making progress on raster DEM import...

Tim Eaton
Thanks for the quick reply Daniele and Andrea

I installed the jgrass build from the URL mentioned and so all the
jgrass files are in c:\program files\jgrass\
Following the guidance on Getting Started, I created a DATABASE
subdirectory under jgrass\grassdata and was
able to create a location called utm_ny that has subdirectories
PERMANENT and a mapset I named Mannahatta.

So far, so good.  But when I try to run r-in-gdal, I get the following
error:  "Sorry  <path> is not a valid option"

It's not clear in the various input windows in JGrass whether you're
supposed to enter just a filename or directory name
or the full path, with or without the forward slash at the end - I've
tried many different combinations.

Any other thoughts?     See below,

Tim

JGrass 2 Console ML (Model Language) Compiler, Version 1.0.0.832, for x86
Copyright (C)
    HydroloGIS - www.hydrologis.com,
    C.U.D.A.M. - http://www.unitn.it/dipartimenti/cudam
-------------------------------- Compiling...
---------------------------------
null
null - 1 model/s compiled, total compilation time: 121 ms

GroovyShell, Version 1.5.5, http://groovy.codehaus.org
------------------------------ Running model...
-------------------------------
Sorry <Files\jgrass\grassdata\DATABASE\utm_ny\Mannahatta> is not a valid
option

 Import GDAL supported raster file into a binary raster map layer.

Usage:
 r.in.gdal [-oefk] [input=name] [output=name] [band=value]
   [target=string] [title="phrase"] [location=string] [--overwrite]
   [--verbose] [--quiet]

Flags:
  -o   Override projection (use location's projection)
  -e   Extend location extents based on new dataset
  -f   List supported formats and exit
  -k   Keep band numbers instead of using band color names
 --o   Allow output files to overwrite existing files
 --v   Verbose module output
 --q   Quiet module output

Parameters:
     input   Raster file to be imported
    output   Name for output raster map
      band   Band to select (default is all bands)
    target   Name of location to read projection from for GCPs
transformation
     title   Title for resultant raster map
  location   Name for new location to create
r.in.gdal.exe : exit code: 1

Total run time: 4086 ms

--
Dr. Timothy T. Eaton
Assistant Professor

Re: making progress on raster DEM import...

Andrea Antonello
Hi Tim
what kind of datatype are you importing and what do you put in the
input window? Woudl you mind to send a screenshot in case?

From the error message of the r.in.gdal command it looks as you would
supply a wrong input.

Andrea

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Tim Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> null
>> null - 1 model/s compiled, total compilation time: 1642 ms

>> GroovyShell, Version 1.5.5, http://groovy.codehaus.org
>> ------------------------------ Running model...
>> -------------------------------
>> java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Program
>> Files\uDig\1.1.1\eclipse\jre\bin\r.in.gdal.exe": CreateProcess error=2,
>> The system cannot find the file specified
>>
>> Total run time: 4517 ms
>>

> --
> Dr. Timothy T. Eaton
> Assistant Professor
> Science Building E212
> School of Earth and Environmental Science
> http://qcpages.qc.edu/EES/
> Queens College - CUNY
> 65-30 Kissena Blvd
> Flushing, NY  11367
> 718 997 3327

Re: making progress on raster DEM import...

Andrea,
It's a set of ArcMap *.adf dem files and I select the hdr.adf file (think that's the right one).
However it doesn't seem to matter which of the *adf files I select

Shouldn't the created mapset directory (Mannahatta) be in the location subdirectory (utm_ny) under the DATABASE directory?

The error message is:
GroovyShell, Version 1.5.5, http://groovy.codehaus.org
------------------------------ Running model... -------------------------------
Sorry <Files\jgrass\grassdata\DATABASE\utm_ny\Mannahatta> is not a valid option

 Import GDAL supported raster file into a binary raster map layer.

Andrea Antonello wrote
Hi Tim
what kind of datatype are you importing and what do you put in the
input window? Woudl you mind to send a screenshot in case?

From the error message of the r.in.gdal command it looks as you would
supply a wrong input.

Andrea

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Tim Eaton <Timothy.Eaton@qc.cuny.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>> null
>> null - 1 model/s compiled, total compilation time: 1642 ms

>> GroovyShell, Version 1.5.5, http://groovy.codehaus.org
>> ------------------------------ Running model...
>> -------------------------------
>> java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Program
>> Files\uDig\1.1.1\eclipse\jre\bin\r.in.gdal.exe": CreateProcess error=2,
>> The system cannot find the file specified
>>
>> Total run time: 4517 ms
>>

> --
> Dr. Timothy T. Eaton
> Assistant Professor
> Science Building E212
> School of Earth and Environmental Science
> http://qcpages.qc.edu/EES/
> Queens College - CUNY
> 65-30 Kissena Blvd
> Flushing, NY  11367
> 718 997 3327

Re: making progress on raster DEM import...

a couple of thoughts.

