maxstay=0

joost
Hi,

The most common value for maxstay=* is 0. There is no guidance on the wiki on how to interpret this. However, the below is used to explain that you cannot use the parking on Sunday and public holidays.

maxstay:conditional=0 @ (Su,PH)

Looking at the data around me, I think maxstay=0 is used by mappers to say there is no signposted maxstay. So that would be synonymous with saying it is "default". Which we generally don't map. So I would just remove them in my area.

However, we could also chose to say "maxstay=0" actually does mean "default". After all, it is what mappers seem to do. But that would mean the above conditional example is wrong.
That doesn't really matter, since:

a) it makes no sense, this should be a conditional access tag instead and we should remove these examples from the wiki
b) there are only a very few uses worldwide of this logic

Am I reading this right? Am I missing something? What do you think is the best solution: defining maxstay=0 as "you can stay for exactly no time at all" and making most of the existing data wrong? Or saying maxstay=0 means maxstay=default and should hence not be mapped at all in most cases?

--
Joost Schouppe

Re: maxstay=0

marc marc
Hello,

Le 15.07.19 à 13:33, joost schouppe a écrit :
> The most common value for maxstay=* is 0.

we had this discussion a few weeks ago.
I have retained 3 different usecases:
- there is no panel: unsigned=maxstay
- it is forbidden to stay, only stop : maxstay=load-unload
- it is permitted to stay for an unlimited period
of time maxstay=unlimited

not documented before use, the values 0 and not are ambiguous
and will require a survey to know their exact meaning.

Regards,
Marc

Re: maxstay=0

joost
Thanks Marc, my searching skills failed me again it seems.

I've added a little section about maxtay=0 to the wiki.

Op ma 15 jul. 2019 om 15:21 schreef marc marc <[hidden email]>:
Hello,

Le 15.07.19 à 13:33, joost schouppe a écrit :
> The most common value for maxstay=* is 0.

we had this discussion a few weeks ago.
I have retained 3 different usecases:
- there is no panel: unsigned=maxstay
- it is forbidden to stay, only stop : maxstay=load-unload
- it is permitted to stay for an unlimited period
of time maxstay=unlimited

not documented before use, the values 0 and not are ambiguous
and will require a survey to know their exact meaning.

Regards,
Marc

Joost Schouppe

Re: maxstay=0

Mark Wagner
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 13:33:46 +0200
joost schouppe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The most common value for maxstay=* is 0. There is no guidance on the
> wiki on how to interpret this. However, the below is used to explain
> that you cannot use the parking on Sunday and public holidays.
>
> maxstay:conditional=0 @ (Su,PH)
>
> Looking at the data around me, I think maxstay=0 is used by mappers
> to say there is no signposted maxstay. So that would be synonymous
> with saying it is "default". Which we generally don't map. So I would
> just remove them in my area.

Looking at the instances in the US, apart from a cluster of parking
lots in Boston, every "maxstay=0" was added by a different user.
Additionally, there's no obvious consistency of meaning.  The best
thing to do is to define "maxstay=0" as a mapping error, with no
meaning.

--
Mark

Re: maxstay=0

Mateusz Konieczny-3

15 Jul 2019, 13:33 by [hidden email]:
Hi,

The most common value for maxstay=* is 0. There is no guidance on the wiki on how to interpret this. However, the below is used to explain that you cannot use the parking on Sunday and public holidays.

maxstay:conditional=0 @ (Su,PH)
Is there any good reason for not using access:conditional for this case?