missing roads

Lars Aronsson

Zooming out to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.017085937500000002
I only see roads of Oslo and the parts of the Linköping area that
I drew in my first days on OSM.

Zooming in to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.011390625000000001
I also get the coast road up to Stockholm (but not north of it)
and the road from Linköping south-west to Jönköping.

Zooming in further to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.007593750000000001
I see half of the road connecting Linköping with Norrköping,

and finally zooming in to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.0050625
I see Linköping fully connected with Norrköping.

Is this a feature or a bug in the new white-on-black line drawing?
Why are some roads showing, but not others?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: missing roads

stevec-4
* @ 16/07/05 05:07:24 AM [hidden email] wrote:

> Zooming out to
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.017085937500000002
> I only see roads of Oslo and the parts of the Linköping area that
> I drew in my first days on OSM.
>
> Zooming in to
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.011390625000000001
> I also get the coast road up to Stockholm (but not north of it)
> and the road from Linköping south-west to Jönköping.
>
> Zooming in further to
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.007593750000000001
> I see half of the road connecting Linköping with Norrköping,
>
> and finally zooming in to
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?lat=58.4&lon=16.4125&scale=0.0050625
> I see Linköping fully connected with Norrköping.
>
> Is this a feature or a bug in the new white-on-black line drawing?
> Why are some roads showing, but not others?

Two things can limit it, but fundamentally there should be no difference
with the old renderer.

The first is the renderer limits to getting 5,000 nodes. So if you have
too many segments in your map you lose. Had to do this because people
were zooming out to the entire world and hammering the server. This is a
feature.

The second is that if you have a segment that crosses your map, but both
its nodes are outside the map area, it doesn't get shown. This is a bug.
There are various image caching things I want to get going which will
speed things up and fix this... but I have 14,000 other things to fix.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/