how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Sachin Dole
I just made an edit here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/26094493

I dont know if I tagged it correctly!

I intend to update this feature as time goes by, so wanted to find out how to do it correctly at the outset. please help here or point me to a doc I can read about how to pick correct tags.

Thank you!

--
President  |  Genvega Inc.  |  www.genvega.com  |  tel: 630.290.2561

Re: how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Dave Mansfield

Hello,

I’m also new to OSM so no expert. The only thing I see is that full spelling is preferred by OSM. For example West Linda Lane instead of W Linda Ln. I think it has something to do with speech in some GPS units.

The best place I’ve found for tagging info is http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features

I hope this helps.

Dave

Re: how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

sabas88

I just made an edit here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/26094493

I dont know if I tagged it correctly!

I intend to update this feature as time goes by, so wanted to find out how to do it correctly at the outset. please help here or point me to a doc I can read about how to pick correct tags.

Hi,
Perhaps you meant to  trace a residential area, but you instead traced a residential building on all the area (from the satellite seems an agricultural field).
You need to use landuse=residential as this one https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/92258465

Thank you!

Regards,
Stefano

--
President  |  Genvega Inc.  |  www.genvega.com  |  tel: <a href="tel:630.290.2561" value="+16302902561" target="_blank">630.290.2561

Re: how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Clifford Snow
One other issue, the cemetery tag that is inside of your residential area. It doesn't look like it is in the correct place. You might want to move it to the correct location, otherwise you'll end up with a cemetery inside of a residential area.

You asked about where to get info on picking the correct tags. Besides Map Features on the wiki (left side of main page) another great way is to look at how others have tagged similar features. In Map Layers select Map Data. click on the feature, to get all of the tags.

And welcome to OSM.

Clifford

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Sachin Dole <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just made an edit here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/26094493

I dont know if I tagged it correctly!

I intend to update this feature as time goes by, so wanted to find out how to do it correctly at the outset. please help here or point me to a doc I can read about how to pick correct tags.

Thank you!

--
President  |  Genvega Inc.  |  www.genvega.com  |  tel: <a href="tel:630.290.2561" value="+16302902561" target="_blank">630.290.2561

@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Richard Weait
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Sachin Dole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> by the way, its a new construction by a builder, so satellite imagery has
> not caught up yet. i know it is a sub division because i purchased a home
> there.

Welcome to OpenStreetMap!

You are getting involved, from the start, with what I consider the
very best type of mapping.  You are putting your neighbourhood on the
map.  :-)

It's good that you know that aerial imagery is letting you down.  Some
mappers rely on it too heavily and fail to understand that imagery can
mislead your mapping, even if relatively current.  On the other hand,
aerial imagery, when relatively current, can be a helpful addition to
your in-person survey.

I'm not on the ground at your new home (that would be a creepy
coincidence) so you really are the local expert.  Being new doesn't
mean that some remote mapper can do a better job than you can.  On the
other hand, you can certainly learn from our experience where our
situations are similar enough.

I've mapped a few new neighbourhoods during and after construction.
Here are some really general broad strokes of what I do.

Don't get in the way of the construction.  I don't trespass.  Now if
it isn't clear that a site is closed, I might lean towards mapping.
As an owner you may have additional rights that I don't as a local
neighbour.

No aerial imagery, so I use a GPS to create a track file of my mapping
when I can.  If not, I'll sketch a map by hand until I can get more
information.

Add the road center lines once they are clear.  Usually, if the curbs
have been poured, that will be the layout of the finished roads.

Add road names once the signs or temporary signs are posted.  I've
frustrated at how late these signs show up.  I don't bother mapping
lot numbers, etc.  Not my thing.  Add building addresses once they go
up.

Add parks, trails, playgrounds, public benches, post boxes, drinking
fountains, etc as the neighbourhood amenities get filled in.

And once you are finished, you aren't really "finished".  At that
point, or honestly, probably even now, you'll be bitten by the
OpenStreetMap Bug.  You'll just want to keep mapping.  You'll update
your neighbourhood when a new restaurant opens or closes, when coffee
shops come and go, when a gourmet burger bar moves in.

And that's the very best thing you can do for OpenStreetMap.  You can
make and keep the places that you see every day, or week or month, up
to date and accurate and complete.

:-)

Hey, also take a look to see if there are local OpenStreetMap related
events you can attend, like Mappy Hour or #maptime.  Meeting with
other local mappers is a great way to keep your collective work
coordinated in a friendly way.  And it's fun.

Best Regards and Happy Mapping,
Richard

Re: how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Sachin Dole

Thank you Richard and Clifford. Yes, I will try to get the boundary correct wrt the cemetery using my android device GPS. You recommend the android app vespucci for this or is there another better app?

