max-nodes in splitter

Jakob Mühldorfer-2
Hi,

I tried to read all the docs and forums about max-nodes, but I still have questions left:

  • Does the splitter print an error when max-nodes is too large, or is it unpredictable and will it only fail on the GPS device
  • Do tiles with more nodes mean higher or lower draw performance on devices, or not matter at all

Thank you for your help
Jakob

Re: max-nodes in splitter

Gerd Petermann
Hi Jakob,

Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
  * Does the splitter print an error when max-nodes is too large, or is
    it unpredictable and will it only fail on the GPS device
No. There is no specific limit on the number of nodes in the device, the value is just an easy to calculate number which expresses the density of data. There are size limits in a single IMG file, and mkgmap will print an error message (and write an empty img file) in such a case, so one wants to avoid that. The actual tile size depends on various parameters, esp. the style.

Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
  * Do tiles with more nodes mean higher or lower draw performance on
    devices, or not matter at all
I have no idea. If you split an area into many small tiles instead of a few larger ones, you will more often
cross the border of a tile when driving through the area, which probably means that the device has to read the whole next tile. On the other hand, reading a small tile should be faster.
Within a single tile the data is again organized in smaller sub areas, so the impact on draw performance should be very small.
I've looked at a few Garmin gmapsupp files and they have tile sizes between 2 and 12 MB, so Garmin seems not to care about it very much.

Gerd

Re: max-nodes in splitter

Jakob Mühldorfer-2
I am guessing that

> Number of MapFailedExceptions: 0
> Number of ExitExceptions: 0

would be non zero, if I choose to high nodecount in one tile?

Am 12.11.2016 um 10:05 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Jakob,
>

> Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
>>    * Does the splitter print an error when max-nodes is too large, or is
>>      it unpredictable and will it only fail on the GPS device
> No. There is no specific limit on the number of nodes in the device, the
> value is just an easy to calculate number which expresses the density of
> data. There are size limits in a single IMG file, and mkgmap will print an
> error message (and write an empty img file) in such a case, so one wants to
> avoid that. The actual tile size depends on various parameters, esp. the
> style.
>

> Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
>>    * Do tiles with more nodes mean higher or lower draw performance on
>>      devices, or not matter at all
> I have no idea. If you split an area into many small tiles instead of a few
> larger ones, you will more often
> cross the border of a tile when driving through the area, which probably
> means that the device has to read the whole next tile. On the other hand,
> reading a small tile should be faster.
> Within a single tile the data is again organized in smaller sub areas, so
> the impact on draw performance should be very small.
> I've looked at a few Garmin gmapsupp files and they have tile sizes between
> 2 and 12 MB, so Garmin seems not to care about it very much.
>
> Gerd

Re: max-nodes in splitter

Carlos Dávila-2
Right, then you'll receive something like this:
GRAVE (MapFailedException): usa/60248060.o5m: (thrown in
BufferedImgFileWriter.ensureSize()) There is not enough room in a single
garmin map for all the input data. The .osm file should be split into
smaller pieces first.
Number of MapFailedExceptions: 1
Number of ExitExceptions: 0

El 12/11/16 a las 23:34, Jakob Mühldorfer escribió:

> I am guessing that
>
>> Number of MapFailedExceptions: 0
>> Number of ExitExceptions: 0
>
> would be non zero, if I choose to high nodecount in one tile?
>

> Am 12.11.2016 um 10:05 schrieb Gerd Petermann:
>> Hi Jakob,
>>

>> Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
>>>    * Does the splitter print an error when max-nodes is too large,
>>> or is
>>>      it unpredictable and will it only fail on the GPS device
>> No. There is no specific limit on the number of nodes in the device, the
>> value is just an easy to calculate number which expresses the density of
>> data. There are size limits in a single IMG file, and mkgmap will
>> print an
>> error message (and write an empty img file) in such a case, so one
>> wants to
>> avoid that. The actual tile size depends on various parameters, esp. the
>> style.
>>

>> Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
>>>    * Do tiles with more nodes mean higher or lower draw performance on
>>>      devices, or not matter at all
>> I have no idea. If you split an area into many small tiles instead of
>> a few
>> larger ones, you will more often
>> cross the border of a tile when driving through the area, which probably
>> means that the device has to read the whole next tile. On the other
>> hand,
>> reading a small tile should be faster.
>> Within a single tile the data is again organized in smaller sub
>> areas, so
>> the impact on draw performance should be very small.
>> I've looked at a few Garmin gmapsupp files and they have tile sizes
>> between
>> 2 and 12 MB, so Garmin seems not to care about it very much.
>>
>> Gerd
>>

>> --

Por favor, no me envíe documentos con extensiones .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .mdb, mdbx
Instale LibreOffice desde http://es.libreoffice.org/descarga/
LibreOffice es libre: se puede copiar, modificar y redistribuir libremente. Gratis y totalmente legal.
LibreOffice está en continuo desarrollo y no tendrá que pagar por las nuevas versiones.

Re: max-nodes in splitter

Jakob Mühldorfer-2
Yes thank you, I reproduced that now with 4mio nodes a tile 2/210 were
too large
Understood

Am 12.11.2016 um 23:40 schrieb Carlos Dávila:

> Right, then you'll receive something like this:
> GRAVE (MapFailedException): usa/60248060.o5m: (thrown in
> BufferedImgFileWriter.ensureSize()) There is not enough room in a
> single garmin map for all the input data. The .osm file should be
> split into smaller pieces first.
> Number of MapFailedExceptions: 1
> Number of ExitExceptions: 0
>

> El 12/11/16 a las 23:34, Jakob Mühldorfer escribió:
>> I am guessing that
>>
>>> Number of MapFailedExceptions: 0
>>> Number of ExitExceptions: 0
>>
>> would be non zero, if I choose to high nodecount in one tile?
>>

>> Am 12.11.2016 um 10:05 schrieb Gerd Petermann:
>>> Hi Jakob,
>>>

>>> Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
>>> No. There is no specific limit on the number of nodes in the device,
>>> the
>>> value is just an easy to calculate number which expresses the
>>> density of
>>> data. There are size limits in a single IMG file, and mkgmap will
>>> print an
>>> error message (and write an empty img file) in such a case, so one
>>> wants to
>>> avoid that. The actual tile size depends on various parameters, esp.
>>> the
>>> style.
>>>

>>> Jakob Mühldorfer-2 wrote
>>> I have no idea. If you split an area into many small tiles instead
>>> of a few
>>> larger ones, you will more often
>>> cross the border of a tile when driving through the area, which
>>> probably
>>> means that the device has to read the whole next tile. On the other
>>> hand,
>>> reading a small tile should be faster.
>>> Within a single tile the data is again organized in smaller sub
>>> areas, so
>>> the impact on draw performance should be very small.
>>> I've looked at a few Garmin gmapsupp files and they have tile sizes
>>> between
>>> 2 and 12 MB, so Garmin seems not to care about it very much.
>>>
>>> Gerd

splitter and josm problem

Thomas Morgenstern

Hi at all, i am using splitter r429 and mkgmap r3695. Normally it works perfekt. But now  it gives me a problem with multipolygons. I downloaded and splitt latest-europe.osm.pbf from geofabrik, ---> splitt it with splitter r429 for testing to 2 tiles, a big tile 80000707.osm.pbf and a small tile 80000011.osm.pbf. The small tile is inner the big tile. Both  tiles contains the area with the multipolgon ID 23387723. Then compile it for testing  separatly with mkgmap r3695. If the input is the small tile 80000011.osm.pbf, it compile the img correct, spezially the multipolygon ID 233877233 (tags : name=Schloßteich; natural=water; type=multipolygon) is present as 0x3c in resulting img. See img2ms.de/bilder/multipolygon-good.jpg. It is the blue lake name ='Schlossteich'

If i compile the big 80000707.osm.pbf, the resulting img has not this area . It seems for me, as if the multipolygon ID 23387723  is ignored. See img2ms.de/bilder/multipolygon-wrong.jpg. In both cases i use ident style. It makes no different, if the default style or my own style is used.

