natural=heath

sk53.osm
Somehow I have been oblivious to the fact that large numbers of polygons tagged natural=heath have been added over the past few months to OSM.

I only noticed these when looking at old traces on the new GPX trace overlay. Specifically I noticed them on the Snowdon range extending beyond Moel Eilio.

I have now reviewed my photographs taken in 2010 for the countryside extending N of Moel Eilio to the pass between Foel Goch and Moel Cynghorion. As it was a beautiful day the photos also provide valuable interpretive evidence not only for the rest of the Snowdon range, but for the Northern Glyders, Mynydd Mawr and the Nantlle Ridge.

Both in detail and in long view the vast bulk of this countryside is unimproved grassland, which is why it is used for sheep farming and not grouse moors. There appears to be a small patch of heather moorland beyond the forestry to the N of Moel Eiio, and possibly a patch in one of the valleys to the E.

In addition to reviewing my own photos I have also checked the same areas against the Phase 1 habitat survey carried out by the Countryside Commission of Wales roughly between 1980-1995. This also shows the vast bulk of the area as being acid grassland, albeit with some small areas of mosaic grassland and heath. Unfortunately I cannot show this analysis because I obtained the data under an distinctly non-open licence and need explicit permission from Natural Resources Wales to publish the data.

This is not to say that the use of tag natural=heath is wrong. Many of the areas which have recently been mapped as natural=heath can also be described as moorland or rough grazing depending on context (upland or coastal).

The more usual use of heath, certainly within communities of naturalists, conservationists and ecologists, is for habitats dominated by ericaceous (members of the heather family) shrubs & sub-shrubs: i.e., heather, bell heather, heaths, bilberry, crowberry etc.

The phase 1 habitat manual (phase 1 is the basic ecological survey technique developed by the Joint Nature Conservation Committee, JNCC) states:

"Heathland includes vegetation dominated by ericoids or dwarf gorse species, as well as 'heaths' dominated by lichens and bryophytes, dwarf forbs, Carex bigelowii or Juncus trifidus." (p. 41, 2010 revision)"

Personally, I would prefer that we stick to a definition similar to this one. There is not likely to an entirely straightforward correspondence with Phase 1 as some upland heather moorland may get mapped in Phase 1 onto other habitats, particularly if underlain by large quantities of peat.

The reasons for this are:
  • Habitats are different. Habitats as different as these should be tagged differently. Upland and coastal unimproved grasslands are very different habitats to heather moorland and very very different from rare lowland heaths. Just the range of birds one encounters will be different. On the former I expect to see Meadow Pipits, Wheatears and no Red Grouse. Lowland heaths in Southern England are habitats for quite rare birds: Nightjars, Woodlarks, Dartford Warblers.
  • Terrain underfoot is different. There is a massive difference between walking though knee-deep heather in places like the Rhinogs or the Mull of Kintyre, the lovely turf on the ridges N of Snowdon, or tussocky coastal grassland. We should be capturing such things.
  • Visual differences. The image of the country is different. Most apparent when heather is in bloom.
  • Landuse differences. Most obviously sheep grazing versus grouse moor, although sheep may still be encountered on the latter.
  • Obscuring rare natural areas. Genuine lowland heath is a rare phenomenon in Britain and requires great conservation effort. Extension of the natural=heath tag to cover other things means that identifying these special areas using OSM will not be possible.

I reviewing the extent of current use of natural=heath I may already be too late in preventing an extension of its meaning to cover more or less all non-intensively farmed areas which aren't wooded. Notwithstanding this I would like to canvas views from other mappers. If the current usage of the tag is deemed to be the suitable one then we need to develop additional tags which allow the recognition of all the features I mention above.

Regards,

Jerry

Re: natural=heath

ael-3
On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:53:51AM +0000, SK53 wrote:
> Somehow I have been oblivious to the fact that large numbers of polygons
> tagged natural=heath have been added over the past few months to OSM.

I too have encountered at least one armchair mapper who (in my view)
incorrectly tagged large areas of Bodmin moor with this nonsense.
I changed this rubbish in the areas that I have directly surveyed, but
did not think that I should override another mapper who clearly had
spent a lot of effort in adjacent areas without consultation.

I first noticed this problem several months ago: I cannot remember
whether I tried to contact the mapper to ask what was happening.

I have had other instances of armchair mappers adding what I regard as
very dubious landuse tags to areas that I have extensively surveyed.
When I contacted one of the main offenders; I didn't get a very helpful
response.