My intro: I am working on a startup that leans heavily on OSM, so I am familiar with the data, nominatim, XAPI etc. I never did much mapping and hence not very good with how the data relate to the intent for the consumer. Total newbie to that part.

I would love to host a mapping party in my area. In fact, I subscribed to the party list just this morning.

Thanks again.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Sachin Dole <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you Richard and Clifford. Yes, I will try to get the boundary correct wrt the cemetery using my android device GPS. You recommend the android app vespucci for this or is there another better app?

I recommend GoMap!! which is only available for iOS. I haven't used vespucci, although it seems to have plenty of features. GoMap!! is easy to use on mapping parties. My wife lets me borrow her iPad when needed. I use OSMTracker for Android as well. Very handy when out hiking. Not great for mapping businesses.

My intro: I am working on a startup that leans heavily on OSM, so I am familiar with the data, nominatim, XAPI etc. I never did much mapping and hence not very good with how the data relate to the intent for the consumer. Total newbie to that part.

I find it useful for developers to have a good understanding of how people tag. So actually getting involved with adding data to OSM may help you better understand our tagging methods.

I would love to host a mapping party in my area. In fact, I subscribed to the party list just this morning.

I'm surprised to find that Chicago doesn't have a Meetup Group. Perhaps you could start one. You might join talk-us and invite people to start a mapping group in your area.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: [OSM-dev] how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Sachin Dole
Mark,

I saw your changeset https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/26100789. That edit seems to be on the adjoining, older subdivision - maybe you made that to show me how to do this. Thank you for paying your attention. :-)

Best,
Sachin Dole

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Mark Newnham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome to openstreetmap, and thanks for the contribution. I've added a couple of edits in the area you are working on to help guide you. wiki.openstreetmap.org is the best resource for guidance

Regards

Mark

Re: how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Sachin Dole
Clifford,

I have organized a www.meetup.com group on another topic previously and can happily handle the operation of an osm meetup group here. Let me think about this for a couple days and form the group. I will let this email list know.

I will take a look at Osmtracker. Thanks for the tip.

Best,
Sachin Dole

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Sachin Dole <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have organized a www.meetup.com group on another topic previously and can happily handle the operation of an osm meetup group here. Let me think about this for a couple days and form the group. I will let this email list know.

I will take a look at Osmtracker. Thanks for the tip.

I have three meetups, OSM Seattle and Vancouver, and a Maptime Seattle. I am a co-organizer on Seattle. I'm listed as a co-organizer on MaptimeSEA, but I suspect Sam Mathews will do most of the work. It is brand new with the first meeting in early November. The Vancouver one is to get something going up in BC. It is a fun place to visit and only an hour north of where I live.

If you get your OSM group up on Meetup, you can apply to Telenav to fund your entire membership cost if that is an issue. Martijn Exel is the US OSM Chapter president and is a Telenav employee. Plus, Steve Coast, OSM founder, is also an employee.

Let me know if you need any help. BTW - I moved to Seattle from Chicago. I live just north of downtown, near Wriggle Field.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: how to map new subdivision in suburban united states?

Sachin Dole
Funding is not an issue. Its just that I am only starting to be an individual contributor and don't know too many others who may be really interested. So, I am unsure at the moment how I can drive this and to what result - thats the part I would like to put some imagination into over a couple days. Of course, if there are other folks in Chicagoland who are willing to work together, then, it will become easier.

Great to know that you went from cold to wet! :-) just kidding :-) I have never been to Seattle, but I have friends who live there, whom I hope to visit someday soon.

Best,
Sachin Dole

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Sachin Dole <[hidden email]> wrote:
Funding is not an issue. Its just that I am only starting to be an individual contributor and don't know too many others who may be really interested. So, I am unsure at the moment how I can drive this and to what result - thats the part I would like to put some imagination into over a couple days. Of course, if there are other folks in Chicagoland who are willing to work together, then, it will become easier.

Running a meetup group, as you probably know, is a lot of work. I work with Chase (Seattlefyi) who really helps out. We are trying to build a core group. Seem strange considering we have well over 200 people in our meetup group. But most people never utter a sound and never attend a meetup. I am also active in CUGOS.org in Seattle. It is an open source gis group that is very active. Over 350 people on the mailing list with 30-50+ people attending monthly meetings. I get a lot of volunteers and support from cugos. I also work with a Code for America group in Seattle.  Plus we just started our MaptimeSEA group. Open source GIS, whether it's software or data, is really getting big. It is a great time to be having fun with GIS.

Great to know that you went from cold to wet! :-) just kidding :-) I have never been to Seattle, but I have friends who live there, whom I hope to visit someday soon.
It's WET. Man is it wet. We go from dry summers to wet fall, winter and spring. But it's a great place. I hope you can get out here someday. Look me up. We did make a bid to host the 2015 SOTM-US conference here. It may be your chance to visit us and talk about how you are using OSM.

Take care,
Clifford