I tried to found out, if the splitter produce the multipolygon in  the big 80000707.osm.pbf, but JOSM v11223  can not load the big (~25MB)  80000707.osm.pbf. : JOSM --> open file 80000707.osm.pbf--> 'Lese OSM-Daten...'--> and a few minutes later the MessageBox close, but the osm.pbf shows not on the screen. Has the JOSM-plugin 'pbf: Version 32865' any limitations ? My PC has 6 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows10.
Any hints are welcome. Download for both 80000*.osm.pbf : img2ms.de/bilder/8000osm-pbf.rar:  Splittfile for splitter r429   : img2ms.de/bilder/areas.list
regards Thomas

Re: splitter and josm problem

Gerd Petermann
Hi Thomas,

I can open the big file in JOSM with JRE option -Xmx6G.
Besides that the mp relation is 59766, the id 233877233 belongs to the outer way.
And yes, splitter seems to drop the relation in the large file. I'll try to find out
why.

Gerd
Thomas Morgenstern wrote
[...]

Hi gerd thanks for your tests. I am waiting for your solution...

Thomas

Am 13.11.2016 um 12:03 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I can open the big file in JOSM with JRE option -Xmx6G.
> Besides that the mp relation is 59766, the id 233877233 belongs to the outer
> way.
> And yes, splitter seems to drop the relation in the large file. I'll try to
> find out
> why.
>
> Gerd
>
> Thomas Morgenstern wrote
>> Hi at all, i am using splitter r429 and mkgmap r3695. Normally it works
>> perfekt. But now  it gives me a problem with multipolygons. I downloaded
>> and splitt latest-europe.osm.pbf from geofabrik, ---> splitt it with
>> splitter r429 for testing to 2 tiles, a big tile 80000707.osm.pbf and a
>> small tile 80000011.osm.pbf. The small tile is inner the big tile. Both
>> tiles contains the area with the multipolgon ID 23387723. Then compile
>> it for testing  separatly with mkgmap r3695. If the input is the small
>> tile 80000011.osm.pbf, it compile the img correct, *spezially the
>> multipolygon ID 233877233 (tags : name=Schloßteich; natural=water;
>> type=multipolygon) is present as 0x3c in resulting img. *See
>> img2ms.de/bilder/multipolygon-good.jpg. It is the blue lake name
>> ='Schlossteich'
>>
>> If i compile the big 80000707.osm.pbf, the resulting img has not this
>> area . *It seems for me, as if the multipolygon ID 23387723 is ignored*.
>> See img2ms.de/bilder/multipolygon-wrong.jpg. In both cases i use ident
>> style. It makes no different, if the default style or my own style is
>> used.
>>
>> I tried to found out, if the splitter produce the multipolygon in the
>> big 80000707.osm.pbf, but JOSM v11223  can not load the big (~25MB)
>> 80000707.osm.pbf. : JOSM --> open file 80000707.osm.pbf--> 'Lese
>> OSM-Daten...'--> and a few minutes later the MessageBox close, but the
>> osm.pbf shows not on the screen. Has the JOSM-plugin 'pbf: Version
>> 32865' any limitations ? My PC has 6 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows10.
>> Any hints are welcome. Download for both 80000*.osm.pbf :
>> img2ms.de/bilder/8000osm-pbf.rar:  Splittfile for splitter r429   :
>> img2ms.de/bilder/areas.list
>> regards Thomas

Re: splitter and josm problem

Thomas Morgenstern
Gerd,

for your information : i use splitter with this option's :
--split-file=D:\OSMKarten\OSMEuropa\areasEuropa.list --max-nodes=2000000
--max-areas=400 . Maybee i should change this option's  ?