1) if you have already created the location and set JGrass to work on
that (you do that with mapset settings [1], you do not need to set
anything in "location to create".
2) if you want to create a new location, you just have to insert the
name of the new location to create. It will create that location
inside the set grass database.

Apart of that, the for import of adf, you need to select a particular
file, I do not recall which one though right now. Let me know if the
rest works for you, in case I come back on that. I have to rush now,
sorry.

Ciao
Andrea

[1] http://jgrass.wiki.software.bz.it/jgrass/The_graphical_interface%3A_menu_and_toolbar#head-9de556060a000c5d108ef740d49b3df9da426dc1

> [...]
>>>  -e   Extend location extents based on new dataset
>>>  -f   List supported formats and exit
>>>  -k   Keep band numbers instead of using band color names
>>>  --o   Allow output files to overwrite existing files
>>>  --v   Verbose module output
>>>  --q   Quiet module output
>>>
>>> Parameters:
>>>     input   Raster file to be imported
>>>    output   Name for output raster map
>>>      band   Band to select (default is all bands)
>>>    target   Name of location to read projection from for GCPs
>>> transformation
>>>     title   Title for resultant raster map
>>>  location   Name for new location to create
>>> r.in.gdal.exe : exit code: 1
>>>
>>> Total run time: 4086 ms

>>> --
>>> Dr. Timothy T. Eaton
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Science Building E212
>>> School of Earth and Environmental Science

Re: [JGrass-users] making progress on raster DEM import...

Tim Eaton
Andrea,
Sorry to bother you again.  I left the location to create space blank,
and that eliminated the previous error.  However,
now I'm getting an ERROR: region for current mapset is not set - run
"g.region"

I also tried the w001001x..adf file instead of the hdr.adf file, but it
made no difference.

Wasn't the region set when I specified the UTM zone and coordinates in
the JGrass workspace wizard?

Tim

Andrea Antonello [via GIS] wrote:

> [...]
> r.in.gdal
> <http://n2.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4273319&i=2>

> hydrology and
> would also

> etc.. on
> with

> to be
>  I set
> DATABASE, as I

> for

> error=2,

> > --

Dr. Timothy T. Eaton
Assistant Professor
Science Building E212
School of Earth and Environmental Science
http://qcpages.qc.edu/EES/
Queens College - CUNY
65-30 Kissena Blvd
Flushing, NY  11367
718 997 3327

Re: making progress on raster DEM import...

Silvia Franceschi-2
Hi Tim,
yes the original region is the one you specify in the JGrass workspace wizard. Anyway you can set the region to the new raster map using the graphical interface of the Active Region Graphic (as explained here http://jgrass.wiki.software.bz.it/jgrass/The_Active_Region).

When do you get the error message?

An other way to solve this problem is to create a new location with the command r.in.gdal. In this case the region will be automatically set on the new raster map you are importing. Very important in this case is that the location you specify in the relative box is a new location, not the one you created with the workspace wizard. This is the error you where doing before...
At the end of the command a new location will be present in your database (but unfortunately not added to the catalog) and inside there should be your map. So open this location using the Import command from the Catalog Icons at the bottom of the window and select the Location you want to import in JGrass. At this point the new location will be added to the Catalog and you can visualize the maps using drag and drop in the Map window.

Hope this helps,

Silvia

--
Dr. Timothy T. Eaton
Assistant Professor
Science Building E212
School of Earth and Environmental Science
http://qcpages.qc.edu/EES/
Queens College - CUNY
65-30 Kissena Blvd
Flushing, NY  11367
718 997 3327

Re: making progress on raster DEM import...

Tim Eaton
Silvia,
OK, I tried your "other way" and specified a *new* location which it seemed to accept,
and r.in.gdal seemed to run fine.  So I followed the rest of your directions and dragged the
new location from the catalog window to the map window, which brought up a new Add Data JGrass Workspace Wizard!  Then after I typed the path for the import data files in the window, it seems to be stuck endlessly "Processing Drop Event" based on a message in the lower right corner.

Any suggestions?  Sorry to be such a pest!

Tim

Silvia Franceschi-2 wrote

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Tim Eaton <Timothy.Eaton@qc.cuny.edu>wrote:

> [...]
> > hydrology and
> > would also

> > etc.. on
> > with

> > to be
> >  I set
> > DATABASE, as I

> > for

> > error=2,

> > > --

> > here
> > <<Link Removed>>.
> >

> --
> Dr. Timothy T. Eaton
> Assistant Professor
> Science Building E212
> School of Earth and Environmental Science
> http://qcpages.qc.edu/EES/
> Queens College - CUNY
> 65-30 Kissena Blvd
> Flushing, NY  11367
> 718 997 3327

Re: [JGrass-users] making progress on raster DEM import...

the easiest way to import a GRASS location not create with the
JGrassWizar is here:

http://jgrass.wiki.software.bz.it/jgrass/How_to_get_started_with_JGrass#head-b63bec541fc8b1183332d6aafebebfef76fa6523

Let me know if it works for you. Otherwise I will explain how to do it a
bit better... :)

Silvia