Anyway, I suspect that this is a problem over large areas.

ael

Re: natural=heath

Andy Townsend
On 09/01/2017 11:53, SK53 wrote:
> Somehow I have been oblivious to the fact that large numbers of
> polygons tagged natural=heath have been added over the past few months
> to OSM.

I think what's happening here is one mapper "colouring in" without any
particular knowledge of the area.  Whilst adding the results of some
mapping in South Wals I came across a number of heath landuse polygons
south of Talybont that bore almost no resemblance to on-the-ground
features - it didn't align with existing walls, or woodland, or anything
to better than 100m in cases.  They've been contacted a couple of times
about it, and haven't replied, so with a DWG hat on I sent them
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/1104 which was intended to
improve mapping quality and responsiveness. The former has happened (a
bit); the latter not so much.

If all the places that were originally added as natural=heath by this
mapper were removed I don't think we'd have a significantly worse map,
and it'd be easier to map these features properly.

There will be occasions where people have fixed up significant portions
of this mappers work, and it'd be great to keep that (there's a massive
"heath" http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/456253921 between Merthyr and
Crickhowell that I've tidied the Talybont side of - but unfortunately
that's only 20% of this one object - I'd be surprised if it is Heath at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/456253921#map=17/51.76532/-3.33642&layers=H
for example), but maybe the solution there is to slice away the parts
with nodes added by this mapper from the parts with nodes added by others?

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: natural=heath

Andy Townsend
On 09/01/2017 12:28, ael wrote:
> When I contacted one of the main offenders; I didn't get a very
> helpful response.

It's a shame that this happens, but please do keep trying to contact
other mappers where there's a problem like this.  If for no other
reason, it exposes the problem on
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussions?c=United%20Kingdom#4/54.16/-1.98
.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: natural=heath

Jez Nicholson
has there ever been discussion about code branching in OSM? In git terms, we are all making changes direct to master. I'm wondering whether small changes could be automatically approved and large changes would require peer review first.

I know that this is a huge change to the base infrastructure, so maybe a bot that auto-challenges large/sweeping changes?

....or is this like in QI when the siren goes off because someone proposes something that has is a commonly held fallacy? or been discussed ad nauseam

- Jez

On 09/01/2017 12:40, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> ...  so maybe a bot that auto-challenges large/sweeping changes?

I can just see it - "Clippy for OSM" - "It looks as if you are crayoning
in some landuse?  May I suggest you leave your chair and map what is
outside your door?"  :)

More seriously, edits are public, and feeds such as Pascal Neis's,
Whodidit and OsmCha allow monitoring of changes in an area, so if you
see something that "looks wrong" please do investigate and contact the
user about it.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: natural=heath

Dan S
> has there ever been discussion about code branching in OSM? In git terms, we
> are all making changes direct to master. I'm wondering whether small changes
> could be automatically approved and large changes would require peer review
> first. I know that this is a huge change to the base infrastructure

Yes there has been discussion of this, but not on talk-gb because
talk-gb isn't really the place for it ;)
It's a very difficult idea to convert osm to a "branching" data model,
because of some awkward issues such as universal identifiers for
objects and versions.
But! There has been some work on an interesting project which sort-of
enables branching-and-merging, in the HOT world:
https://hi.stamen.com/merging-offline-edits-with-the-posm-replay-tool-2f39a4410d2a

> so maybe a bot
> that auto-challenges large/sweeping changes?

I think we pretty much already have this, thanks to various monitoring
tools (recently, OSMCHA - very helpful), except that the "bot" is the
community.

> ....or is this like in QI when the siren goes off because someone proposes
> something that has is a commonly held fallacy? or been discussed ad nauseam

Best not to discourage people who are coming "new to old ideas" imho,
though talk-gb's not the ideal venue so I'd suggest using a dev
forum...

Dan

> - Jez
>
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 at 12:29 ael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:53:51AM +0000, SK53 wrote:
>> > Somehow I have been oblivious to the fact that large numbers of polygons
>> > tagged natural=heath have been added over the past few months to OSM.
>>

>> I too have encountered at least one armchair mapper who (in my view)
>> incorrectly tagged large areas of Bodmin moor with this nonsense.
>> I changed this rubbish in the areas that I have directly surveyed, but
>> did not think that I should override another mapper who clearly had
>> spent a lot of effort in adjacent areas without consultation.
>>
>> I first noticed this problem several months ago: I cannot remember
>> whether I tried to contact the mapper to ask what was happening.
>>
>> I have had other instances of armchair mappers adding what I regard as
>> very dubious landuse tags to areas that I have extensively surveyed.
>> When I contacted one of the main offenders; I didn't get a very helpful
>> response.
>>
>> Anyway, I suspect that this is a problem over large areas.
>>
>> ael

Re: natural=heath

sk53.osm
No-one has solved conflation in OSM, so there is no mechanism for re-merging branches (I suspect that it's fundamentally very hard for geo data).

