map overlay

ilteriş kaplan
Hello all,

We are considering using cloudmade/openstreetmap for a location based art project we are considering delving into. We are at the research period right now and I do have some questions if you don't mind. In our application, we need to overlay/custom draw certain locations. One example is, say, you are in Manhattan and we want to be able to color the east village area in a different color. Is this possible with openstreetmaps using custom tiles? Hypothetically, I  think we could have generate a few different tiles to replace  each other when we want to change the colors for those locations but I'd appreciate if there's a less cumbersome way to do this.

I am considering this application for mobile and web. I would appreciate any directions/tutorials especially using custom tile maps too.

best,
ilteris