historic=memorial tagging question.

John Willis
How would I map this object?

It is a stone tablet memorializing when a small levee failed and washed away part of a hamlet. This is in the park built on top of the levee repair.

these kinds of stone tablets - always a freestanding carved or etched stone (not a plaque attached to a rock), and usually between 50cm and 2m in height, are the most common form of memorial object in Japan (very tall, thin, cut stone tablets anchored in the ground, covered with carved letters - not a memorial=stone). this example is a more modern version, with very little text. older ones are covered with text. though it looks like a headstone or a grave, this is not a common shape for a grave marker in Japan - but for memorial tablets.

interestingly, the sub-tag of historic=memorial, memorial=*,  has a lot of suggested values in iD, including memorial - so memorial=memorial is a commonly tagged value (295 uses)!

to me, this is a tablet (20 uses), but if this object is better defined by another value, I would be happy to use it.

Javbw

Re: historic=memorial tagging question.

John Willis
Thanks!

One of the wiki examples (a rubbing from a tablet from Takasaki) is from my area, and exactly what I was thinking of.

The example image I saw on OSM was of a pole or something, but the Wikipedia was much more broad.

There like a hundred or more of those in my town alone, so now I can map them.

Javbw