iD news - 2.12.0 released 🎉

Bryan Housel-2
Last week, after several months of work, we released iD v2.12.0 for editing OpenStreetMap.
I hope you like it!  Here are some of the highlights from the release:

✌️  2-finger pan and zoom gestures
Mac users can now use 2 finger trackpad gestures to pan and zoom the map.
Try swiping with 2 fingers to pan, or pinching out/in to zoom and unzoom. You'll be less likely to accidentally drag nodes!

🔻  Directional way markers
iD now draws triangular markers on the "down" side of ways where the direction matters. Thanks, Huon Wilson for this feature!
Ways with a direction include cliffs, coastlines, retaining walls, kerbs, guard rails, embankments.

↔️  Resizable sidebar
You can now resize the sidebar, or hide it completely. Shout out to Quincy Morgan for his work on this!
Try dragging the sidebar to resize it, or click the hide button in the top toolbar. The top bar buttons can also shrink on narrower screens.

🍔  Brand Name Suggestions
We've released a huge upgrade to the brand name suggestions in iD. Thank you to everyone who volunteered to match brand names to their proper OpenStreetMap tags.  Follow the brand name suggestion project here:  https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index
Try adding some branded businesses to the map - `brand`, `brand:wikidata`, and other tags will be set for you.

📎  More Wikidata integration
iD now displays linked data if a feature has a wikidata tag, and will protect fields like name and brand from direct editing.
Make sure prominent features have a Wikidata tag, for added protection against accidental changes.

🔆  More features for working with relations
Hovering over a relation or member in the sidebar will highlight it on the map. You can also download incomplete sections, and zoom to inspect relation children. Thanks, Quincy Morgan!
Check out the "All Relations" and "All Members" sections of the sidebar to try out the new relation editing tools.

👩‍💻  Hacktoberfest happened!
We merged 40 pull requests during the month of October. Thank you to all of our new contributors!

As always, the update includes many other usability improvements and new presets - check out the changelog for all the details.
(It’s pretty epic, thanks to the dozens of people who worked on this release!)

Changelog:
v2.12.0 changelog:  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#2120

Twitter:
v2.12.0 announcement:  https://twitter.com/bhousel/status/1070068684297768960

Follow and star the iD project on GitHub to show your support:  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD
And follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/bhousel for the latest iD news.

Thank you!
❤️ Bryan, and the rest of the 🆔 team.

P.S.
We are getting together in NYC to hack on iD during the week of Dec 17-21 at the Facebook office.  Space is limited, so please private message me if you want to attend!  We also have started a bi-weekly sync for the core development team.  If you want to work on iD, we’d love your help!

Re: iD news - 2.12.0 released 🎉

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 12:14, Bryan Housel <[hidden email]> wrote:

🍔  Brand Name Suggestions
We've released a huge upgrade to the brand name suggestions in iD. Thank you to everyone who volunteered to match brand names to their proper OpenStreetMap tags.  Follow the brand name suggestion project here:  https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index
Try adding some branded businesses to the map - `brand`, `brand:wikidata`, and other tags will be set for you.

Have used this a couple of times now & very handy!

Is there a procedure for suggesting more brand names to include?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: iD news - 2.12.0 released 🎉

Bryan Housel-2
Glad you like it!   The brand name list is tracked in this repository:

So just open an issue or pull request there if you know of anything to be added!
Thanks, Bryan

On Dec 27, 2018, at 6:07 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 12:14, Bryan Housel <[hidden email]> wrote:

🍔  Brand Name Suggestions
We've released a huge upgrade to the brand name suggestions in iD. Thank you to everyone who volunteered to match brand names to their proper OpenStreetMap tags.  Follow the brand name suggestion project here:  https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index
Try adding some branded businesses to the map - `brand`, `brand:wikidata`, and other tags will be set for you.

Have used this a couple of times now & very handy!

Is there a procedure for suggesting more brand names to include?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: iD news - 2.12.0 released 🎉

Graeme Fitzpatrick

Thanks Bryan

Separate request for each brand, or one for multiples?

& what do you need - just name & what they do / type of store & speciality?

Thanks

Graeme

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 at 09:16, Bryan Housel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Glad you like it!   The brand name list is tracked in this repository:

So just open an issue or pull request there if you know of anything to be added!
Thanks, Bryan

Re: iD news - 2.12.0 released 🎉

Bryan Housel-2
> On Dec 27, 2018, at 7:51 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Bryan
> Separate request for each brand, or one for multiples?

either is fine!

> & what do you need - just name & what they do / type of store & speciality?

Mainly just the name and whatever tags should go with it (`shop=whatever`).

Thanks, Bryan