking of no exit roads. What about these roads? I
> > > think the first and the last point should also be a CoordNode?!?
> > >
> > > WanMil

> > merged.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Steve Ratcliffe
On 26/09/13 20:49, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> yes, first and last node should be coordNode

Is that really true?  What if the road only joins others at the middle?

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
Steve Ratcliffe wrote
On 26/09/13 20:49, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> yes, first and last node should be coordNode

Is that really true?  What if the road only joins others at the middle?
well, I don't know if it is really needed, but least the program
increments highway count for the first and last
node before calling addRoadAfterSplittingLoops(). This routine
may split the way again before it is converted to a MapRoad
instance.

Gerd

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Felix Hartmann-2
no, I don't use any roundabout command like options, but adjust turn headings?? -- see below for all commandline options. From style I don't call much except loads of continues and continue with action, as well as some link to pois stuff like reduce road_class/road_speed.

On the old version the only very occasional problem note I get is the following - in this case for Bayern (Germany Bundesland) Geofabrik extract:
start compilation 21:45:44 Velomap bayern this is run58
SEVERE (MapBuilder): c:\openmtbmap\maps\65260023.osm.pbf: possible routing problem: road end-points not both coordNodes: (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/156936823)
SEVERE (MapBuilder): c:\openmtbmap\maps\65260023.osm.pbf: possible routing problem: road end-points not both coordNodes: (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/156936823)

I'm using theese commandline options:
start /low /b /wait java -jar -Xms6000M -Xmx10300M c:\openmtbmap\mkgmap.jar %max-jobs% %generate-sea% %precomp-seaxx% %style-file% --nsis %indx% %levels% --adjust-turn-headings --add-pois-to-areas --reduce-point-density=3.4 --reduce-point-density-polygon=6 --housenumbers --remove-short-arcs --link-pois-to-ways --ignore-turn-restrictions --polygon-size-limits="24:16, 23:14, 22:12, 21:11, 20:10, 19:9, 18:8, 17:7, 16:6, 15:5, 14:4, 13:3, 12:2, 11:0, 10:0" --description=openmtbmap_%abr% --show-profiles=1  %locationxx% --route --country-abbr=%abr% --country-name=%country% --mapname=%FID%0000 --family-id=%FID% --product-id=1 --series-name=openmtbmap_%country%_%date% --family-name=mtbmap_%abr%_%date% --tdbfile --overview-mapname=mapsetc --keep-going --area-name="%country%_%date%_openmtbmap.org" -c c:\openmtbmap\maps\template.%countryx% 7*.img >NUL

with these variables in general:
set generate-sea=--generate-sea --latin1
set precomp-seaxx=--precomp-sea=c:\openmtbmap\maps\sea.zip
set levels=--levels="0:24, 1:23, 2:22, 3:21, 4:20, 5:19, 6:18" --overview-levels="7:17, 8:16, 9:15, 10:14, 11:13, 12:12

and for most countries:
set indx=--index (not using index for Asia continent as asia continent with index was crashing in Basecamp/Mapsource very often, only few compiles actually worked)
set max-jobs=--max-jobs=8 (for some countries 7 as I ran out of memory on them and server started to swap=slower)
On 26.09.2013 21:57, Gerd Petermann wrote:
Hi WanMil,

at least we should know if options like frig-roundabout are used. Afaik the default style will never touch these
routines. I guess Felix uses almost all.

Gerd

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:53:20 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch
>
> Yeah, I guess it should be possible to simplify them be
> reimplementation. But that's only a rough guess....
>
> A test case would be great to find the missing incHighwayCount()!
>
> > Hi WanMil,
> >
> > yes, first and last node should be coordNode, so the assert is ok.
> > Unfortunately, the data flow in StyledConverter is
> > so complex that it is difficult to say why the assertion is triggered. I
> > guess one of the split routines is still
> > missing a call of incHighwayCount().
> >
> > Gerd
> >

> > > Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:42:28 +0200
> > > From: [hidden email]
> > > To: [hidden email]
> > > Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] highway count not fixed yet... -
> > merge-roads-branch
> > >
> > > Yes, it is meant to reduce the number of CoordNodes because that should
> > > reduce the size of the routing network and might have a positive impact.
> > >
> > > The assertion reported by Felix seems to be a problem of the highway
> > > count. The assertion checks if the first node of a MapRoad is a
> > > CoordNode. I think this is required, isn't is?
> > > While writing I am thinking of no exit roads. What about these roads? I
> > > think the first and the last point should also be a CoordNode?!?
> > >
> > > WanMil

> > merged.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
Hi,

ok, the problems with way 156936823 are probably also the cause for the assertion. I was not yet able to reproduce the problem.
Please check:
1) You use --remove-short-arcs without a value. This is evaluated as --remove-short-arcs=0.0
@Steve: I think this is not intended and should be changed so that the default value 5.0 is used in this case as well?

2) I found no short arc < 5.0 m in the area around this way, and the way is not very special
(besides that it has a tag "fixme=tracktype").
Please post the rules that are used for this way.

3) Is it possible that the way is near a tile boundary?

Gerd

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:51:58 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

On 27/09/13 08:04, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> @Steve: I think this is not intended and should be changed so that the
> default value 5.0 is used in this case as well?

Yes, it should have the default value when no argument is given.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
OK, I've fixed that in trunk.

> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 08:07:50 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch
>
> On 27/09/13 08:04, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> > @Steve: I think this is not intended and should be changed so that the
> > default value 5.0 is used in this case as well?
>
> Yes, it should have the default value when no argument is given.