thomas

Am 13.11.2016 um 12:03 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I can open the big file in JOSM with JRE option -Xmx6G.
> Besides that the mp relation is 59766, the id 233877233 belongs to the outer
> way.
> And yes, splitter seems to drop the relation in the large file. I'll try to
> find out
> why.
>
> Gerd
>
> Thomas Morgenstern wrote
>> Hi at all, i am using splitter r429 and mkgmap r3695. Normally it works
>> perfekt. But now  it gives me a problem with multipolygons. I downloaded
>> and splitt latest-europe.osm.pbf from geofabrik, ---> splitt it with
>> splitter r429 for testing to 2 tiles, a big tile 80000707.osm.pbf and a
>> small tile 80000011.osm.pbf. The small tile is inner the big tile. Both
>> tiles contains the area with the multipolgon ID 23387723. Then compile
>> it for testing  separatly with mkgmap r3695. If the input is the small
>> tile 80000011.osm.pbf, it compile the img correct, *spezially the
>> multipolygon ID 233877233 (tags : name=Schloßteich; natural=water;
>> type=multipolygon) is present as 0x3c in resulting img. *See
>> img2ms.de/bilder/multipolygon-good.jpg. It is the blue lake name
>> ='Schlossteich'
>>
>> If i compile the big 80000707.osm.pbf, the resulting img has not this
>> area . *It seems for me, as if the multipolygon ID 23387723 is ignored*.
>> See img2ms.de/bilder/multipolygon-wrong.jpg. In both cases i use ident
>> style. It makes no different, if the default style or my own style is
>> used.
>>
>> I tried to found out, if the splitter produce the multipolygon in the
>> big 80000707.osm.pbf, but JOSM v11223  can not load the big (~25MB)
>> 80000707.osm.pbf. : JOSM --> open file 80000707.osm.pbf--> 'Lese
>> OSM-Daten...'--> and a few minutes later the MessageBox close, but the
>> osm.pbf shows not on the screen. Has the JOSM-plugin 'pbf: Version
>> 32865' any limitations ? My PC has 6 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows10.
>> Any hints are welcome. Download for both 80000*.osm.pbf :
>> img2ms.de/bilder/8000osm-pbf.rar:  Splittfile for splitter r429   :
>> img2ms.de/bilder/areas.list
>> regards Thomas

Re: splitter and josm problem

Gerd Petermann
Hi Thomas,
Thomas Morgenstern wrote
Hi gerd thanks for your tests. I am waiting for your solution...
I've found a few errors in splitter until now, but no solution so far. The support of overlapping areas in split-file
is quite a brain teaser...

Gerd

Re: splitter and josm problem

Thomas Morgenstern
Danke für Deine Bemühungen, ich selbst bin leider nicht schlau genug, um
da mitreden zu können. Wundere mich nur, dass Anderen der Fehler bisher
nicht aufgefallen ist..

Thanks for your hint related  java option  - Xmx5000m.  It is possible,
to load a 25 MB osm.pbf in JOSM. I see in JOSM, that all nodes exist,
but the nodes has no tags! .That is the problem: splitter does not write
the tags to that nodes. It is curios, if the splittfile covers a big
area, then comes that error. But if the splittfile covers a small area,
all nodes has the tags. Thomas

Am 15.11.2016 um 17:00 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Morgenstern wrote
>> Hi gerd thanks for your tests. I am waiting for your solution...
> I've found a few errors in splitter until now, but no solution so far. The
> support of overlapping areas in split-file
> is quite a brain teaser...
>
> Gerd

Re: splitter and josm problem

Thomas Morgenstern

Hi Gerd, the old problem exists till now. I splitt europa-latest-osm.pbf using splitter r-580. But splitterr-580  do not proper splitt the multipolygon ("Schloßteich", 3 Elemente) [Kennung: 59.766] . The mp has tags: name=Schloßteich; natural=water, type=multipolygon. This mp has element Rolle=outer; 23387723 (86 Punkte) [Kennung : 23.387.723]. The error ist : all 86 nodes has no tags , but it should have the tags natural=water and name= Schloßteich from the multipolygon. See picture : img2ms.de/bilder/wrongsplit.jpg

split.list for this file : 50000707: 2367488, 593920 to 2390016, 634880

maybee you can have a look at that ? center of map is at lat 50.8419209  lon 12.914752

thomas

Am 13.11.2016 um 12:19 schrieb Thomas Morgenstern:
[...]

the problem was caused by your manually changed split file which contained small overlaps. Do you still use that one?
I think I fixed the problems with that one in r440.
Or maybe you created a new one which causes new problems?

