iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Spod
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Richard Fairhurst
Spod wrote:
> http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/

http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html (thanks Dair!) will show you the tiles they're using.

Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...

cheers
Richard

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

andrzej zaborowski
On 8 March 2012 01:06, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Spod wrote:
>> http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/
>
> http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html (thanks Dair!) will show you the tiles
> they're using.
>
> Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...

Great :) -- Madrid is rendered with a name worthy of a map prank,
although it would fit loc_name too.  (The edits history for the
relevant node doesn't show it ever being in OSM though)

Cheers

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Richard Fairhurst
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst
Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...

...and the consensus is that the data is from some time late March/early April 2010. Yes, really.

cheers
Richard

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Mike N.
On 3/7/2012 7:50 PM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> ...and the consensus is that the data is from some time late March/early
> April 2010. Yes, really.

   With an update rate of at least 2 years, I don't expect they'll see a
problem with temporary license data deletion.

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Iván Sánchez Ortega
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst
On Jueves, 8 de Marzo de 2012 01:06:02 Richard Fairhurst escribió:
> Spod wrote:
> > http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/
>
> http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html (thanks Dair!) will show you the tiles
> they're using.

I've got a transparent comparison here:

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es/leaflet-apple.php

Looks like they're using a old (pre-2011) planet dump for the data.

--
----------------------------------
Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
Proudly running Debian Linux with 3.2.0-1-amd64 kernel, KDE , and PHP 5.3.9-1
generating this signature.
Uptime: 02:01:41 up  4:31,  5 users,  load average: 0,25, 0,20, 0,16

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Iván Sánchez Ortega
In reply to this post by andrzej zaborowski
On Jueves, 8 de Marzo de 2012 01:41:22 andrzej zaborowski escribió:
> Great :) -- Madrid is rendered with a name worthy of a map prank,
> although it would fit loc_name too.

I'm guessing that's an old toponym, now deleted from OSM. But we Madrileños
refer to our city as that sometimes :-)


--
----------------------------------
Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
MSN:[hidden email]
Jabber:[hidden email] ; [hidden email]
IRC: ivansanchez @ OFTC & freenode

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Richard Fairhurst
In reply to this post by Iván Sánchez Ortega
Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> Looks like they're using a old (pre-2011) planet dump for the data.

Yep, we've now pinned it down to 1st-7th April 2010.

cheers
Richard


_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Toby Murray-2
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>>
>> Looks like they're using a old (pre-2011) planet dump for the data.
>
>
> Yep, we've now pinned it down to 1st-7th April 2010.

Here in the US I'm pretty sure they are using NHD data for water
features. It definitely isn't OSM. Any similarity to OSM in that case
probably means that patch of NHD was imported into OSM as well. The
roads around here are almost certainly TIGER. I see some of the
same... "special" ... features that I have long since fixed in OSM.
Hard to say if it's TIGER->OSM->Apple or straight TIGER->Apple though
since I didn't make my first edit until April 11th, 2010. I don't
remember a gaping hole in this intersection though:
http://ivan.sanchezortega.es/leaflet-apple.php?lat=39.193149972448325&lon=-96.64252281188965&z=14
Might just be an odd rendering artifact.

Toby

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

maning sambale
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst
I confirm that Apple is using OSM in the Philippines.

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Spod wrote:
>> http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/
>
> http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html (thanks Dair!) will show you the tiles
> they're using.
>
> Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...
>
> cheers
> Richard
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/iPhoto-for-iOS-Not-Using-Google-Maps-tp5546061p5546067.html
> Sent from the General Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk



--
cheers,
maning
------------------------------------------------------
"Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden
wiki: http://esambale.wikispaces.com/
blog: http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/
------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Simone Cortesi
As far as I can see,
they are using OSM in Italy too:
http://ivan.sanchezortega.es/leaflet-apple.php?lat=45.18082685754924&lon=9.217529296875&z=13


On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 05:10, maning sambale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I confirm that Apple is using OSM in the Philippines.
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Spod wrote:
>>> http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/
>>
>> http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html (thanks Dair!) will show you the tiles
>> they're using.
>>
>> Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...
>>
>> cheers
>> Richard
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/iPhoto-for-iOS-Not-Using-Google-Maps-tp5546061p5546067.html
>> Sent from the General Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> talk mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
>
>
>
> --
> cheers,
> maning
> ------------------------------------------------------
> "Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden
> wiki: http://esambale.wikispaces.com/
> blog: http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk



--
-S

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Andreas Labres
In reply to this post by maning sambale
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Chris Hill-6
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst
Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> Looks like they're using a old (pre-2011) planet dump for the data.

Yep, we've now pinned it down to 1st-7th April 2010.

cheers
Richard




talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

Surely it's easy to tell what data source Apple are using, they will have stated that in their attribution, won't they?


Cheers, Chris
User chillly
Blog http://chris-osm.blogspot.com
_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Joseph Reeves
In reply to this post by Iván Sánchez Ortega
From the original I saw on your overlay, Les Madriles appears to be the German:

http://gsp2.apple.com/tile?api=1&style=slideshow&layers=default&lang=de_DE&z=7&x=62&y=48&v=9

Swapping to en_US looks more familiar

http://gsp2.apple.com/tile?api=1&style=slideshow&layers=default&lang=en_US&z=7&x=62&y=48&v=9

Having said that, you can type in any old rubbish language parameter
and it comes up with Los Madriles:

http://gsp2.apple.com/tile?api=1&style=slideshow&layers=default&lang=jjjj_JJJJ&z=7&x=62&y=48&v=9

Presumably that's the default spelling it returns if you request a
language that Apple doesn't provide tiles for.

