locate a point

Shelob1985@libero.it
Hi everybody. I have a very elementary question but any help is appreciated.
I have an excel database which contains the indication of latitude and
longitude
of, say, South American mineral ores. I have to find out in which country
of
South America each mineral ore is located. I have a shapefile of South
America which records also the boundaries of states, by means of latitude
and
longitude vector data. Is there any way I can use JGRASS to assign each data
point to
the country in which it falls?
Thanks,
Sheila

Re: locate a point

Silvia Franceschi-2
Hi Sheila,
it seems that you just have to:
1. save your position file in lat long as explained here:
http://jgrasstechtips.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-convert-csv-file-to-shapefile.html
2. import the position in JGrass using the Import / hydroCSV
3. download and install the Axios plugins for uDig/JGrass (same procedure as for uDig). You find all the informations here:
http://www.axios.es/ in the download area
4. use one of the axios tools to connect points and polygons

Hope this helps,

Silvia