man-made missing-manhole mistery

voschix
I stumbled upon this:
According to the manhole wikipage  "manhole=drain" has as a prerequisite "man_made=manhole"
BUT, according to taginfo, there are
10337 instances of " manhole=drain", but only 1809 instances of "man_made=manhole"

Is it time to change the wiki page to describe the actual use or am I missing something?

Volker

Re: man-made missing-manhole mistery

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 at 06:11, Volker Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I stumbled upon this:
According to the manhole wikipage  "manhole=drain" has as a prerequisite "man_made=manhole"
BUT, according to taginfo, there are
10337 instances of " manhole=drain", but only 1809 instances of "man_made=manhole"

Is it time to change the wiki page to describe the actual use or am I missing something?

Are we even allowed to call them manholes? :-)

manhole=drain for a storm water drain (opening / grate that allows heavy runoff from street gutters down into the storm water system) doesn't seem quite right to me, as a manhole is an access point for people to climb down into pipes etc.

Have seen man_made=storm_drain in use which seems a better choice to me.

Thanks

Graeme

Re: man-made missing-manhole mistery

Joseph Eisenberg
The page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:manhole implies that
manhole=drain is for manholes that provide access to an underground
"surface water drain for removing rainwater", so they should not be
the opening or grate for water.

However, I don't know if this is how the tag is actually used. It
would be good for someone to download the instances in their area and
and check vs aerial imagery or survey.