iD Editor - unclear translations ( QA ) - 2018Oct

iD Editor - unclear translations ( QA ) - 2018Oct

Imre Samu
Hi,
I have created an experimental QA report about the same/unclear translations.
and now about ~450 unclear translations pair detected.
 ( same translations AND different osm keys! )

if you know any language - please check!    ( discuss in your local osm list! )

Current status ( you can edit the "C" column  - if you fixed )

comment:

presetKey =  tags0+tags1+tags2 + ... tags4

Example:

hr Fakultetsko zemljište College Grounds amenity/college
hr Fakultetsko zemljište University Grounds amenity/university
hr Groblje Cemetery landuse/cemetery
hr Groblje Graveyard amenity/grave_yard
hr Knjižara Book Store shop/books
hr Knjižara Stationery Store shop/stationery
hr Krojač Tailor shop/tailor
hr Krojač Dressmaker craft/dressmaker
hr Odmorište Rest Area highway/rest_area
hr Odmorište Service Area highway/services
hr Travnjak Grassland natural/grassland
hr Travnjak Grass landuse/grass
hr Uspornik Speed Bump traffic_calming/bump
hr Uspornik Speed Hump traffic_calming/hump
hr Vinarija Wine Shop shop/wine
hr Vinarija Winery craft/winery
hr Zgrada fakulteta College Building building/college
hr Zgrada fakulteta University Building building/university

or

it Campo da bocce Bowling Green leisure/pitch/bowls
it Campo da bocce Boules/Bocce Court leisure/pitch/boules
it Campo da gioco Sport Pitch leisure/pitch
it Campo da gioco Recreation Ground landuse/recreation_ground
it Capanno Shed building/shed
it Capanno Hut building/hut
it Cimitero Graveyard amenity/grave_yard
it Cimitero Cemetery landuse/cemetery
it Dormitorio Dormitory building/dormitory
it Dormitorio Homeless Shelter amenity/social_facility/homeless_shelter
it Foresta Wood natural/wood
it Foresta Forest landuse/forest
it Fotografo Photographer craft/photographer
it Fotografo Photography Store shop/photo
it Garage Garage building/garage
it Garage Garages building/garages
it Girello Play Roundabout playground/roundabout
it Girello Basket Spinner playground/basket_spinner
it Lavanderia Dry Cleaner shop/dry_cleaning
it Lavanderia Laundry shop/laundry
it Negozio Shop shop
it Negozio Retail Building building/retail
it Negozio di elettronica Electronics Store shop/electronics
it Negozio di elettronica Radio/Electronic Component Store shop/radiotechnics
it Sartoria Dressmaker craft/dressmaker
it Sartoria Tailor shop/tailor
it Scivolo Slide playground/slide
it Scivolo Water Slide attraction/water_slide
it Serra Greenhouse Horticulture landuse/greenhouse_horticulture
it Serra Greenhouse building/greenhouse
it Stadio Stadium leisure/stadium
it Stadio Stadium Building building/stadium
it Teleferica Goods Aerialway aerialway/goods
it Teleferica Zip Wire playground/zipwire
it Tombino Manhole manhole
it Tombino Storm Drain manhole/drain
it Vivaio Garden Center shop/garden_centre
it Vivaio Plant Nursery landuse/plant_nursery

Best,
 Imre

Re: iD Editor - unclear translations ( QA ) - 2018Oct

Imre Samu
extra:

Languages - sorted by FREQ of unclear translations :  ( descending )
*     61 tr
*     59 he
*     50 uk
*     40 da
*     38 it
*     36 ro
*     30 is
*     29 pl
*     27 lt
*     26 ast
*     25 ca
*     24 zh-TW
*     21 no
*     21 fi
*     20 vi
*     20 sl
*     20 ko
*     20 gl
*     20 el
*     19 lv
*     18 hr
*     18 fa
*     18 ar
*     16 sv
*     16 mk
*     16 et
*     14 sr
*     14 sk
*     14 ru
*     12 zh-HK
*     12 zh
*     12 pt-BR
*     12 pt
*     12 es
*     11 zh-CN
*     10 nl
*     10 id
*     10 de
*     10 af
*      8 ta
*      6 hu
*      6 eo
*      4 so
*      4 ja
*      4 dv
*      4 cs
*      4 bs
*      2 te
*      2 ms
*      2 ckb
*      2 bn
*      2 bg

Imre

Imre Samu <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 5., P, 23:00):
[...]

