leisure=recreation_ground discouraged?

Dave F
Hi

It appears there's an attempt to discourage/deprecate
leisure=recreation_ground.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Drecreation_ground
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Drecreation_ground

I've done a history search of this forum & can find no discussions on
this topic. Can someone point me to it if it was discussed elsewhere* If
not, what is the reason for it? (Being more popular doesn't always make
it a better choice).

To me, leisure=recreation_ground logically fits better with other
leisure tags such as pitch, playground, park, sports_centre etc.

* Coherently. By that I exclude the wiki talk pages which, after just a
dozen posts, descends into unformatted insults.

Cheers
DaveF

Re: leisure=recreation_ground discouraged?

Dave F
Last time I looked it was a preprogrammed option in all the 3 main editors.

Tagging mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

Re: leisure=recreation_ground discouraged?

dieterdreist

Am Mi., 5. Dez. 2018 um 14:48 Uhr schrieb Philip Barnes <[hidden email]>:
Just tried in iD, landuse is pre-programmed, not leisure.

that doesn't mean much, as iD developers, at least in the past, ignored the comunity decisions in more than one instance. It could be an indice to look if this has distorted the stats though (i.e. see when it was introduced as a preset for iD).

Looking at usage numbers, it seems correct to discourage leisure for this tag, as it was introduced in 2009 by an import, started to grow organically from 2011 to 2015 and is stalling since then, while landuse was introduced pre 2008 and does not show any "import steps", and it is at more than double the usage currently.

Still, from a systematic point of view, I would consider leisure the better tag, if this is not meant as a property but as a feature, similar to other comparable leisure features like pitches, stadia, swimming pools, sports centres, most of which have usage numbers orders of magnitude higher than recreation grounds, and which all use the leisure key.