map limehouse

Saul Albert
Dear osm,

Wow, sorry for the lateness of this bulletin, my brain's been all wrong.

On Sunday 17th July, as part of limehouse town hall's 'open weekend'
(http://limehousetownhall.org.uk) , you are invited to help 'map
limehouse'.. walking, biking, meandering around with either high-tech
gizmos or tooled up with pieces of paper, we'll divide up the uncharted
areas of east Tower Hamlets and go out on a survey.

Here are some Collaborative mapping tools to experiment with during the
session:

[OpenStreetmap] - download the data from your GPS unit (provided, if
you don't have one) into GPX format, and contribute it to this site,
where the dots can be joined into patterns of lines.
- http://openstretmap.org

[GPX viewer on top of Google Maps ], uses javascript to plot tracks and
provide a quick-and-easy visualisation.
- http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/googlegpx/

[Simple Street Annotator] for adding extra metadata (street names and
types, which affect map display) to lines from [OpenStreetmap]?.
- http://map.wirelesslondon.info/map/annotate.cgi?mode=browse

[QuantumGIS] is an open source viewer and simple editor for Geographic
Information Systems and geodata. (desktop application)
- http://www.qgis.org/

Hopefully, Steve Coast from Openstreetmap.org.uk, and Jo Walsh and Lottie
Child of the Uo faculties of Cartography, Econometrics and Physical
Education will lead the workshop.

The proposed process for the use of OSM in the workshop (this is the
first workshop-based experiment, so it will probably all go wrong!) is
this: (comments welcome)

1. Divide up the area using an old OS map, and draw a simple schematic of the
   borders of each area.. so people know which roads form the outer border
   of their survey area.

2. Make up some survey sheets - with space for time, roadname and road
   type.

3. Re-assemble at limehouse after the survey, and teach everyone how to extract
   gpx files.

4. Show people how to register at osm, and how to upload their files and
   link them together into line segments.

5. Play with the above tools to make the experience more whizz-bang.

There's also big bits of paper and art materials lying on the floor in
the hall, between the tombola, the tea cake stand and the space hijackers
urban letterboxing stall: http://www2.spacehijackers.org/letterboxing/ so
it won't all involve looking at gadgets and computers.

We'll start with explanations and tests in the early afternoon but won't
actually get mapping until Lottie sings some Jazz standards at about
13:45 and then Jo and/or Steve does some free geodata zealotry.. then
we'll go out looking for things to map, say from 2:30. However, if you
want some free, communidee lunch, come early.

Cheers,

Saul.

--
-- http://chinabone.lth.bclub.org.uk/~saul/

Re: map limehouse

Saul Albert
Hi All,

Well Jo and I had fun with the workshop today. A little sketchy at first,
but a few valuable lessons were learned. Sorry again for the ridiculously
short notice, especially to Steve.. I should have double-checked and
assumed you wouldn't make it after your party rather than surprise
booking you :).. Wish I'd made it on Saturday too.. but the limehouse
town hall 'open weekend' was a bit mental.

One really nice lesson that was learned from this workshop attempt - was
that people are actually really interested in this activity, find it fun
and eyes lit up quite a lot when people saw their tracks on Tom's google
maps gpx viewer.

It might be worth postponing/cancelling the Map Walthamstow workshop
until the new applet is ready though.. It was quite difficult keeping
people's attention on the slower, more procedural approach of creating
segments from points after the google maps gpx view 'oooh' moment.

Anyway, the fact that people were into it and seemed to enjoy themselves
was a positive outcome, I'd like to try this again and develop a more
robust workshop plan with proper materials etc.. The 5 garmins borrowed
from the British Library were useful to. I think I can source those
again.

I've written a few bits up here and bunged up an image:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Past_Events

Cheers,

Saul.

Re: map limehouse

stevec-4
* @ 18/07/05 12:29:52 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> assumed you wouldn't make it after your party rather than surprise
> booking you :).. Wish I'd made it on Saturday too.. but the limehouse
> town hall 'open weekend' was a bit mental.

Its all good. Yes, party was hectic but fun of course... And precluded
much activity on Sunday :-/

> and eyes lit up quite a lot when people saw their tracks on Tom's google
> maps gpx viewer.

I might have had something to do with that too, see the small print :-}

> Anyway, the fact that people were into it and seemed to enjoy themselves
> was a positive outcome, I'd like to try this again and develop a more
> robust workshop plan with proper materials etc.. The 5 garmins borrowed
> from the British Library were useful to. I think I can source those
> again.
>
> I've written a few bits up here and bunged up an image:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Past_Events

Thats cool. Next time, might be cool to get the victims to write up
their thoughts also. Link to area(s) mapped on OSM?