If there were usable common conflation techniques there would be many fewer problems with imports.

A more viable approach is a post-processed version of OSM data. A couple of the firms doing routing apps do various QA routines before pushing out new releases. The problem is that it's quite easy to do decent post-processing clean-up on data for specific domains (roads, boundaries, retail etc), but one gets back to the conflation problem it it's necessary to merge these together again.

Jerry

On 9 January 2017 at 12:40, Jez Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:
has there ever been discussion about code branching in OSM? In git terms, we are all making changes direct to master. I'm wondering whether small changes could be automatically approved and large changes would require peer review first.

I know that this is a huge change to the base infrastructure, so maybe a bot that auto-challenges large/sweeping changes?

....or is this like in QI when the siren goes off because someone proposes something that has is a commonly held fallacy? or been discussed ad nauseam

- Jez

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 at 12:29 ael <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:53:51AM +0000, SK53 wrote:
> Somehow I have been oblivious to the fact that large numbers of polygons
> tagged natural=heath have been added over the past few months to OSM.

I too have encountered at least one armchair mapper who (in my view)
incorrectly tagged large areas of Bodmin moor with this nonsense.
I changed this rubbish in the areas that I have directly surveyed, but
did not think that I should override another mapper who clearly had
spent a lot of effort in adjacent areas without consultation.

I first noticed this problem several months ago: I cannot remember
whether I tried to contact the mapper to ask what was happening.

I have had other instances of armchair mappers adding what I regard as
very dubious landuse tags to areas that I have extensively surveyed.
When I contacted one of the main offenders; I didn't get a very helpful
response.

Anyway, I suspect that this is a problem over large areas.

ael

Monitoring OSM changes (was Re: natural=heath)

Adrian McEwen
On 09/01/17 12:50, Andy Townsend wrote:
> More seriously, edits are public, and feeds such as Pascal Neis's,
> Whodidit and OsmCha allow monitoring of changes in an area, so if you
> see something that "looks wrong" please do investigate and contact the
> user about it.

Is there a good introduction to those sorts of feeds anywhere?

I did set up some changes-in-a-given-area RSS feeds from ITOworld years
ago (I'd explain what they are better, but while the feeds still work
I've forgotten my login to go and get the tool's name :-D)

I'm wondering (and there are often hints, like Andy's comment above,
that such tools exist) if there are better/more tools these days to:
  1) Keep an eye on all changes for a given geographic area
  2) Watch for all changesets that use a given tag (obviously that'd be
too much of a firehose for some tags, but for others it'd help people
keep an eye on particular sorts of edits)

Cheers,

Adrian.

Re: Monitoring OSM changes (was Re: natural=heath)

Ed Loach-2
Adrian wrote:
> I did set up some changes-in-a-given-area RSS feeds from ITOworld
> years
> ago (I'd explain what they are better, but while the feeds still work
> I've forgotten my login to go and get the tool's name :-D)

You might not have forgotten your ITO world login - if you have an RSS feed and follow the url the login from that doesn't work.

You have to already have logged in via http://www.itoworld.com in your browser before clicking on the url in the email.

Or at least that works for me.

Ed

Re: natural=heath

David Groom

I have came across a similar issue where areas of mainly grass, but with some gorse bushes, on chalk downland had been changed to natural=heath, when I contacted the mapper about it he said something along the lines of, "well I've seen it done like that elsewhere"

David

On 09/01/17 14:44, Ed Loach wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>> I did set up some changes-in-a-given-area RSS feeds from ITOworld
>> years
>> ago (I'd explain what they are better, but while the feeds still work
>> I've forgotten my login to go and get the tool's name :-D)
> You might not have forgotten your ITO world login - if you have an RSS feed and follow the url the login from that doesn't work.
>
> You have to already have logged in via http://www.itoworld.com in your browser before clicking on the url in the email.
>
> Or at least that works for me.
>
> Ed

Ah.  I probably did fall foul of that.  That's good to know for the
future.  In the meantime I have reset my login, so can now confirm (what
everyone else probably already knew :-) that it's OSM Mapper that I've
been using for that.

Would still be interested to hear about what other tools I could/should
be using :-)

Cheers,

Adrian.