Cheers, Joseph



2012/3/8 Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]>:

> On Jueves, 8 de Marzo de 2012 01:41:22 andrzej zaborowski escribió:
>> Great :) -- Madrid is rendered with a name worthy of a map prank,
>> although it would fit loc_name too.
>
> I'm guessing that's an old toponym, now deleted from OSM. But we Madrileños
> refer to our city as that sometimes :-)
>
>
> --
> ----------------------------------
> Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
>
> http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
> MSN:[hidden email]
> Jabber:[hidden email] ; [hidden email]
> IRC: ivansanchez @ OFTC & freenode
>
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Yves
In reply to this post by Chris Hill-6
I think this is part of the fun searching for the datasource, there is no attribution, right?
Yves


Chris Hill <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> Looks like they're using a old (pre-2011) planet dump for the data.

Yep, we've now pinned it down to 1st-7th April 2010.

cheers
Richard




talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

Surely it's easy to tell what data source Apple are using, they will have stated that in their attribution, won't they?


Cheers, Chris
User chillly
Blog http://chris-osm.blogspot.com

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Richard Fairhurst
On 08/03/2012 10:41, Yves wrote:
> I think this is part of the fun searching for the datasource, there is
> no attribution, right?

Indeed. A couple of us are having discussions about how to get this
addressed. Stay tuned.

cheers
Richard


_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Nick Whitelegg-2
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst

Yes, it is OSM.  Look at the layout of the footpaths on that green/open area in the Portsmouth example.

I actually remember surveying that as part of the Portsmouth mapping party a couple of years ago...
There are other footpaths on that green area which I didn't get time to do. And they're not on the map. ;-)

Nick

-----Richard Fairhurst [hidden email] wrote: -----
To: [hidden email]
From: Richard Fairhurst [hidden email]
Date: 08/03/2012 12:06AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Spod wrote:
> http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/

http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html (thanks Dair!) will show you the tiles
they're using.

Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...

cheers
Richard



--
View this message in context: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/iPhoto-for-iOS-Not-Using-Google-Maps-tp5546061p5546067.html
Sent from the General Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Maarten Deen
Oh yes, it's OSM. I've been mapping a lot of forest tracks in my
neighborhood [1] and indicated some tracks that I didn't walk with only
a short stub.
Apple has all these stubs.
It also has all the local names that Google does not have and that are
a combination of dutch AND data, BAG data and local knowledge

Also in a different region [2] Apple has exactly the features I drew
and which are not in Google.

No way that comes from a different source. It is OSM.

The data is quite old though. I would think at least before last
summer.

[1]
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.30845&lon=6.0062&zoom=15&layers=M
[2]
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.40873&lon=6.088&zoom=15&layers=M

Regards,
Maarten

On 2012-03-08 11:58, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Yes, it is OSM. Look at the layout of the footpaths on that
> green/open
> area in the Portsmouth example.
>
> I actually remember surveying that as part of the Portsmouth mapping
> party a couple of years ago...
> There are other footpaths on that green area which I didn't get time
> to do. And they're not on the map. ;-)
>
> Nick
>
> -----Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> [8] wrote: -----
>
>> To: [hidden email] [1]
>> From: Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> [2]
>> Date: 08/03/2012 12:06AM
>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps
>>
>> Spod wrote:
>>> http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/ [3]
>>
>> http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html [4] (thanks Dair!) will show
>> you the tiles
>> they're using.
>>
>> Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...
>>
>> cheers
>> Richard
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context:
>>
>
> http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/iPhoto-for-iOS-Not-Using-Google-Maps-tp5546061p5546067.html
>> [5]
>> Sent from the General Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> talk mailing list
>> [hidden email] [6]
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk [7]
>
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
> [3] http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/
> [4] http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html
> [5]
>
> http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/iPhoto-for-iOS-Not-Using-Google-Maps-tp5546061p5546067.html
> [6] mailto:[hidden email]
> [7] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
> [8] mailto:[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Julio Costa Zambelli
In reply to this post by maning sambale
OpenStreetMap data in Chile.

The map has the same easter eggs as Waze OSM import did in early 2010
(http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-August/053579.html),
so I agree with Richards time frame estimate.

Regards,

Julio Costa Zambelli
OpenStreetMap Chile

[hidden email]

http://www.openstreetmap.cl/
Cel: +56(9)89981083
Postal: Casilla 9002, Correo 3, Viña del Mar, Chile



On 8 March 2012 01:10, maning sambale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I confirm that Apple is using OSM in the Philippines.
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Spod wrote:
>>> http://512pixels.net/iphoto-for-ios-not-using-google-maps/
>>
>> http://www.refnum.com/tmp/apple.html (thanks Dair!) will show you the tiles
>> they're using.
>>
>> Seems to be TIGER in the States but OSM in lots of other places...
>>
>> cheers
>> Richard
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/iPhoto-for-iOS-Not-Using-Google-Maps-tp5546061p5546067.html
>> Sent from the General Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> talk mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
>
>
>
> --
> cheers,
> maning
> ------------------------------------------------------
> "Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden
> wiki: http://esambale.wikispaces.com/
> blog: http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iPhoto for iOS Not Using Google Maps

Paul Johnson-3
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Julio Costa Zambelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The map has the same easter eggs as Waze OSM import did in early 2010
> (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-August/053579.html),
> so I agree with Richards time frame estimate.

Waze is using OSM?  When did this start?  Are they contributing data back?

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
12