highway=path only for pedestrians?

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

for a way that has only the tag
highway=path
the default style (lines) rule
highway=path {set highway=footway}
fires. I think that's wrong, the wiki says
"A route open to the public which is not intended for motor vehicles, unless so tagged separately."

so we should also allow bikes.
The confusing thing is that the
access include has this line:
highway=path                            { add foot=yes; add bicycle=yes; add access=no }
but because the other rule fires first, this is ignored and
highway=footway                         { add foot=yes; add access=no }
is used.

AFAIU the rule
highway=path {set highway=footway}
should be removed.

Gerd

Re: highway=path only for pedestrians?

Marko Mäkelä
Hi Gerd,

>AFAIU the rule
>highway=path {set highway=footway}
>should be removed.

Yes, that sounds correct.

One reason for the current situation could be that you might not want to
route bicycles to a narrow forest path, especially in the autumn when it
is muddy, or in the winter when there is lots of snow. It really depends
on the type of the bicycle and on the weather and road conditions.

Anyway, I guess that mkgmap should not try to be too clever about what
is reasonable. It should only care what is allowed. It is up to the user
to decide whether to follow a routing advice.

        Marko

Re: highway=path only for pedestrians?

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,
I heard no other comments, so I will change the default style as described below
tomorrow.

Gerd