marine traffic control towers

voschix
What's the correct term and tagging for marine traffic control towers or
similar buildings?

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

marine traffic control towers

Graeme Fitzpatrick
I don't know if marine traffic control stations actually have a "proper"
name, like airport control towers?

Doesn't really seem to be anything that fits well?

Best option would appear to come under man_made, possibly either

:monitoring station
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dmonitoring_station,
which also makes reference to monitoring traffic
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:monitoring:traffic, although they
refer to counting, rather than controlling

:surveillance
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dsurveillance

:tower https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dtower, which
then also allows you to specify type_, possible either communication,
observation or both?

Had a look at the Dover Coastguard base, which monitors (but not sure if
they also control?) marine traffic in the Straights of Dover
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.13303/1.34274&layers=T, & that is
only shown as amenity_coastguard

Anybody know of any other major marine traffic control stations that could
give any clues?

Thanks

Graeme
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

marine traffic control towers

Malcolm Herring
On 29/07/2017 09:39, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> What's the correct term and tagging for marine traffic control towers or
> similar buildings?

No tags have been defined as far as I know. This may of help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vessel_traffic_service

marine traffic control towers

voschix
Just a few examples, to give you an idea that these are visible landmarks:

   - The object that triggered my curiosity:

   https://www.port.venice.it/it/la-torre-dei-piloti-del-porto-di-venezia-alta-circa-40-metri-si-trova-alla-bocca-di-porto-di-ma.html
   in OSM:
   http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/511308986

   - https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torre_di_controllo#/media/
   File:Torre_di_controllo_porto_di_Genova_2006.jpg
   <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torre_di_controllo#/media/File:Torre_di_controllo_porto_di_Genova_2006.jpg>
   (collapsed in an accident 10 years ago)

   - Centro De Coordinación Y Control Del Tráfico Marítimo, Lisboa, Portugal

   http://www.floornature.es/g-byrne-centro-de-coordinacion-y-control-del-trafico-maritimo-lisboa-portugal-4108/

   - http://c8.alamy.com/comp/AGX8AM/harbor-master-control-
   tower-at-the-port-of-rotterdam-netherlands-AGX8AM.jpg
   <http://c8.alamy.com/comp/AGX8AM/harbor-master-control-tower-at-the-port-of-rotterdam-netherlands-AGX8AM.jpg>

   - http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/abb8e861e353400e850a9c643b2499
   17/harbour-control-tower-a-coruna-galicia-spain-dd7btg.jpg
   <http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/abb8e861e353400e850a9c643b249917/harbour-control-tower-a-coruna-galicia-spain-dd7btg.jpg>
   in OSM:
   http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/95790514

   - http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/18af80b1666e45e2a299b855db7412
   8f/amsterdam-control-tower-at-the-port-holland-bdt7ab.jpg

   <http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/18af80b1666e45e2a299b855db74128f/amsterdam-control-tower-at-the-port-holland-bdt7ab.jpg>
   - http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/static/
   photo/1x/Luebeck-travemuende-Control-Tower-Harbour-Entrance-2418648.jpg
   <http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/static/photo/1x/Luebeck-travemuende-Control-Tower-Harbour-Entrance-2418648.jpg>
   "Lotsenstation".
   In OSM:
   http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/157834056

   - https://folkestonejack.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/harbour_01.jpg

   - http://www.southafrica.to/transport/cruises/Starlight/
   Rhapsody/Durban-Cape-Town/images/20090131/PE/Port-Control-Tower-LARGE.JPG
   <http://www.southafrica.to/transport/cruises/Starlight/Rhapsody/Durban-Cape-Town/images/20090131/PE/Port-Control-Tower-LARGE.JPG>
   in OSM:
   http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/114521892#map=18/-33.95586/25.6382
   <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/114521892#map=18/-33.95586/25.63827>

   -
   http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/c1657798dca240378c278f4bf74d7a2f/radar-and-radio-control-tower-port-of-algeciras-andalucia-spain-c4tc22.jpg
   in OSM:
   should be about here: http://osm.org/go/b6UcAiSME?m=

It seems that there is no consistent tagging yet.

What about tower:type=marine_traffic_control or tower:type=harbour_control
(in analogy to airport_control).

Virus-free.
<#m_-5396702300368368521_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On 30 July 2017 at 08:59, Malcolm Herring <malcolm.herring at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> On 29/07/2017 09:39, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>
>> What's the correct term and tagging for marine traffic control towers or
>> similar buildings?
>>

> No tags have been defined as far as I know. This may of help:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vessel_traffic_service

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

marine traffic control towers

> On 30. Jul 2017, at 05:56, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Best option would appear to come under man_made

Would also fit under the proposed "seaway" key.

I'm aware of a traffic control centre (it's  operated by the military and monitors all kind of traffic in the mediterranean sea, also civilian).

marine traffic control towers

voschix
I'm aware of a traffic control centre (it's  operated by the military and
> monitors all kind of traffic in the mediterranean sea, also civilian).

I suppose Martin is referring to the marine equivalent  of Area Control
Centers for air traffic (ACC). But that's different from the structure I
have in mind as it's not in visual contact with what is going on "below"
the tower. To me it looks that many harbours have this type of Lookout
place, manned by (maritime) pilots. Many of them are prominent structures
similar to airport control towers. The place Martin describes is more an
office type of place where experts sit in front of computer screens and
evaluate remote position data, like air traffic control centres.

On 30/07/2017 16:59, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> I suppose Martin is referring to**the marine equivalent  of Area Control
> Centers for air traffic (ACC). But that's different from the structure I
> have in mind as it's not in visual contact with what is going on "below"
> the tower.

There is no marine equivalent of Area Control Centres. The VTS stations
that this thread refers to are usually operated by port authorities and
only control the traffic in their jurisdictions. Some busy sealanes
(e.g. Dover Strait/Pas de Calais) are controlled by coastguard services
as they do not control the traffic of any particular port.

marine traffic control towers

voschix
> There is no marine equivalent of Area Control Centres.

> The VTS stations that this thread refers to are usually operated by port
> authorities and only control the traffic in their jurisdictions.

I am not sure whether "my" tower is a VTS one. It is known locally as
"pilots' tower". I have not checked the signs on the door, to be honest.

Some busy sealanes (e.g. Dover Strait/Pas de Calais) are controlled by
> coastguard services as they do not control the traffic of any particular
> port.

But in any case it would be nice to agree on a generic tagging for these
prominent control-tower-like structures in ports.

On 30/07/2017 21:35, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> I am not sure whether "my" tower is a VTS one. It is known locally as
> "pilots' tower". I have not checked the signs on the door, to be honest.

Port pilotage is one of the functions controlled by VTS stations. If you
live within 30NM of this structure, listen on Marine channel 13 to hear
what is going on there.