Gerd

Re: splitter and josm problem

Thomas Morgenstern
  Overlaps ? okay, at first i will look at my complet splitt list and
delete existing overlaps...

till later ...

thomas

Am 01.04.2017 um 12:25 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> the problem was caused by your manually changed split file which contained small overlaps. Do you still use that one?
> I think I fixed the problems with that one in r440.
> Or maybe you created a new one which causes new problems?
>
> Gerd

just make sure to keep the splitfile it that really  caused the problem with r580.
In the moment I prefer to think that you used r429 by mistake ;-)

Gerd
  Overlaps ? okay, at first i will look at my complet splitt list and
delete existing overlaps...

till later ...

thomas

Am 01.04.2017 um 12:25 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> the problem was caused by your manually changed split file which contained small overlaps. Do you still use that one?
> I think I fixed the problems with that one in r440.
> Or maybe you created a new one which causes new problems?
>
> Gerd

I have controled my areasEuropa.list (download
:img2ms.de/bilder/areasEuropa.list). I found no overlapping around the
50000707. All neighbours 50000705; 50000709; 50000728; 50000729;
50000708 ;50000706; 50000705) have identical borders without any
overlapping. Or shout it have a overlapping ? how many Garmin-units ?

thomas

Am 01.04.2017 um 12:25 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> the problem was caused by your manually changed split file which contained small overlaps. Do you still use that one?
> I think I fixed the problems with that one in r440.
> Or maybe you created a new one which causes new problems?
>
> Gerd

splitter r580 cannot read this file without a few small changes (blanks added/removed).
After these changes it complains that there are overlaps.
Seems you are using a different file or a different program.

Gerd
I have controled my areasEuropa.list (download
:img2ms.de/bilder/areasEuropa.list). I found no overlapping around the
50000707. All neighbours 50000705; 50000709; 50000728; 50000729;
50000708 ;50000706; 50000705) have identical borders without any
overlapping. Or shout it have a overlapping ? how many Garmin-units ?

thomas

Am 01.04.2017 um 12:25 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> the problem was caused by your manually changed split file which contained small overlaps. Do you still use that one?
> I think I fixed the problems with that one in r440.
> Or maybe you created a new one which causes new problems?
>
> Gerd

I've changed splitter to print better information about the overlapping areas, please try r583,
it is now also able to parse the file http://img2ms.de/bilder/areasEuropa.list
With r583 I see these messages for that file:
Waring: The areas given in --split-file are overlapping.
overlapping areas 50000002 and 50000751 : (2848768,-1536000 to 3788800,-868352) and (2482176,-1536000 to 3149533,-868352)
overlapping areas 50000353 and 50000786 : (2125824,671744 to 2125825,727040) and (2125824,671744 to 2164736,727040)
overlapping areas 50000657 and 50000658 : (2478080,671744 to 2544552,727074) and (2428928,727040 to 2490368,819200)
overlapping areas 50000657 and 50000660 : (2478080,671744 to 2544552,727074) and (2490368,727040 to 2584576,858112)
overlapping areas 50000660 and 50000756 : (2490368,727040 to 2584576,858112) and (2544552,671744 to 2584576,727074)
Overlaping tiles: [50000002, 50000353, 50000657, 50000658, 50000660, 50000751, 50000756, 50000786]
(the first one is a huge overlap)
It doesn't report 50000707, so I assume that you are looking at old data in that case.

Besides that overlaps are not forbidden by splitter, you just have to make sure that you don't put overlapping areas
into the same gmapsupp as that will cause routing problems.

Gerd

I have controled my areasEuropa.list (download
:img2ms.de/bilder/areasEuropa.list). I found no overlapping around the
50000707. All neighbours 50000705; 50000709; 50000728; 50000729;
50000708 ;50000706; 50000705) have identical borders without any
overlapping. Or shout it have a overlapping ? how many Garmin-units ?

thomas

Am 01.04.2017 um 12:25 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> the problem was caused by your manually changed split file which contained small overlaps. Do you still use that one?
> I think I fixed the problems with that one in r440.
> Or maybe you created a new one which causes new problems?
>
> Gerd

Hi, I have maked a new split with splitter r-440. And splitter r-440
worked without error. Espacially all nodes of multipolygons have the
tag=value like as expected.

thomas
Am 01.04.2017 um 13:39 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> splitter r580 cannot read this file without a few small changes (blanks added/removed).
> After these changes it complains that there are overlaps.
> Seems you are using a different file or a different program.
>
> Gerd

Thanks, i will fix the overlapping tomorrow and test again...

thomas