if openstreetmap has some money, what should it be spent on?

if openstreetmap has some money, what should it be spent on?

Tom Carden
It has become clear to a few of us that there is the potential to raise a
few hundred pounds for OpenStreetMap, mainly through the sale of pretty
pictures made from GPS data.

Issues of who looks after the money (and under what terms) can be put aside
for the moment.  This shouldn't be thought of as a tip jar, it's more like a
one-off private donation.

If OpenStreetMap receives a small but significant amount of money, say ?500
GBP, what should it be spent on?

All suggestions welcomed,

Tom.

Re: if openstreetmap has some money, what should it be spent on?

Jo Walsh
hello,
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:57:54AM +0100, Tom Carden wrote:
> It has become clear to a few of us that there is the potential to raise a
> few hundred pounds for OpenStreetMap, mainly through the sale of pretty
> pictures made from GPS data.
> Issues of who looks after the money (and under what terms) can be put aside
> for the moment.  This shouldn't be thought of as a tip jar, it's more like
> a one-off private donation.

I would check with Saul on details, but we have longstanding pledges
of at least 450 towards to cause of free mapmaking and supporting it
which we have never found a solid use for. We also have a budget for 2K
infrastrucutre / bandwidth, and have been talking about using half of that
to support a UI design group in Mumbai working on the Mumbai Free Map
project, where money goes a lot further and where they have a great
deal of fine base layer data from the development plans - http://freemap.in

I don't mean to confuse things further by saying this, just that all
this together could mean a nice machine with a raid array and lots of
bandwidth that can be a mirror or even primary server and also put
'geowiki' (a term i've been hearing a lot in other contexts, Richard)
services and offer that as a global free hosted mapservice...

A pool of say 10 GPS units would be very useful for 'special projects'
but realistically how often will those happen? is the courier data
obviating the need to say, connect with cycling groups (southwark,
tower hamlets wheelers, camden, in mind) and get them to all carry
about GPSs for a week... route-optimising, custom application type
stuff, if the base map problem is starting to look cracked. plain old
garmins? something custom built?

geocoder.us is now running a fairly successful small-scale
subscription / support service; a lot of people do contribute, ethical
considerations adding an edge to genuine need... as coverage improves
this would definitely be viable for OSM, to pay for itself to exist.

-jo