Jan Saalbach
hi all,
I am trying to load a .asc file which contains points on each line in
the form of "x y z". After selecting the file uDig tells me to wait
but nothing happens. I can only click "cancel" from there on. The
"next" and "finish" buttons do not work, they are not greyed out though.

Any ideas on how I can load that .asc-file?

Regards,
Jan

Version: 1.2-RC3

Re: loading .asc file

Jody Garnett-2
I am not sure what an asc file is; there is a developer tutorial for reading in cvs files that could be adapted to suit.
Jody

On 04/08/2010, at 11:13 PM, Jan Saalbach wrote:

> hi all,
> I am trying to load a .asc file which contains points on each line in the form of "x y z". After selecting the file uDig tells me to wait but nothing happens. I can only click "cancel" from there on. The "next" and "finish" buttons do not work, they are not greyed out though.
>
> Any ideas on how I can load that .asc-file?
>
> Regards,
> Jan
>
> Version: 1.2-RC3

Re: loading .asc file

Jody Garnett-2
Another idea is to convert them to a shapefile with a command line tool such as http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html
Looks like it is a supported format: http://www.gdal.org/frmt_xyz.html

Jody

On 04/08/2010, at 11:13 PM, Jan Saalbach wrote:

> hi all,
> I am trying to load a .asc file which contains points on each line in the form of "x y z". After selecting the file uDig tells me to wait but nothing happens. I can only click "cancel" from there on. The "next" and "finish" buttons do not work, they are not greyed out though.
>
> Any ideas on how I can load that .asc-file?
>
> Regards,
> Jan
>
> Version: 1.2-RC3

Re: loading .asc file

Andrea Antonello
Hi Jan,
the asc extension in uDig is reserved for ESRI Ascii grids, not for
data triplets.

In JGrass we have an csv import tool:
http://jgrasstechtips.blogspot.com/2009/12/new-csv-import-interface.html

The latest uDig should install the JGrass plugins from update site.
You can find an install procedure here: http://tinyurl.com/2v2dyur

Ciao
Andrea