Re: Monitoring OSM changes (was Re: natural=heath)

Dave F

On 09/01/2017 14:55, Adrian McEwen wrote:
> Ah.  I probably did fall foul of that.  That's good to know for the
> future.  In the meantime I have reset my login, so can now confirm
> (what everyone else probably already knew :-) that it's OSM Mapper
> that I've been using for that.
>
> Would still be interested to hear about what other tools I
> could/should be using :-)

WhoDidIt returns just the changeset boundary & occasionally misses a few
edits (unsure why).

I use Overpass Turbo http://overpass-turbo.eu/

With this routine:

[out:json][timeout:25];
(
( node(newer:"{{date:1Day}}")({{bbox}});
  way(newer:"{{date:1Day}}")({{bbox}});
)
-
(
  node(newer:"{{date:1Day}}")(user:"DaveF")({{bbox}});
  way(newer:"{{date:1Day}}")(user:"DaveF")({{bbox}});
)
);
out meta geom;

Change user name & time length to suit:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_turbo/Extended_Overpass_Turbo_Queries

DaveF

---

On 09/01/2017 14:38, Adrian McEwen wrote:
> On 09/01/17 12:50, Andy Townsend wrote:
>> More seriously, edits are public, and feeds such as Pascal Neis's,
>> Whodidit and OsmCha allow monitoring of changes in an area, so if you
>> see something that "looks wrong" please do investigate and contact
>> the user about it.
>
> Is there a good introduction to those sorts of feeds anywhere?

Here's a list of some of the ones that I use:

New UK mappers:
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm?c=United%20Kingdom#8/52.955/-0.654

Monitoring changes in a local area:
http://zverik.osm.rambler.ru/whodidit/?zoom=12&lat=53.15581&lon=-1.36634&layers=BTT
(actually an RSS feed is available, and there are a couple of
"Whodidits" around - check the wiki for info)

There's also https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/Changeset1 which runs
from the command line and lists bounding box overlaps (and some other
things, like unfeasibly large buildings).

Checking for notes with certain content:
http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/notes/search?q=test&closed=0

Notes country feed:
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-notes-country-feed?c=United%20Kingdom&a=opened

Searching for a particular editor, among other things:
http://osmcha-django-staging.tilestream.net/?editor__icontains=osmapi%2F0.8.1&is_suspect=False&is_whitelisted=All&harmful=False&checked=All

Looking at MAPS.ME activity:
http://mmwatch.osmz.ru/?country=United+Kingdom

Relation history:
http://osm.mapki.com/history/relation.php?id=50288
(you can check nodes and ways too)
See also:
http://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/

Changeset visualisation:
http://osmhv.openstreetmap.de/changeset.jsp?id=45015316
For very large changesets, zoom in to where you are interested in, turn
the "pistemap" layer on (which fails to display) then zoom out to show
the nearest change to you, then turn the "pistemap" layer off to see
where it is.

Username changes over time:
http://whosthat.osmz.ru/

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Monitoring OSM changes (was Re: natural=heath)

Derick Rethans
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Andy Townsend wrote:

> On 09/01/2017 14:38, Adrian McEwen wrote:
> > On 09/01/17 12:50, Andy Townsend wrote:
> > > More seriously, edits are public, and feeds such as Pascal Neis's,
> > > Whodidit and OsmCha allow monitoring of changes in an area, so if you see
> > > something that "looks wrong" please do investigate and contact the user
> > > about it.
> >
> > Is there a good introduction to those sorts of feeds anywhere?
>
> Here's a list of some of the ones that I use:
>
> New UK mappers:
> http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm?c=United%20Kingdom#8/52.955/-0.654
>
> Monitoring changes in a local area:
> http://zverik.osm.rambler.ru/whodidit/?zoom=12&lat=53.15581&lon=-1.36634&layers=BTT
> (actually an RSS feed is available, and there are a couple of "Whodidits"
> around - check the wiki for info)

I tie this in with IFTTT (If This Than That) to send me an email every
time it triggers.

cheers,
Derick

--
https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io
Like Xdebug? Consider a donation: https://xdebug.org/donate.php

Re: natural=heath

ael-3
On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:53:51AM +0000, SK53 wrote:
> Somehow I have been oblivious to the fact that large numbers of polygons
> tagged natural=heath have been added over the past few months to OSM.

I have just found the message to the mapper who changed area on Bodmin
Moor to heath: that was almost 1 year ago, so this has been going on for
a long time.

The mapper replied politely saying that he had used Bing imagery, but
conceded that "moorland" was more accurate. But added that moorland was
not rendered.

I commented back then on https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/36605141

ael

Re: natural=heath

sk53.osm
I'm currently reviewing some Corine imported data in Brittany in an area I visited in 2015 with a view to understanding more about how natural=heath has been used.

Jerry