leisure=common replacement for urban public areas in Africa]

leisure=common replacement for urban public areas in Africa]

Jean-Marc Liotier
Not much interest from [hidden email] - maybe
[hidden email]'s larger audience will weight in ?

Subject: [Talk-africa] leisure=common replacement for urban public areas
in Africa
Date:    Tue, March 5, 2019 10:40 am
To:      [hidden email]
         [hidden email]

The openstreetmap-carto rendering of leisure=common was recently dropped
(https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/commit/4df96c4e4927c3e029b31e34c0cf1be2dda6f637).

In Mali and Senegal, I had found leisure=common to be an expedient way to
describe explicitly designed publicly accessible undeveloped
municipality-owned open dirt areas in cities, public squares in the barest
sense, used for gatherings, impromptu soccer games and more generally as
breathing space in a dense urban fabric: it is dedicated to leisure and it
is a common area...

But it did stray a bit from the original British vernacular meaning, which
was akin to landuse=village_green in that the commons are normally grass
covered. So I usually combined leisure=common with surface=ground or
surface=sand to express the African reality... But still - this bends the
concept quite far out of its original shape.

So, though we do not map for the renderer, maybe this is a good time to
find a better tag to map that feature.

My candidate is
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Drecreation_ground - and
now that I think about it, I wonder why I didn't use it to begin with.

As I'm the author of a good many leisure=common in Mali and Senegal, my
near-term goal about them is to replace occurrences of leisure=common with
the better term but only in Mali and Senegal.

Re: leisure=common replacement for urban public areas in Africa]

Andrew Buck
This has been discussed before.  I have also created a great many of these and agree a better tag could be used but we never found one to switch to.  I would accept anything the community comes up with as long as it renders or the rendering rules are updated before the change.  We don't map for the renderer, but these are important features that people depend on being visible.  Aside from that, I am fine with switching tags.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019, 9:17 AM Jean-Marc Liotier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not much interest from [hidden email] - maybe
[hidden email]'s larger audience will weight in ?

in Africa

Re: leisure=common replacement for urban public areas in Africa]

Palolo
I'm not quite sure why landuse=village_green doesn't meet this need. There are plenty of examples of British word usage in OSM are not the same as the original vernacular.
Often in Africa an open area can be quite green in the rainy season and brown in the dry season.
I'm not opposed to this proposal, but just don't understand the added value.