[http://zikes.website/] New OSM based (bicycle) journey planner

Remek Zajac

Dear All.,

The kind people in the OSM forum advised that i re-post this here. I hope it's not seen as a spam.

I am a keen (long distance) cyclist and frustrated by the lack of planning tools, bit by bit, I landed with my own that I would like to share with the community: http://zikes.website/ - should it of course capture the community's imagination. It's a working beta with a couple of loose ends, but I use it and my friends use it and friends of said friends use it and time has come that I seek wider exposure. It's free I might add.

The rationale (use case) is presented here https://sites.google.com/site/zikesroute/.

Of course I am interested in any form of feedback, collaboration, testers willing to take it for their first spin... and ultimately perhaps in landing the service on this list.

with regards

Remster

Re: [http://zikes.website/] New OSM based (bicycle) journey planner

André Riedel
Nice Website and Tutorial.

> Dear All.,
>
> The kind people in the OSM forum advised that i re-post this here. I hope
> it's not seen as a spam.
>
> I am a keen (long distance) cyclist and frustrated by the lack of planning
> tools, bit by bit, I landed with my own that I would like to share with the
> community: http://zikes.website/ - should it of course capture the
> community's imagination. It's a working beta with a couple of loose ends,
> but I use it and my friends use it and friends of said friends use it and
> time has come that I seek wider exposure. It's free I might add.
>
> The rationale (use case) is presented here
> https://sites.google.com/site/zikesroute/.
>
> Of course I am interested in any form of feedback, collaboration, testers
> willing to take it for their first spin... and ultimately perhaps in landing
> the service on this list.
>
> with regards
>
> Remster

Re: [http://zikes.website/] New OSM based (bicycle) journey planner

Milo van der Linden-5
Hello Remek, on your website you mention sub-projects:

  • Bespoke routing (path finding) server with pluggable cost function, which allows for expressing those à la carte parameters (preferences for the kinds of roads, their climb and/or rural/urban character, etc.).
  • Python-based script suite transforming the Open Street Map data into the form digestible by the routing server;

What are you using for this any existing routing toolchain or did you roll your own? And if you created your own, is it open source?

Nice Website and Tutorial.

> Dear All.,
>
> The kind people in the OSM forum advised that i re-post this here. I hope
> it's not seen as a spam.
>
> I am a keen (long distance) cyclist and frustrated by the lack of planning
> tools, bit by bit, I landed with my own that I would like to share with the
> community: http://zikes.website/ - should it of course capture the
> community's imagination. It's a working beta with a couple of loose ends,
> but I use it and my friends use it and friends of said friends use it and
> time has come that I seek wider exposure. It's free I might add.
>
> The rationale (use case) is presented here
> https://sites.google.com/site/zikesroute/.
>
> Of course I am interested in any form of feedback, collaboration, testers
> willing to take it for their first spin... and ultimately perhaps in landing
> the service on this list.
>
> with regards
>
> Remster

http://www.dogodigi.net
Milo van der Linden
web: dogodigi
tel: +31-6-16598808

Re: [http://zikes.website/] New OSM based (bicycle) journey planner

Remek Zajac
I've just updated the meta page with links to the code.
I've been labelling it with the GNU license w/o giving it much thought actually. It is open source, as in, I am happy if people look at it or fork it to other places.
I may not be able to assist its adoption elsewhere - unless it's on my roadmap.

the C++ routing engine is the "grand jewel" - as in, it has a rich set of tests and i have been writing it with a lot of care.
the rest, admittedly, has a lot of prototype traces in it.

doing things from first principles has been means for me learn how OSM in particular and routing in general work.
i don't wanna be told that 'hey, there is flawless routing server laying there for you to adopt" - too late for that now :) mine's working pretty well.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Milo van der Linden <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Remek, on your website you mention sub-projects:

  • Bespoke routing (path finding) server with pluggable cost function, which allows for expressing those à la carte parameters (preferences for the kinds of roads, their climb and/or rural/urban character, etc.).
  • Python-based script suite transforming the Open Street Map data into the form digestible by the routing server;

What are you using for this any existing routing toolchain or did you roll your own? And if you created your own, is it open source?

Nice Website and Tutorial.

> Dear All.,
>
> The kind people in the OSM forum advised that i re-post this here. I hope
> it's not seen as a spam.
>
> I am a keen (long distance) cyclist and frustrated by the lack of planning
> tools, bit by bit, I landed with my own that I would like to share with the
> community: http://zikes.website/ - should it of course capture the
> community's imagination. It's a working beta with a couple of loose ends,
> but I use it and my friends use it and friends of said friends use it and
> time has come that I seek wider exposure. It's free I might add.
>
> The rationale (use case) is presented here
> https://sites.google.com/site/zikesroute/.
>
> Of course I am interested in any form of feedback, collaboration, testers
> willing to take it for their first spin... and ultimately perhaps in landing
> the service on this list.
>
> with regards
>
> Remster

http://www.dogodigi.net
Milo van der Linden
web: dogodigi
tel: <a href="tel:%2B31-6-16598808" value="+31616598808" target="_blank">+31-6-16598808

Re: [http://zikes.website/] New OSM based (bicycle) journey planner

Milo van der Linden-5

OK thank you for the information. It is not that I want to tell anybody to use anything in particular, it is just that I think synergy will create better products. But then, the principle of open source is that it needs to scratch an itch. And if your engine does that for you, who am I to judge ;-)