José G Moya Y.
I think these unclear translations come from the fact different languages make a different split in the world. As an example, in Spanish we have many different words (bar, mesón, restaurante, cantina, café, cafetería, chiringuito,  pub/bar de copas, cervecería, bodeguilla, whiskería, taberna,  txoko, peña) for what english splits into bar/restaurant/pub/café. Bars are for Spanish language what snow is for inuit language...

Obviously the Spanish team is not interested in creating new categories as "amenity:meson: a dirty bar that also serves as cheap restaurant where you can drop olive kernels and prawn carcasses straight into the ground." or "amenity:chiringuito: a kiosk in the seashore where cheap food and drink is served at incredibly expensive prices."
.
But some users are interested in making these differences.

Regards,

José.

El vie., 5 oct. 2018 a las 23:52, Imre Samu (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> [...]

it Teleferica Goods Aerialway aerialway/goods
it Teleferica Zip Wire playground/zipwire
it Tombino Manhole manhole
it Tombino Storm Drain manhole/drain
it Vivaio Garden Center shop/garden_centre
it Vivaio Plant Nursery landuse/plant_nursery

Best,
 Imre

Re: iD Editor - unclear translations ( QA ) - 2018Oct

Imre Samu
> think these unclear translations come from the fact different languages make a different split in the world.
>  As an example, in Spanish we have many different words (bar, mesón, restaurante, cantina, café, cafetería, chiringuito,  pub/bar de copas, cervecería, bodeguilla, whiskería, taberna,  txoko, peña)
> for what english splits into bar/restaurant/pub/café.
>Bars are for Spanish language what snow is for inuit language...

agree,  there are lots of cultural problems,   translating is not easy.

my aim to create a better translation for every language.   Because clear translation -> better data quality

for example  - "words with multiple meanings"
imho: there should be a better translation for showing the differences  between the  amenity=bank vs amenity=bench

es ( Spanish ) - imho:  the editors can see the differences
es "Banco"                     -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
es "Banco / Asiento"    -   Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

but in this cases, I am not sure, that everybody sees the differences:
           ca ( Catalan, Valencian )
ca "Banc"    -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
ca "Banc"    -  Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

gl ( Galician )
gl "Banco"  -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
gl "Banco"  - Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

eu ( Basque ) - added yesterday - not in the sheet
eu  "Banku"   -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
eu  "Banku"  -   Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

imho:
- The problem, that the translators don't have a tool to detect these problems.
- (in Hungary)  The hardcore OSM mappers don't use iD editor  - They prefer JOSM, so very hard to detect translation problems.

best,
 Imre

Imre Samu <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 6., Szo, 12:39):
> [...]

it Negozio di elettronica Electronics Store shop/electronics
it Negozio di elettronica Radio/Electronic Component Store shop/radiotechnics
it Sartoria Dressmaker craft/dressmaker
it Sartoria Tailor shop/tailor
it Scivolo Slide playground/slide
it Scivolo Water Slide attraction/water_slide
it Serra Greenhouse Horticulture landuse/greenhouse_horticulture
it Serra Greenhouse building/greenhouse
it Stadio Stadium leisure/stadium
it Stadio Stadium Building building/stadium
it Teleferica Goods Aerialway aerialway/goods
it Teleferica Zip Wire playground/zipwire
it Tombino Manhole manhole
it Tombino Storm Drain manhole/drain
it Vivaio Garden Center shop/garden_centre
it Vivaio Plant Nursery landuse/plant_nursery

Best,
 Imre

Re: iD Editor - unclear translations ( QA ) - 2018Oct

Wolfgang Zenker
Hi,

* Imre Samu <[hidden email]> [181006 12:43]:
> the google  sheet is not perfect
> better link for view:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DNNuPjjnp6oOXLS2Wtrn__NdCtFN7wy7Lvdm7K1bES0/edit?usp=sharing

thanks for sharing this. This does highlight not only translation
problems IMHO. While there are some cases like amenity=bank vs.
amenity=bench that could be solved by a more specific word for one or
both in translations (e.g. German "Sitzbank" for bench) there are other
cases that point to tags that are too specialized (e.g. shop=fashion vs.
shop=boutique vs. shop=clothing), differentiate based on a specific
cultural context that does not exist everywhere (e.g. landuse=churchyard
vs. amenity=grave_yard vs. landuse=cemetery), or are simply not well
designed (e.g. natural=wood vs. landuser=forest).
The identical translation for X in a context of amenity=X vs. building=X
would be not a problem IMHO, as the building tag would be a secondary
tag usually.

Wolfgang
( lyx @ osm )