label rendering

brad
How are street/highway/POI labels controlled, level and font size? How
can I change them?

Re: label rendering

ligfietser
About levels, you can specify resolution or level in your style files
For example tourism=hotel [0x2b01 resolution 24]

24 means that a hotel appears only in the highest zoom level
If you specify 20 it appears from zoom 20 or higher.
If you specify 20-22 it appears only in that range, so not on the highest zoom level 24

Font size can only be specified in the typ file, I use an editor like typviewer.
You can choose an invisible, small, default or large font style.
But bear in mind that on most Garmins units font size can be controlled only if it is set to default in the typ file.

Brad wrote:
How are street/highway/POI labels controlled, level and font size? How
can I change them?

Re: label rendering

Arndt Röhrig

Hi all,

My observation is, that ome POIs are hard-wired in BaseCamp.
They care little about "resolution."
On an Oregon and certainly other Garmins, there is an option to zoom scales.
If you place there 200m all POIs uses this value.

Greetz
Arndt

lig fietser <[hidden email]> hat am 1. Dezember 2018 um 09:28 geschrieben:

Brad wrote:
How are street/highway/POI labels controlled, level and font size? How
can I change them?

Re: label rendering

Gerd Petermann
Hi,

I think it depends on the selected map detail level what labels are rendered.

Gerd

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/custom

Brad wrote:
How are street/highway/POI labels controlled, level and font size? How
can I change them?

Re: label rendering

Arndt Röhrig
With hardwired I mean next:

For exampel:

amenity=fuel [0x2f01 resolution 22] and detail level "middle".

The gas stations disapper at 70m. But the switch between resolution 24 and 23 is at 300m and between 23 and 22 at 500m.

Sure, a higher detail level and the station will disappear later, but not at the scale like other elements.

Gerd Petermann < [hidden email]> hat am 1. Dezember 2018 um 11:44 geschrieben:

Hi,

I think it depends on the selected map detail level what labels are rendered.

Gerd

Re: label rendering

ligfietser
Yes, what Arndt writes is correct, for most pois Basecamp decides when it shows up. But there are some pois that Basecamp does not control, so you can use mkgmap to set those levels. I don't have a list of which pois are controlled by Basecamp, it is always a matter of trial and error. Complicated factor is that it also depends on the device; it is totally non consistent, sometimes a big mess what Garmin has made.
And the rendering in Mapsource is also different, but  it is more compatible with mkgmap than Basecamp.

amenity=fuel [0x2f01 resolution 22] and detail level "middle".

The gas stations disapper at 70m. But the switch between resolution 24 and 23 is at 300m and between 23 and 22 at 500m.

Sure, a higher detail level and the station will disappear later, but not at the scale like other elements.

Re: label rendering

popej
Hi Brad,

there are many factors:
- Style for mkgmap, used for compiling. It defines maximum level of an
object and the content of a label. Some markers in label can hide a part
of a label, depending on zoom level.
- TYP file attached to mapset. It defines graphics of an object, size
and colour of a label and label visibility.
- Settings in GPS. Some GPS allow to modify maximum zoom levels, label
sizes and visibility.
- Hardcoded properties of GPS. Some GPS don't allow for settings and
these properties are simply hardcoded. Many POI have a hardcoded maximum
level, railroads 0x14 usually are limited to most detailed level.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: label rendering

brad
thx,
I got it figured out for towns/villages to show at a lower resolution.
Road labels still have me puzzled.   I know how to control the level/resolution for the road, but how can I get labels at a lower resolution, or more labels?
I don't use Basecamp, I use QMapshack and a Garmin Montana.

On 12/1/18 5:28 AM, lig fietser wrote:
[...]

Ticker Berkin
On my Etrex:

Map Setup > Advanced Map Setup >
  Zoom Levels >
    Auto zoom: on/off
    Zoom Levels >
      4 controls for the resolutions at which following appear
        Points/Waypoints/Street labels/Land Cover
  Text Size (Points, Streets, Etc) >
    4 controls for Points/Waypoints/Street labels/Land cover
  Detail > 5 levels of detail

I haven't experimented with the effect of all of these - mostly leaving
them with the default setting. Does your Montana have similar?

Ticker

Re: label rendering

brad
On my Montana, those settings don't seem to do anything.   I am getting
better labels than with qmapshack, some primary hwy labels with level
2-6, not much change from 2-6, some additional labels at level
1/res23.   I wonder if part of the problem may be that the names are
very long, I'll try substituting the 'ref' tag instead 'name' & see if
that helps.

I've mostly been using QMapShack for my debugging.   It's actually worse
than the Garmin Montana.    I have some primary highway labels showing
up at level0/res 24, along with other road labels.  It's inconsistent
though,  1 of the primary highways labels doesn't show up with any
resolution.

I get the same results with my downloaded Openfietsmap Lite maps.

Is this something that we can't control?

On 12/2/18 4:07 AM, Ticker Berkin wrote:

> On my Etrex:
>
> Map Setup > Advanced Map Setup >
>    Zoom Levels >
>      Auto zoom: on/off
>      Zoom Levels >
>        4 controls for the resolutions at which following appear
>          Points/Waypoints/Street labels/Land Cover
>    Text Size (Points, Streets, Etc) >
>      4 controls for Points/Waypoints/Street labels/Land cover
>    Detail > 5 levels of detail
>
> I haven't experimented with the effect of all of these - mostly leaving
> them with the default setting. Does your Montana have similar?
>
> Ticker

Re: label rendering

Joris Bo

Hi Brad

Maybe somebody already addressed it, but in Basecamp and my Oregon label size also depends on whether poi's do or do not have an icon. Especially when specified as ’default-size’ a lable without icon is huge where the lable with icon and ‘default-size’ will be relatively small