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Re: map limehouse

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Saul Albert]
> I've written a few bits up here and bunged up an image:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Past_Events

Perhaps this should include a link to the resulting OSM area, for
those of us without any knowledge on where Limehouse Hall is?

Re: map limehouse

Jeff Thurston
Hi folks,

I have been following the discussion as this community effort developed
and wonder if someone would like to write a short article about it?  My
thought is that it could be published in the magazine. I am not sure who
to address this too though. While there is no financial exchange, it
offers the opportunity to reach 15,000 people who are interested in this
type of effort.

Many people would be interested to learn how the map is being developed,
but also, how mapping efforts like this come together, what the issues
are and some of the lessons learned. Others across Europe and
internationally could learn from such an article.

Anyone interested to work on this?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Thurston, Editor
GEO:connexion International Magazine
Berlin, Germany
T: (49).30.2404.9890
http://www.geoconnexion.com

Saul Albert wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Well Jo and I had fun with the workshop today. A little sketchy at first,
>but a few valuable lessons were learned. Sorry again for the ridiculously
>short notice, especially to Steve.. I should have double-checked and
>assumed you wouldn't make it after your party rather than surprise
>booking you :).. Wish I'd made it on Saturday too.. but the limehouse
>town hall 'open weekend' was a bit mental.
>
>One really nice lesson that was learned from this workshop attempt - was
>that people are actually really interested in this activity, find it fun
>and eyes lit up quite a lot when people saw their tracks on Tom's google
>maps gpx viewer.
>
>It might be worth postponing/cancelling the Map Walthamstow workshop
>until the new applet is ready though.. It was quite difficult keeping
>people's attention on the slower, more procedural approach of creating
>segments from points after the google maps gpx view 'oooh' moment.
>
>Anyway, the fact that people were into it and seemed to enjoy themselves
>was a positive outcome, I'd like to try this again and develop a more
>robust workshop plan with proper materials etc.. The 5 garmins borrowed
>from the British Library were useful to. I think I can source those
>again.
>
>I've written a few bits up here and bunged up an image:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Past_Events
>
>Cheers,
>
>Saul.

Re: map limehouse

Saul Albert
hi Jeff, all,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:53:31AM +0200, Jeff Thurston wrote:
> Anyone interested to work on this?

It would be a nice article - piccys are sweet, I could take some more,
and I know there are some really sweet ones of a little girl drawing a
map of limehouse on the floor by the computer table..

I don't have time to write anything though. Anyone got the inclination?
Let me know and I'll try dig out more photos from the day.

Cheers,

Saul.

Re: map limehouse

Jo Walsh
On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:52:11AM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> Thats cool. Next time, might be cool to get the victims to write up
> their thoughts also. Link to area(s) mapped on OSM?

http://uo.space.frot.org/freemap/limehouse contains the tracks, there
was one more set that i didn't get a copy of. there's a pile of
islington tracks on one of them.

they center on http://tinyurl.com/8zkb3, as saul mentioned a lot of
the major roads round there have courier coverage, you look at canary
wharf it is just a big blob of dots. so a lot of what we picked up was
filling in detail of areas sketched out on the bike, and particularly
'unmapped' areas, footpaths in council estates and paths, small
alleays and inlets that don't appear in the navteq / teleatlas data
sets (though i imagine they abound in the OS data)

i have a lot of re-drawing to do in that area but am reluctant todo
while the situation with deleted line segments still showign up on
the main map view still obtains.

i havent really noticed much drawing activity and am really, really
looking forward to playing with tom's heralded new drawer/annotator.
no pressure, mind ;)

-jo

Re: map limehouse

stevec-4
* @ 19/07/05 10:53:59 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:52:11AM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> > Thats cool. Next time, might be cool to get the victims to write up
> > their thoughts also. Link to area(s) mapped on OSM?
>
> http://uo.space.frot.org/freemap/limehouse contains the tracks, there
> was one more set that i didn't get a copy of. there's a pile of
> islington tracks on one of them.

they're all in OSM anyway, right?

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

error while editing the wiki

Raphael Jacquot-2

Database error
 From OpenStreetMap
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in
the software. The last attempted database query was:

     (SQL query hidden)

from within function "SearchUpdate::doUpdate". MySQL returned error
"1016: Can't open file: 'searchindex.MYI' (errno: 145) (localhost)".

Re: error while editing the wiki

stevec-4
Hi,

This is a known issue. The wiki still works.

If someone knows how to turn off the builtin search function and use
google in mdeiawiki....? Then it will go away.