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
Hi WanMil,

it is difficult to maintain the correct value when nodes are merged.
in short-arc-removal. On the other hand, we can simply
count the real value again after that.
Attached is a patch that implements that. I did not see
much difference in the img size, and I doubt that
it solves Felix problem.

reset-highway-count-v1.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
Hi Felix, WanMil,

attached is a patch that might solve the problem.  I was still not able to reproduce it, so
it's just a guess: In a special case, we create a new Coord instance to replace a CoordPOI
instance. This new instance has highway count = 0. A very special case
might be that this point is later used to split the way, in that case it would
have highwaycount=1 for a first or last point of a road.
The patch increments the count when the coord is created.

Gerd

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:51:58 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

reset-highway-count-v2.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

WanMil
Hi Gerd,

in my opinion recalculating the highway counter after removing the short
arcs should fix all problems, shouldn't it?

I've added three changes to the patch:
1. When calculating the highway count ways with duplicate id are not
considered. This avoid that all points of a duplicated way are preserved
by all filters.
I think this should be modified a bit. For the first and last point of
those ways the highway count should be increased and also all points
where another way is connected. I have no use case where this matters
but I think it is the "correct" counting?

2. I have added the problematic point in the error message of the
MapBuilder in case a node is not a CoordNode. Just having the way id
might not be enough information and the way also might have been merged.

3. I have moved the recalculation of the highway counters after the
merge procedure. This should not change anything but it avoids a problem
with merging...

WanMil

reset-highway-count-v3.patch (5K) Download Attachment

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

Gerd Petermann
WanMil wrote
Hi Gerd,

in my opinion recalculating the highway counter after removing the short
arcs should fix all problems, shouldn't it?
Don't think so. All routines that replace or add points after that must
make sure that they maintain the correct highway count.
<quote author="WanMil">

WanMil wrote
I've added three changes to the patch:
1. When calculating the highway count ways with duplicate id are not
considered. This avoid that all points of a duplicated way are preserved
by all filters.
I think this should be modified a bit. For the first and last point of
those ways the highway count should be increased and also all points
where another way is connected. I have no use case where this matters
but I think it is the "correct" counting?
No, it just increases the possibility that the counter overflows.
Maybe we should not use this counter at all. The information that
it "hides" is that a point connects two or more roads.
I think a better solution would be to have a method markRoutingNodes()
which uses the counter and sets a bit flag in the coord instance.
This routine would replace setHighwayCounts() and resetHighwayCounts().

WanMil wrote
2. I have added the problematic point in the error message of the
MapBuilder in case a node is not a CoordNode. Just having the way id
might not be enough information and the way also might have been merged.

3. I have moved the recalculation of the highway counters after the
merge procedure. This should not change anything but it avoids a problem
with merging...
This is a good idea. Maybe do it before and after? That also means that
decHighwayCount() is obsolete, doesn't it?

Gerd

Re: highway count not fixed yet... - merge-roads-branch

WanMil
> WanMil wrote
>> Hi Gerd,
>>
>> in my opinion recalculating the highway counter after removing the short
>> arcs should fix all problems, shouldn't it?
>
> Don't think so. All routines that replace or add points after that must
> make sure that they maintain the correct highway count.

Ok, which routines perform such modifications? I couldn't find any such
modifications of MapRoad instances after the StyledConverter.

> WanMil wrote
>> I've added three changes to the patch:
>> 1. When calculating the highway count ways with duplicate id are not
>> considered. This avoid that all points of a duplicated way are preserved
>> by all filters.
>> I think this should be modified a bit. For the first and last point of
>> those ways the highway count should be increased and also all points
>> where another way is connected. I have no use case where this matters
>> but I think it is the "correct" counting?
>
> No, it just increases the possibility that the counter overflows.

Maybe that's true for the trunk but in the branch there are real cases
where it matters.

Assume the following two ways:

x>>>>>>>>>x===========x
1         2           1

(x = Node; >> oneway line; === oneway=no; highway count below nodes)

The style might duplicate the oneway=no way into to oneway=yes ways

x>>>>>>>>>x<<<<<<<<<<<x
1         2           1

The merger might merge two of the ways:

            <<<<<<<<<<<
x>>>>>>>>>x>>>>>>>>>>>x
1         1           1

As a result the highway count of the 2nd and 3rd node is wrong. It
should be 2 instead of 1. And AFAIK this difference matters.

> Maybe we should not use this counter at all. The information that
> it "hides" is that a point connects two or more roads.
> I think a better solution would be to have a method markRoutingNodes()
> which uses the counter and sets a bit flag in the coord instance.
> This routine would replace setHighwayCounts() and resetHighwayCounts().

I don't understand the advantage? I think maintaining the highway count
is the same like markRoutingNodes(). How do you want to know when to
call markRoutingNodes()?

> WanMil wrote
>> 2. I have added the problematic point in the error message of the
>> MapBuilder in case a node is not a CoordNode. Just having the way id
>> might not be enough information and the way also might have been merged.
>>
>> 3. I have moved the recalculation of the highway counters after the
>> merge procedure. This should not change anything but it avoids a problem
>> with merging...
>
> This is a good idea. Maybe do it before and after? That also means that
> decHighwayCount() is obsolete, doesn't it?

decHighwayCount() is obsolete as long as the highway counters are
recalculated after mergeRoads(). When recalculating the highway count
after mergeRoads() the RoadMerger does not care about (correct) highway
counts (maybe a perf improvement might require correct highway counts
but I don't know if the improvement is neccessary).