man_made=snow_net vs man_made=snow_fence vs barrier=fence?

man_made=snow_net vs man_made=snow_fence vs barrier=fence?

Joseph Eisenberg
Two tags were added to the Map Features page a while back, but don't
appear to have been discussed in a proposal.

man_made=snow_fence is used for fences that help prevent avalanches in
steep slopes with heavy snowfall. This tag has been used almost 3000
timeshttps://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dsnow_fence

This seem enough usage to be in Map Features, though I'm not certain
that barrier=fence wouldn't be better. That tag, while less specific,
has been used millions of times and is widely supported. And isn't a
snow fence just a specialized type of fence?

An even rarer tag is man_made=snow_net - only use a little over 100
times. This is described as a snow fence made of cables - but isn't
this just a type of fence?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dsnow_net

I plan to remove man_made=snow_net from map features. If a more
specific tag than barrier=fence is needed, then man_made=snow_fence is
sufficient; the material or manner of construction of the snow fence
could be tagged separately.

Should a note also be added to the wiki pages to suggest tagging
barrier=fence on the same way?

Joseph

Re: man_made=snow_net vs man_made=snow_fence vs barrier=fence?

dieterdreist
I agree that these are likely always barriers and would be more consistently tagged under the "barrier" key. Also I concur these are types of fences. While a specific tagging or subtagging seems desirable, I would not use the established fence_type for it, as this describes structural and or material properties, rather than the scope / purpose: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/fence_type#values

maybe an additional qualifier like avalanche_protection=yes which could be added to fences, walls, galleries etc.?

Cheers

Re: man_made=snow_net vs man_made=snow_fence vs barrier=fence?

Joseph Eisenberg
Would you suggest removing both man_made=snow_net and
man_made=snow_fence from the curated list in Map Features?

Joseph

On 26. Jul 2019, at 15:38, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Would you suggest removing both man_made=snow_net and man_made=snow_fence
 from the curated list in Map Features?

there are almost 3000 man_made=snow_fence in the db, but only 150 snow nets. I would keep the former and require a proposal to change it, but I believe we could drop the snow net for now and convert it into a proposal.

Cheers Martin