netCDF support

Cooper, Wade

Hi all,

I recently installed uDig v 1.2 and would like to view netCDF files.  I’ve seen mention of netCDF support directly in uDig, at least discussed in a user-list email last January.  However, I couldn’t find an option to open a netCDF file in uDig– is this dataset option still a proposal?  If so, any estimates on when it may be incorporated?

I found some examples of netCDF support through the JGrass plugins so I installed them.  But, when I try using the Netcdf Dataset Wizard to open local .nc files or files on a THREDDS server, I keep getting an ‘unable to load’ in the uDig catalog.

Has netCDF support has been incorporated into uDig and/or JGrass, and if so, what may I be missing to open these files?

Thanks.

Re: netCDF support

Andrea Antonello
Hi Wade,

> I recently installed uDig v 1.2 and would like to view netCDF files.  I’ve
> seen mention of netCDF support directly in uDig, at least discussed in a
> user-list email last January.  However, I couldn’t find an option to open a
> netCDF file in uDig– is this dataset option still a proposal?  If so, any
> estimates on when it may be incorporated?

I had started a proposal to include the netcdf format into the udig
core, but it was blocked by some packagenaming-lincense issues. So no
idea when I want to start on that soon.

> I found some examples of netCDF support through the JGrass plugins so I
> installed them.  But, when I try using the Netcdf Dataset Wizard to open
> local .nc files or files on a THREDDS server, I keep getting an ‘unable to
> load’ in the uDig catalog.

That is odd and might be due to some package mismatch from the
imageio-ext that is now in udig.
I didn't try that for the release (thought there would be no
problems), but I sure want to have netcdf working for JGrass.

> Has netCDF support has been incorporated into uDig and/or JGrass, and if so,
> what may I be missing to open these files?

I guess nothing, it is probably a bug, since anyways it should not
write "unable to open map".
I will look into it, would you be able to send me a file that doesn't
work for you?

Ciao,
Andrea

> Thanks.

Re: netCDF support

Cooper, Wade
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's an example THREDDS dataset where I get 'unable to load' in the Catalog going through the NetCDF Dataset Wizard:

http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/wms/oceanwindsfilesys/SI/uv/monthly/netcdf/uv201004.nc

It opens up fine with the Java netCDF API and ToolsUI.  All local files i've tested too end up with the same inability to load through JGrass.  Let me know if you have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, or if there's a bug with the new release.

Thanks,
Wade

> I recently installed uDig v 1.2 and would like to view netCDF files.  I've
> seen mention of netCDF support directly in uDig, at least discussed in a
> user-list email last January.  However, I couldn't find an option to open a
> netCDF file in uDig- is this dataset option still a proposal?  If so, any
> estimates on when it may be incorporated?

I had started a proposal to include the netcdf format into the udig
core, but it was blocked by some packagenaming-lincense issues. So no
idea when I want to start on that soon.

> I found some examples of netCDF support through the JGrass plugins so I
> installed them.  But, when I try using the Netcdf Dataset Wizard to open
> local .nc files or files on a THREDDS server, I keep getting an 'unable to
> load' in the uDig catalog.

That is odd and might be due to some package mismatch from the
imageio-ext that is now in udig.
I didn't try that for the release (thought there would be no
problems), but I sure want to have netcdf working for JGrass.

> Has netCDF support has been incorporated into uDig and/or JGrass, and if so,
> what may I be missing to open these files?

I guess nothing, it is probably a bug, since anyways it should not
write "unable to open map".
I will look into it, would you be able to send me a file that doesn't
work for you?

Ciao,
Andrea

> Thanks.

Re: netCDF support

Andrea Antonello
Hi Wade,
I just gave the dataet a try and it is as I thought.

In the new udig a library necessary for loading the netcdf datasets
has been removed during the last releasing.
That is really bad, since the JGrass plugins that way miss the lib and
do not work for netcdf. I just now tried to substitute the new lib
into the udig libs plugin, but that is not enough.

This will mean that I will have to do a new release for JGrass, which
I won't be able to do in a very short time I am afraid. This is a
really bad problem, i'll try my best to get it going as soon as
possible.

Andrea

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Cooper, Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Here's an example THREDDS dataset where I get 'unable to load' in the Catalog going through the NetCDF Dataset Wizard:
>
> http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/wms/oceanwindsfilesys/SI/uv/monthly/netcdf/uv201004.nc
>
> It opens up fine with the Java netCDF API and ToolsUI.  All local files i've tested too end up with the same inability to load through JGrass.  Let me know if you have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, or if there's a bug with the new release.
>
> Thanks,
> Wade

Re: netCDF support

Cooper, Wade
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for diagnosing the problem, and i'll keep an eye out for a new release when you get to it.

Wade

I just gave the dataet a try and it is as I thought.

In the new udig a library necessary for loading the netcdf datasets
has been removed during the last releasing.
That is really bad, since the JGrass plugins that way miss the lib and
do not work for netcdf. I just now tried to substitute the new lib
into the udig libs plugin, but that is not enough.

This will mean that I will have to do a new release for JGrass, which
I won't be able to do in a very short time I am afraid. This is a
really bad problem, i'll try my best to get it going as soon as
possible.

Andrea

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Cooper, Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Here's an example THREDDS dataset where I get 'unable to load' in the Catalog going through the NetCDF Dataset Wizard:
>
> http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/wms/oceanwindsfilesys/SI/uv/monthly/netcdf/uv201004.nc
>
> It opens up fine with the Java netCDF API and ToolsUI.  All local files i've tested too end up with the same inability to load through JGrass.  Let me know if you have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, or if there's a bug with the new release.
>
> Thanks,
> Wade

Re: netCDF support

Andrea Antonello
Hei Wade,
since in another list people asked to try the netcdf enabled JGrass
version, I put one version we used for a course here:
http://tinyurl.com/32d6svr
You will find a proper udig version + the update site that installs
JGrass with netcdf support (as local update site).
CF netcdfs are supported. You best import the netcdf through the udig
data import wizard.
To see non-gridded data, rightclick on the dataset and under
operations you have a way to open the data viewer.

If you want to give it a go, this might help until the next version is not out.

Ciao
Andrea

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Cooper, Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks for diagnosing the problem, and i'll keep an eye out for a new release when you get to it.
>
> Wade

Re: netCDF support

Cooper, Wade
Thanks Andrea!

I got a file to load and view, so I appreciate the help in providing this version.

Wade

since in another list people asked to try the netcdf enabled JGrass
version, I put one version we used for a course here:
http://tinyurl.com/32d6svr
You will find a proper udig version + the update site that installs
JGrass with netcdf support (as local update site).
CF netcdfs are supported. You best import the netcdf through the udig
data import wizard.
To see non-gridded data, rightclick on the dataset and under
operations you have a way to open the data viewer.

If you want to give it a go, this might help until the next version is not out.

Ciao
Andrea

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Cooper, Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks for diagnosing the problem, and i'll keep an eye out for a new release when you get to it.
>
> Wade

Re: netCDF support

Andrea Antonello
> I got a file to load and view, so I appreciate the help in providing this version.

Great. If you have issues, please report them here. The module wasn't
tested intensively.
The fixes will go in the next release.

Ciao
Andrea